Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Triangles - Are they real?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have you ever seen a true triangle? No you have not. Because you see a true triangle is supposed to have just 3 sides. But if you look at a block shaped like one, does it not also have depth? Therefore, it is not a triangle anymore.

Ah, but I here you asking, "What about when my teacher draws one on the board with a ruler and some chalk?"

I say, that is not a triangle either. Why? Because it can never truly be drawn perfect, and also because the ink or chalk lifts off the paper, and while very small...it also has depth.

Therefore, seeing as how we have never truly seen a real triangle, how do we know they exist? In fact, real triangles do not exist. But what does exist is simply the idea of triangularity in our minds. It is because of this idea of triangularity that we can look at something and describe it as a triangle when it simply is not.

This is one of the many innate ideas that philosophers like Plato and Aristotle once taught. In fact, Plato may have even believed that everything can be reduced down to a mathematical principle.
Couldnt that principle also be stated with Circles, Squares, etc...
Yes, all geometry. I was just using a triangle as an example.
you all make me think to much now i dont even know what to say when i see an object with three sides...because appearently it is no longer a triangle...now my life goal is to find the perfect shape
You come up with some of the strangest stuff CE
yeah we actually got to talking about this way back in Jr high days 8th grade to b exact in Art class :-).

was this just something random that was on ur mind CE
yea he does and my poor head cannot take all of it in
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:yeah we actually got to talking about this way back in Jr high days 8th grade to b exact in Art class :-).

was this just something random that was on ur mind CE

You were talking about philosophers earlier so I thought I'd give you all a little philosophy.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ic thats what i was thinking i just wasnt sure thanks for that Knowlege get some more of that and post a new one tommorrow if u wouldnt mind i love to read things on stuff like this
OK.
aight that would b awsome thanks CE
Here CE goes again....saying something that noone understands...

BUT...what if the image is projected onto a wall or something...how about then?
its still been drawn so thereforth wouldnt that pertain the same way :-)
but not if you are looking at the projected image....but then again, CE will have a reason
Ya learn something new everyday
yes but yet that projected image has been drawn on a piece of plastic or what ever that type of paper is they use for projectors correct
What if you have a picture of a man holding up a picture of a triangle. Can you say that there's a picture of a triangle on the picture.
u can say that their is a picture of a triangle but yet that doesnt truely mean that the triangle is a TRUE one. This is just something that we have been taught when we c the shape of a triangle we just automaticaly say hey its a traingle although their realy is no such thing as a True triangle.

I know i made that sound realy confusing
This is way too much thinking for me. I understand his point about all geometric objects but i guess thats the difference between people. I just dont see myself thinking of these thoughts. Good point CE, but i cant say much. Your much more inteligent than i am in that field.
Beef Wrote:but not if you are looking at the projected image....but then again, CE will have a reason

The projected image can never be drawn perfectly, not even with a ruler. If you look at a line with a microscope you will notice it is never perfectly straight.
Can we even create a straight line. With no computer assistance.
I would imagine so. The odd's wouldnt be too great.
I was just reading this and now that I'm in Geometry i've got some new questions for my teacher lol. But it really does make you think. Everything has some type of height or width or you wouldn't see it. Really intreging.
Everything has been proven from a mathematical stand point. You can find the area, missing sides, and angles from a variety of formulas for any geometric shape. I say they do exist or else we wouldn't have numerous math and calculus courses to help prove that point. If they don't, I want a refund on some of my tuition money since that is mainly what all my engineering classes deal with. You can take derivatives and integrals of the trigonometric functions, hyperbolic functions, or inverse functions to prove the same thing you learn in a high school geometry class, it just makes it about 100 times more difficult.
What if we look at an image on a computer? Does it then have depth? Lines can be drawn straight with ease on a computer.
Thats deep
Uhm....guys....this thread was a little bit old.
You should be glad your thread has spakred this much debate. Smile
It caught me of guard. This was....two years ago.
:yikes:I thought it was from February of this year, not February of 2005.
Pages: 1 2