Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg 2017
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well everyone else has a 2017 thread, Pburg may as well to. We all know that Pburg has lost talent left and right..
Now that Floyd central will be opening that's leaving another closer avenue for Floyd co players..In fact(thankfully) Ive already heard several parents of young talent say they will probably be sending their kids to Floyd central.
So with the new school opening whats it going to take for Prestonsburg to get back to competitive 15th region football?
Anyone know what Pbrug is loosing or gaining for the 17' season?
My guess? It will take years (at least 5) for the ship to be righted. Here's why:

Looking back at kids who have transferred out of Prestonsburg to play at other schools (for whatever reason), one thing is constant: None of them to my knowledge has transferred back in OR regretted their decision. All the transfers have loved their new school, new programs, and have integrated well into them. If this same pattern holds consistent, that means this group of 8th grade talent, some of whom transferred to other districts as soon as basketball season was over, will most likely stay there...no matter who the coach is. So that makes me believe that these kids will stay there for the entirety of their high school careers. One class does not make a program, but it sure can hurt it. And if future classes follow suit, who knows when things will get turned around.

Now there are exceptions: if, for example, Phillip Haywood decided to come back to Prestonsburg to coach for 4 years before retiring, or if Joe Chirico came to Prestonsburg, you may see some of these kids come back, because those are 2 coaches that kids and parents are willing to move to play for. But the odds of that happening are zero, so the odds of getting the kids who transferred out to return are similar.

All told, it will take years. Prestonsburg will be competitive, sure. Will win most if not all county games, probably be competitive most years, but the years of making deep runs in the playoffs most likely went out the door with all the kids who have transferred this year and in the recent years.

Hope to see things pick up and improve, but it looks bleak.
Prestonsburg will have a big senior class next year with returning players #8 Drake Nunnery WR/ FS #5 Tyler Martin WR/CB #11 Ryne Slone WR/CB #57 Tyler Adkins MLB #65 Brad Jarrell DE#69 Braxton Lewis OT #67 Dalton Bowe LG/DT #66 Harley Quillen RG/DT #70 Blake Tarver DT #79 Payton Conn OT and #73 Zack Link C.
Does anyone have their schedule yet, with the dates of the games?
I look for the Blackcats to have another year similar to this past season. They play in a weak district, so therefore they are guaranteed three or four wins. If they schedule Breathitt County again, that will be a win, so they're looking at five or six wins next year. I think both the offensive and defensive lines will be solid, but finding playmakers will be a problem. With all of the turmoil surrounding the program, I look for the numbers to be in the twenties or low thirties this year.
One thing that hurts Pburg and most other schools in general is the amount of students in the school has gone down a lot over the years. When I graduated in 2008 there were about 600 some students there. Now I believe it's under 500. To me this is related to the lack of jobs in the region and then you throw in the other things that have been previously mentioned it makes it hard to do well. Nonetheless, I think they'll most likely have a year similar to what they had last season.
The kids in the Prestonsburg middle school that transferred out. Did they play football and were they going to be potential contributors?
Spud6 Wrote:The kids in the Prestonsburg middle school that transferred out. Did they play football and were they going to be potential contributors?

Yes they were expected to be contributors this coming season. 3 of the ones lost would have played from the beginning. 1 was a QB and 2 were linemen.
Glory Days Wrote:Yes they were expected to be contributors this coming season. 3 of the ones lost would have played from the beginning. 1 was a QB and 2 were linemen.

Ouch, then that hurts. I heard a RUMOR and I mean that as a just a rumor. That they were maybe coming back? Any truth to that?
Prestonsburg 3-4 years ago was a very good football team but the keep on degrading every season since then. Theyll probably be the second or third place team from their district.
Spud6 Wrote:Ouch, then that hurts. I heard a RUMOR and I mean that as a just a rumor. That they were maybe coming back? Any truth to that?

Hearing the same thing.....clouds are starting to roll in over Paintsville
Gargamel Wrote:Hearing the same thing.....clouds are starting to roll in over Paintsville

I just wonder what happened if it is true that they are coming back.
Spud6 Wrote:I just wonder what happened if it is true that they are coming back.

It's not going to happen! More are leaving at the end of the school year.
Glory Days Wrote:It's not going to happen! More are leaving at the end of the school year.

What's going on in PBurg for all these kids to leave?
Spud6 Wrote:What's going on in PBurg for all these kids to leave?

Politics/Coaches/Bigger&Better things. Jaguars are going to be loading up soon!
CheeriosRGreat Wrote:Politics/Coaches/Bigger&Better things. Jaguars are going to be loading up soon!

What is that suppose to mean?
Floyd central I'm guessing . They copied Jacksonvilles mascot/colors
Blacksmith Wrote:Floyd central I'm guessing . They copied Jacksonvilles mascot/colors

I know what he means by saying the Jaguars.

I meant why are they saying they'll be loading up soon? I was wondering if that meant he was hearing transferring rumors.
Do they have a complete schedule yet? This is what I've been able to piece together.

PRESTONSBURG
8/18/2017
8/25/2017
9/1/2017 H LAWRENCE COUNTY
9/8/2017 H BREATHITT COUNTY
9/15/2017 A FLOYD CENTRAL
9/22/2017 A HAZARD
9/29/2017 H LESLIE COUNTY
10/6/2017 A SHELBY VALLEY
10/13/2017 H EAST RIDGE
10/20/2017 A BETSY LAYNE
10/27/2017 A PERRY COUNTY CENTRAL
jgrlzz Wrote:Do they have a complete schedule yet? This is what I've been able to piece together.

PRESTONSBURG
8/18/2017 H My guess Sheldon Clark (2016 2w/6L or Magoffin 2w/8L)
8/25/2017 OPEN
9/1/2017 H LAWRENCE COUNTY (2016 4w/7L)
9/8/2017 H BREATHITT COUNTY (2016 4w/7L)
9/15/2017 A FLOYD CENTRAL (2016 SF 0w/7L, AC 8w/3L)
9/22/2017 A HAZARD (2016 12w/3L State Runner Up)
9/29/2017 H LESLIE COUNTY (2016 10w/2L)
10/6/2017 A SHELBY VALLEY (2016 3w/8L)
10/13/2017 H EAST RIDGE (2016 4w/6L)
10/20/2017 A BETSY LAYNE (2016 1w/9L)
(2016 2w/8L)

As always, the Blackcats going with a brutal schedule. One thing is for certain, John never avoids great competition. :redboxer:
jgrlzz Wrote:Do they have a complete schedule yet? This is what I've been able to piece together.

PRESTONSBURG
8/18/2017
8/25/2017 H North Laurel
9/1/2017 H LAWRENCE COUNTY
9/8/2017 H BREATHITT COUNTY
9/15/2017 A FLOYD CENTRAL
9/22/2017 A HAZARD
9/29/2017 H LESLIE COUNTY
10/6/2017 A SHELBY VALLEY
10/13/2017 H EAST RIDGE
10/20/2017 A BETSY LAYNE

According to KHSAA. I would assume that means week 1 is open/bye. I never liked having my open week at the beginning of the season. Good time to heal mid to late October.