Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Leslie County 81 Owsley County 64 (14th Region Quarter Finals)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final from Hazard
Leslie dominated ! I don't see how they they won there District? An if knott runs estill out of the gym! I'am have some big questions for the coaches voting the girl from estill the MVP for the 14 region!
Just my opinion but bad officiating is how they won districts. And Flynn does deserve the award very hard working and talented young lady.
Lee county has been the best team in that district all year but like sometimes happens in the tournament the best team loses. I think Estill will give a better showing maybe even beat Knott. The Gibson girl is a great player but will graduate before the rest of the team matures enough to help her. What would be wrong with her moving to a school with a solid team to up her chances of getting a full ride at a good college. If we are wanting what's best for her and we should be,it shouldn't be any problem
hillbilly cat Wrote:Leslie dominated ! I don't see how they they won there District? An if knott runs estill out of the gym! I'am have some big questions for the coaches voting the girl from estill the MVP for the 14 region!

First off Leslie didn't dominate. This was a 8/9 point game throughout. Owsley was within striking distance for the entire game until they lost three starters to fouls and Leslie made their free throws late. Also need to factor in that Leslie shot ball extremely well 10/19 from the three and 24/27 from the foul line. Not taking anything away from Leslie as you yourself said they may very well win the region. I myself for sometime have considered them along with PCC and Knott as favorites. So wondering how Owsley won their district and basing it on a lose to a top 2 regional team doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As you said in your post from the LCC thread matchups are very important. This was not a perfect matchup for a young Owsley team. Owsley has a very nice young team that I guarantee teams will not want to see in the future.
I for one am very proud of our girls and have a huge smile on my face when I look into the future. Said it before and will say it again if your an Owsley fan get ready for a fun ride, for everyone else be ready to play because I guarantee they will be.
Big Hammer Wrote:Lee county has been the best team in that district all year but like sometimes happens in the tournament the best team loses. I think Estill will give a better showing maybe even beat Knott. The Gibson girl is a great player but will graduate before the rest of the team matures enough to help her. What would be wrong with her moving to a school with a solid team to up her chances of getting a full ride at a good college. If we are wanting what's best for her and we should be,it shouldn't be any problem

Friendship, Loyalty, and Pride right off the top of my head. Everyone can dream but she isn't going anywhere.
Big Hammer Wrote:Lee county has been the best team in that district all year but like sometimes happens in the tournament the best team loses. I think Estill will give a better showing maybe even beat Knott. The Gibson girl is a great player but will graduate before the rest of the team matures enough to help her. What would be wrong with her moving to a school with a solid team to up her chances of getting a full ride at a good college. If we are wanting what's best for her and we should be,it shouldn't be any problem

In my opinion that is just a really poor take on the game from last night. Leslie shot the ball extremely well and if they do so through rest of tourney anyone will struggle to beat them, PCC included.

Secondly, Gibson is the best player in the 14th region and unlike some other kids has something called loyalty. She loves her team and her school and frankly it means just a little more than winning a few more games in high school. She will get the recognition she needs to get offers to college without transferring to one of those other schools like so many others tend to do. Say what you want about Owsley but they are getting better every game and I look for them to make some real noise next year.
To be honest, I don't see why they pick the best player for a region so early. They should wait until after tournament, if you ask me. Best players usually rise at tourney time. Just my two cents.
hillbilly cat Wrote:Leslie dominated ! I don't see how they they won there District? An if knott runs estill out of the gym! I'am have some big questions for the coaches voting the girl from estill the MVP for the 14 region!

Leslie led most of the game but they didn't dominate. This was an 11 point game with just a few minutes left to play and Leslie held the ball until they were fouled. They hit 24/27 from the foul line and scored 30 points on 3 pointers 10/19). Those kind of stats would have beaten any team in the region, including Perry Central. Those stats would have easily beaten any other team from the 56th district as well, probably much more than this game final 17 point difference, which by the way, was Leslie's largest lead of the night and was enhanced by the fact that Owsley's guards had fouled out , Leslie held the ball until they were fouled, and then hit free throws like it was a layup.

Leslie was the hottest shooting team I've seen in a game this year. If they remain that accurate the rest of the tournament they will be returning to the state tournament.

Owsley had the misfortune of drawing the defending region champions on a night that they had their A+ game on. Some of those 3's were well behind the arc.

On another note, as has already been mentioned in Owsley threads throughout this season, the Owls play several 8th graders who play key roles. One of those 8th graders is left handed guard Lexy Lynch. She fouled out midway through the 4th quarter and that really hurt Owsley against the press, which Leslie played until the final horn. Two of Lynch's fouls were on driving layups where she scored but the basket was wiped off by one of the refs with a charge calls. I realize that the officials on the floor have a closer view of a play but from my advantage point from the stands it looked like both times the defenders were late getting to the spot, actually moving laterally, and both calls should have been blocking fouls on Leslie and basket good. But that's just my opinion.

