Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Regional POY
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Regional players of the year have been released. Has anyone seen them and if so any comments?
Nothing against Flynn of Estill but she isn't even best player that Estill has. Laughable really
It's a senior only award... Don't take anything away from the kid. She is averaging almost a double double. Very nice player.
Solid player, but there are more deserving kids. Griffith from Leslie and Waugh from Knott come to mind.
The 15th kind of surprised me. I thought it would be Lafferty from Sheldon Clark. I did think it would be between her and Ally May. I just think that Lafferty does more for her team but May has a better supporting cast and doesn't have to do as much. 15th is down this year as far as senior class is concerned. Lot of good underclassmen though.
I wish people had more class then to put disparaging remarks about our regions basketball players....Mackenzie is well deserved, not saying others were or were not. But have class about your remarks and give congrats rather remarks that our girls see on display here on this site...Just a comment for all of us me included....Mackenzie congrats and hope you play well in the districts.
Dr.Basketball Wrote:It's a senior only award... Don't take anything away from the kid. She is averaging almost a double double. Very nice player.
hall is a better player than her! From letcher! That's nothing but the fact that bunch plays more toward the Lexington. Area ! If she leads estill to atleast the regional title game then I will say hats off to her, but those Lexington type don't know mountain basketball!
Regional players of the year go to a senior player only and they are voted on by the region coaches in that particular region. Really don't have much to do where a team plays or who they play.
Hats off to the kid!
rebounder8 Wrote:I wish people had more class then to put disparaging remarks about our regions basketball players....Mackenzie is well deserved, not saying others were or were not. But have class about your remarks and give congrats rather remarks that our girls see on display here on this site...Just a comment for all of us me included....Mackenzie congrats and hope you play well in the districts.

Has nothing to do with class, Im just stating the facts. Congrats to her on the award but she isn't the best senior in 14th simple as that. Also was not aware that this was a senior only award which makes no sense in itself. If your going to give a POY award then it should be fair game for everyone regardless of grade. Should be called Senior of the year if thats the case.
Hall is definitely a better player overall in my opinion. Averages more per game, shoots better from 3 and from the free throw line, has had at least 5 20 point games and one 30 point game. But congrats to Mackenzie Flynn. Nothing against the player chosen just against the people choosing the winner. Just my opinion though.
Kristin Waugh
Ppg - 12
Fg% - 41
3pt % - 36
FT% - 67
Rpg - 1.8
Team Record - 23-6

Emily Griffith
Ppg- 16
FG%- 43
3pt%- 33
FT%- 73
Rpg- 5.3
Team Record- 24-4

McKenzie Flynn
Ppg- 9.1
FG% - 50
3pt % - 21
FT% - 59
RPG - 10
Team Record - 18-10

Shelby Hall
Ppg - 14
FG% - 34
3pt % - 28
FT % -65
Rpg- 4.5
Team record - 18-13

In my opinion the only player with an argument is Griffith. Hall's percentages are just not good enough. However, only one of the above is even close to a double double.
hillbilly cat Wrote:hall is a better player than her! From letcher! That's nothing but the fact that bunch plays more toward the Lexington. Area ! If she leads estill to atleast the regional title game then I will say hats off to her, but those Lexington type don't know mountain basketball!

The award is voted on by the coaches IN THAT REGION... I don't see how playing teams in the Lexington area has anything to do with the award ..
I didn't know that it was voted on by the coaches , thought it might be given by one of the big news papers my bad! But I will say that if estill makes it to atleast the regional finals then ,I'll be on the band wagon , i'am still not convinced that estill is really that good anyway, the district is at there home , they should win it there, I've waiting on a big win on the road against a really good team. An hazards a long way away from Irvine. But good luck to them, more than likely my bulldogs will lose Monday night an I need a underdog to cheer for! I hear the train coming down the tracks!!!!
hillbilly cat Wrote:I didn't know that it was voted on by the coaches , thought it might be given by one of the big news papers my bad! But I will say that if estill makes it to atleast the regional finals then ,I'll be on the band wagon , i'am still not convinced that estill is really that good anyway, the district is at there home , they should win it there, I've waiting on a big win on the road against a really good team. An hazards a long way away from Irvine. But good luck to them, more than likely my bulldogs will lose Monday night an I need a underdog to cheer for! I hear the train coming down the tracks!!!!

Hard for folks in southern end of the region to judge Estill and Powell. I think both teams try and play some games in that end of the region on Saturday afternoon etc.. but probably don't have enough games to get full exposure ..
Dr.Basketball Wrote:Kristin Waugh
Ppg - 12
Fg% - 41
3pt % - 36
FT% - 67
Rpg - 1.8
Team Record - 23-6

Emily Griffith
Ppg- 16
FG%- 43
3pt%- 33
FT%- 73
Rpg- 5.3
Team Record- 24-4

McKenzie Flynn
Ppg- 9.1
FG% - 50
3pt % - 21
FT% - 59
RPG - 10
Team Record - 18-10

Shelby Hall
Ppg - 14
FG% - 34
3pt % - 28
FT % -65
Rpg- 4.5
Team record - 18-13

In my opinion the only player with an argument is Griffith. Hall's percentages are just not good enough. However, only one of the above is even close to a double double.

I know you said it's a senior award, but humor me DR and put up the stats for Proffitt at PCC. Not trying to start an argument I'm just curious
Mountain BB Fan Wrote:The 15th kind of surprised me. I thought it would be Lafferty from Sheldon Clark. I did think it would be between her and Ally May. I just think that Lafferty does more for her team but May has a better supporting cast and doesn't have to do as much. 15th is down this year as far as senior class is concerned. Lot of good underclassmen though.

I'm not surprised by the 15th region pick. Ali May plays a hard defense and can shoot the lights out. May is a team player as well. I think they were pretty on point with their selection.
Big Hammer Wrote:I know you said it's a senior award, but humor me DR and put up the stats for Proffitt at PCC. Not trying to start an argument I'm just curious

Lindsey Profitt
Ppg - 30
FG% - 46
3pt % - 48
FT% - 84
RPG - 6
Team record - 17-4
Macie Gibson
PPG - 28.4
FG% - 53.4
FT % - 80.5
RPG - 15.2
Team record - 12-13
Streetoutlaw Wrote:Macie Gibson
PPG - 28.4
FG% - 53.4
FT % - 80.5
RPG - 15.2
Team record - 12-13

3pt?
Dr.Basketball Wrote:3pt?

36%
I definitely agree that if it's an award for just player of the year regardless of grade, Profitt has it by far. She is a fantastic pure scorer. If teams don't make a specific game plan to just shut her down she'll drop 30 easy. A great shooter as well.
Congrats to Flynn