Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pro Wrestling Fans: Why do so may Pro wrestlers die at such an eary age??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems like many pro wrestlers die at an alarming rate, why is this??

List of descesed wrestlers: (Recently and Past)
"Ravishing" Rick Rude
"Mr. Perfect" Curt Henning
Earthquake
BAM BAM Bigalow
Owen Hart
"Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich & 2 of his Brothers
Big Boss Man
"British Bulldog" Davy Boy Smith
Junk Yard Dog
Eddie Gurrero
Miss Elizabeth
"Flyin' Bryan" Pillman
Andre the Giant
"Hawk" from LOD
Yokozuna
"Sapphire" fmr. manager of Dusty Rhodes
Big John Studd

and thats just the ones I can name from the top of my head, anyone have anymore??

Its just puzzling to me. Is it fame, Drugs, or just the pounding they put their bodies through?
"Ravishing" Rick Rude - Drugs/Heart
"Mr. Perfect" Curt Henning - Drugs/Heart
Earthquake - Heart/Weight
BAM BAM Bigalow - Heart/Weight
Owen Hart - Fell from a rope broke neck
"Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich & 2 of his Brothers - Know them but dont know death
Big Boss Man - Heart/Drugs
"British Bulldog" Davy Boy Smith - Drugs
Junk Yard Dog - Heart
Eddie Gurrero - Drugs took tole after years
Miss Elizabeth - Lex Luger drugged her
"Flyin' Bryan" Pillman - Drugs
Andre the Giant - Weight/Heart/Height
"Hawk" from LOD - Heart/Drugs met him and have his autograph
Yokozuna - Weight
"Sapphire" fmr. manager of Dusty Rhodes - no idea
Big John Studd - Heart
I have seen all of these wrestlers in my time and have been a fan of all of them. I love wrestling period. But im not sure if drugs was the main cause of all the deaths. There are other contributing factors. Like Hawk, I never heard of anything from him using drugs or anything like that. I read somewhere it was his heart that gave out. Not sure though. I loved watchin all these guys wrestle and the two women that were valets, but I have to say that Owen Hart and Eddie Guerrero's deaths were the saddest of all.
Kerry Von Erich Commited suicide. He shot himself in the heart. Saw an article about it before.
Drugs seem to be a common thing.
Moe Wrote:It seems like many pro wrestlers die at an alarming rate, why is this??

Because some use steroids to get bodies that they think are bigger than life, that kills some of them (destroys their bodies), and the ones that don't take steroids (or even some that do), feel that, because they're so built and so huge, that they're larger than life, and drugs and things can't do anything to them or they feel that they need things out-of-the-norm to even effect their bodies, and it ends up killing them.

Just an idea off the top of my head.......... Thoughts?? Contradictions??
My opinion exactly
This is what happened to Big John Studd:

In March 1995, after a 17-month struggle with Hodgkins’s disease, John Minton succumbed to liver cancer at the age of 46, robbing the sport of one of its true giants.
Here is a great site just for this topic!

http://www.garywill.com/wrestling/decwres.htm
Thanks man I didn't know there was a site like that, thats pretty cool. I didn'y know Dino Bravo and Lord Alfred Hays had died.
I didn't know Hercules and Crash Holly had died eighter....Wow!
Dang, some of those guys I didn't know had died...

Steriods and Drugs for the most part. Owen Harts death was a freak deal, accidental. Majority of those named died of heart attack which coulda been cause by alot of things.
Redneck Wrote:Dang, some of those guys I didn't know had died...

Steriods and Drugs for the most part. Owen Harts death was a freak deal, accidental. Majority of those named died of heart attack which coulda been cause by alot of things.
Yea I rember Owen Heart death, he was trying to repell off the top of the stadium to the ring and he fell. I was about 9 years old when it happend.
warriorpride Wrote:Yea I rember Owen Heart death, he was trying to repell off the top of the stadium to the ring and he fell. I was about 9 years old when it happend.

I was watching it live when it happened. Like I said it was a freak deal and very sad situation...
Some might come down with life threatning disease's. Some might die because of natural causes, and some b/c of drugs steriods and anything else that can be thought of. Its very sad however it happens.
Redneck Wrote:I was watching it live when it happened. Like I said it was a freak deal and very sad situation...

Yeah I remember watching the Pay-Per View when it happened, me and my Dad didnt know how it had happened but then when we found out we were both very shocked and saddened by the situation.
The lifestyle and beating that they take night in and night out and always traveling from one place to the other takes a tole on wrestlers. Just a sad situation the things that they will do for there fans and to there fans in another aspect!
Steroids is a link to the majority of them IMO. The heart attacks and what not that claim their lives probably come from juicing to get the big time contracts regardless of the price one has to pay (a side effect of steroids is hardening of the heart, since the heart is a muscle)....Some die in freak accidents, car wrecks, etc....but illegal substance abuse is a huge contributing factor.
Steroids
Crazy Life Style
Wrestling around with growna$$ men who are pumped up on steroids
Steroids, pain killers... you name it! They had a rough lifestyle.
Read "Have A Nice Day", and it wont take long to understand the beating the body takes, the roids and the painkillers make for a cocktail of death.
Yes that is actually a good book i thought
If you look at the list look at how many died during or right after the match.
Steroids confuses your muscle growth causing more injuries throughout a career to the muscles and tendons! I have done so many reports in college over steroids! So night in and night out to perform, death or body detereation is the main setback. SAD, SAD situation in deed!
-STATS- Wrote:Yeah I remember watching the Pay-Per View when it happened, me and my Dad didnt know how it had happened but then when we found out we were both very shocked and saddened by the situation.

Same here!

The beatings that their bodies take over the years mixed with the number of drugs to make their bodies bigger and still ABLE to take those beatings just catch up to them. You can't pump and pump that crap into you and expect it not to shut down your kidneys, liver..HEART! They make your muscles huge but they also make your heart beat faster and you know time and time again it just adds up. The larger wrestlers are in a bad place too because their weight gives them heart problems to begin with and you know that a 600 pound guy is going to have a harder time trying to give as much in the ring as a 150 pounder.
well no one mentioned Bruiser Brodie he was stabbed to death in the locker room right after a match.

Ox bakers heart punch 2 men died but difficult to say that his heart punch lead to their heart attacks.

As far as someone dying in the ring there is a great documentary about womens wrestling and it discusses the death of a girl in the ring.

will get a link on here.

the best website i know concerning wrestling is

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pro...index.html

here you can just about find anyone who ever climbed in the ring
Awesome site. Thanks Doc!!!!