One more observation. If the refs allow Leslie to play as physical in their press as they did in this game then they will be a tough out. Numerous times they forced the Owls into turnovers by virtue of double team defense and needless to say they got a lot of easy layups from some pushes and whacks across the arms as they stole the ball.I have no problem with officials if they call that way, but be consistent with it on both ends of the floor. Macie Gibson was fouled a lot under the basket on shots and rebound put back attempts. She could have easily had 10 more free throw attempts to add to her 39 points. She sometimes don't get those calls simply because she is so much bigger and stronger than others players. My guess is she will be pretty sore today from last night's game. She's used to it though. I never hear her complain much about it. I suppose it's part of the game to adjust to.

I like Leslie's team and they have great coaches. Wishing them all the luck in winning the tournament. I know quite a few people from Leslie and have friends there. If they continue their hot shooting that they exhibited in this game I think they're on their way. That PCC 20 point district loss must have been an anomaly.
Leslie played a really good game and the owls never had a chance and you are kidding yourself if you think different

Macie Gibson has played AAU basketball for the past two seasons. Last year she was moved to one of the Kentucky Premier teams halfway through the summer and played games in Lexington, Bowling Green, Nashville, and Atlanta, to name a few of the places. This summer she will be on the team which are all D-1 prospects and will be playing against other D-1 prospects. She will get all the publicity that she needs from playing high level AAU..College coaches rarely scout players at their high school games anymore unless it's someone they've locked in on from AAU and want them to know they are highly interested.

Macie doesn't have to transfer to get better or to be noticed by college coaches. They already know about her. The AAU circuit is what they focus on in summers to check out the talent.

However, it would be interesting to see what a team composed of Gibson, Proffitt (and her teammate who's name I can't think of but averaging around 20), Kash, and a few of those Leslie County shooters, and maybe t h e big girl from Letcher, would be like in an all star game. That would definitely be a formidable team!
BallerFromTheHoller Wrote:Leslie played a really good game and the owls never had a chance and you are kidding yourself if you think different

Leslie had the better team. No one is questioning that. I knew when I saw the draw that it was a loss. But contrary to what some on here have said, they didn't run away and easily defeat Owsley. They were up 11 with a few minutes to go and stretched it to 17 because Owsley had to foul.

Yes, Leslie played a really good game. I would say 10/19 from 3 point land and 24/27 on free throws would also beat any other team in this tournament, Perry included.
The thing about Leslie is they are very good at moving the ball quickly around the perimeter and inside out that it's hard to defend their 3 shooters. I was told they had an off shooting night against Perry in the district where they missed a lot of wide open 3s. Perry had darn well better hope they have another off night and don't scorch the nets like they did last night. If they do then Perry is in for a double digit defeat.
Come on now don't act like Leslie played some kinda super game to beat Owlsley 17. Go back to January 17 when they played and guess what Leslie won by 17. Why do we have to go through these long explanations about who fouled out, and how terrible the refs were, or how this team was hitting all their shots. Owlsley was not a very good team throughout the season but over achieved and won their district. They should be proud of that but instead fans act like it's a big suprise that Leslie beat them
Leslie did shoot the ball really good and not taking anything from them but Owsley wasn't playing very good defense on them, most of their threes was not contested and Leslie held the ball most of the fourth quarter could have beat them 25
Big Hammer Wrote:Come on now don't act like Leslie played some kinda super game to beat Owlsley 17. Go back to January 17 when they played and guess what Leslie won by 17. Why do we have to go through these long explanations about who fouled out, and how terrible the refs were, or how this team was hitting all their shots. Owlsley was not a very good team throughout the season but over achieved and won their district. They should be proud of that but instead fans act like it's a big suprise that Leslie beat them

No one is acting like its a surprise, Go back and find any post by anyone who says Owsley would beat them. Did you even watch the game last night? Either you didn't or you know nothing about basketball. Since you don't believe what were saying go and look at the game stats and tell me Leslie didn't have one hell of a night from the floor. Leslie was the better team on the floor but don't act like they won in 1st quarter and played JV 2nd half.
I agree I just don't understand why fans think a team that beat you 17 during the season would have to have help or a perfect game to beat you 17 in the tournament
Big Hammer Wrote:I agree I just don't understand why fans think a team that beat you 17 during the season would have to have help or a perfect game to beat you 17 in the tournament

Have help or play perfect game, where are you getting this from? No one has said that except for you. All thats been said is that Leslie shot lights out from the floor and the refs weren't very good. If you watched game and can't agree with that I'm sorry but something is wrong.
Big Hammer Wrote:Come on now don't act like Leslie played some kinda super game to beat Owlsley 17. Go back to January 17 when they played and guess what Leslie won by 17. Why do we have to go through these long explanations about who fouled out, and how terrible the refs were, or how this team was hitting all their shots. Owlsley was not a very good team throughout the season but over achieved and won their district. They should be proud of that but instead fans act like it's a big suprise that Leslie beat them

And that earlier game was a single diget lead until right at the end and guess what, Leslie held the ball, Owsley forced to foul, and Leslie stretched the lead to the biggest margin of the night in last 2 minutes of game.

You're acting like Leslie wore Owsley out in these two games . They didn't. The score was in reach in both of the games but Leslie is a good ball control team and can hit free throws, which is important when holding on to a lead in the 4th.

No one is acting like Owsley is as good as Leslie. The Lady Eagles are a superior team, just like they are vs other 14th region teams. But they didn't crush the Owls, like you're portraying. They extended the lead in both games in the final minutes. As I've said, the game at Owsley was as close as 7 points with a couple minutes left and the game yesterday was 11 points with about 3 minutes to go.

As for your "overachieving to win the district" remark, I think you don't take into consideration that the Lady Owls younger players got better and better every single game right up to the district tournament. By the time the district began Owsley was on the level with any of the teams in the district, and proved it by winning the championship. The area that they drastically improved in was being able to handle the other team's full court pressure much better. The press that Lee played on the district tournament was basically the same press they had used to beat Owsley 3 times before, but in the district the young guards handled it much better, and actually scored out of it many times. And the team also improved their half court defense too, although a great Leslie team was too tough to stop last night.
Also, the Leslie press is a different animal from what you see from most teams. It's like they come at you in waves, much better than what Owsley saw in district tournament play.

I was impressed with Leslie and wishing them to play to a level like they did in the first game for the rest of this tournament and return them to the state tournament. Good kids and good coaching staff.
What about PCC and KCC or Wolfe are they going to give it to Leslie just because they beat the Owls? I don't think so. You guys are fans but you need to be realistic and accept defeat with a little class
Big Hammer Wrote:What about PCC and KCC or Wolfe are they going to give it to Leslie just because they beat the Owls? I don't think so. You guys are fans but you need to be realistic and accept defeat with a little class

We've gave our props to Leslie and admitted they were the better team. If anyone needs a lesson on class it's you.
Streetoutlaw Wrote:First off Leslie didn't dominate. This was a 8/9 point game throughout. Owsley was within striking distance for the entire game until they lost three starters to fouls and Leslie made their free throws late. Also need to factor in that Leslie shot ball extremely well 10/19 from the three and 24/27 from the foul line. Not taking anything away from Leslie as you yourself said they may very well win the region. I myself for sometime have considered them along with PCC and Knott as favorites. So wondering how Owsley won their district and basing it on a lose to a top 2 regional team doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As you said in your post from the LCC thread matchups are very important. This was not a perfect matchup for a young Owsley team. Owsley has a very nice young team that I guarantee teams will not want to see in the future.
I for one am very proud of our girls and have a huge smile on my face when I look into the future. Said it before and will say it again if your an Owsley fan get ready for a fun ride, for everyone else be ready to play because I guarantee they will be.
Teams who win a lot of games through ball pressure are bad matchups f or owsley! There guards r alittle young an as they grown older this won't be a factor!
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Leslie had the better team. No one is questioning that. I knew when I saw the draw that it was a loss. But contrary to what some on here have said, they didn't run away and easily defeat Owsley. They were up 11 with a few minutes to go and stretched it to 17 because Owsley had to foul.

Yes, Leslie played a really good game. I would say 10/19 from 3 point land and 24/27 on free throws would also beat any other team in this tournament, Perry included.
The thing about Leslie is they are very good at moving the ball quickly around the perimeter and inside out that it's hard to defend their 3 shooters. I was told they had an off shooting night against Perry in the district where they missed a lot of wide open 3s. Perry had darn well better hope they have another off night and don't scorch the nets like they did last night. If they do then Perry is in for a double digit defeat.
i watched the game they let certain shooters shoot which killed them, Leslie is not as good as everyone thinks,it was not a fluke that Pcc ran them
Out of the building the other night,there may have been some defense played by Pcc!
hillbilly cat Wrote:Teams who win a lot of games through ball pressure are bad matchups f or owsley! There guards r alittle young an as they grown older this won't be a factor!

That's very true.
Big Hammer Wrote:What about PCC and KCC or Wolfe are they going to give it to Leslie just because they beat the Owls? I don't think so. You guys are fans but you need to be realistic and accept defeat with a little class
I'm saying if Leslie shoots with the accuracy that they did vs Owsley they will have smooth sailing to the championship game, and I think they will win the rematch with Perry.
How much bragging on Leslie to you want for it to show class. I have said they were the better team. I have said I think they'll win the tournament. I have congratulated them and wished them the best of luck the rest of the tournament. What's classless about that?
The only thing I disagreed with was the portrayal that Owsley didn't put up a fight last night. I don't think being within 11 with a few minutes remaining is being dominated, like some on here said. That's demeaning of the Lady Owls and "classless" in itself.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:And that earlier game was a single diget lead until right at the end and guess what, Leslie held the ball, Owsley forced to foul, and Leslie stretched the lead to the biggest margin of the night in last 2 minutes of game.

You're acting like Leslie wore Owsley out in these two games . They didn't. The score was in reach in both of the games but Leslie is a good ball control team and can hit free throws, which is important when holding on to a lead in the 4th.

No one is acting like Owsley is as good as Leslie. The Lady Eagles are a superior team, just like they are vs other 14th region teams. But they didn't crush the Owls, like you're portraying. They extended the lead in both games in the final minutes. As I've said, the game at Owsley was as close as 7 points with a couple minutes left and the game yesterday was 11 points with about 3 minutes to go.

As for your "overachieving to win the district" remark, I think you don't take into consideration that the Lady Owls younger players got better and better every single game right up to the district tournament. By the time the district began Owsley was on the level with any of the teams in the district, and proved it by winning the championship. The area that they drastically improved in was being able to handle the other team's full court pressure much better. The press that Lee played on the district tournament was basically the same press they had used to beat Owsley 3 times before, but in the district the young guards handled it much better, and actually scored out of it many times. And the team also improved their half court defense too, although a great Leslie team was too tough to stop last night.
Also, the Leslie press is a different animal from what you see from most teams. It's like they come at you in waves, much better than what Owsley saw in district tournament play.

I was impressed with Leslie and wishing them to play to a level like they did in the first game for the rest of this tournament and return them to the state tournament. Good kids and good coaching staff.
guys not to cause problems an no disrespect to the owls but they did overachieve ! They were winless in the district an make the regional thats overachieving! Sorry buts that's what it is!!!
hillbilly cat Wrote:guys not to cause problems an no disrespect to the owls but they did overachieve ! They were winless in the district an make the regional thats overachieving! Sorry buts that's what it is!!!

I'm going to try to explain one more time.

Owsley improved greatly over the last few weeks of the season. Do you need proof? Estill soundly defeated Owsley in Booneville by 22 in early February. Those two teams met in Irvine again the week before the district tournament began and Estill beat Owsley 2 points and the Lady Owls had a shot roll off the rim that would have tied it at the horn. One week later Owsley defeated Lee and Estill to win the district. The young guards and other players grew up a lot in that last month. Totally different looking team from earlier in the year. Also, in the district tournament Macie Gibson scored 70 points and had 42 rebounds. Anytime you have a player like that and the other players step up their game you have a chance to win. The Lady Owls won the district tournament because they were playing better than they had all year at that time. That's not overachieving. That's reaching your potential.

I saw nothing but class from Owsley last night and from their fans(posters) on this thread. Ask the Leslie team if you need confirmation. Both teams went hard and displayed nothing but class. In all honesty you questioning Owsley's class is a little pathetic.
I think if you go back and look at post from Owsley fans you will not find one that picked Owsley over Leslie you will only find that they stated it could be a close game. Everyone knew going in that it was a tall task but with Macie on our team and our young girls developing there is always a chance. As for their performance yes Leslie shot ball extremely well and if they shoot ball like that throughout tournament they will beat everyone including PCC. That's if PCC can get through Knott which I don't expect.
I'm not selling the Owls short. With the team they have making the regional was a big accomplishment and I said it. The thing that bothers me is their fans selling the other teams in the 14th short. Statements like " PCC is in for a double digit defeat " or "Leslie should have smooth sailing to the championship and win the rematch with Perry" None of us know if Leslie will get past their next game.we might see LCC and KCC in the final so let's allow the tourney to play out instead of giving it to Leslie because they beat the Owls. We owe the teams left at least that much
Knott and Leslie are definitely the favorites to win this region. It was just a fluke that Perry beat them 20
Flukes win by 5 or 6 !! Flukes don't happen at at 21! Ask the coach from leslie ! He'd tell u that they got there as!!.?,'v handed to them period!!! Why do people not give Pcc any credit! they are a good team! Why not say leslie has to fix somethings to beat Pcc or knott who hasn't played anyone an got beat by the team they r playing tonight! Hey guys Pcc playing good we will have to bring out A game when we play them! I know that Pcc has to bring there A game tonight against wolf because anything can happen!!! I've have respect for Pcc opponents! That's main reason that they win so many games!!!
Pages: 1 2