Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2017 Signing Day for Kentucky Kids
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
BELFRY
Cole Bentley- Louisville
Austin Dotson- Kentucky
Ray Horton- EKU
Jordan Scott- EKU
Cameron Catron- EKU
Noah Corbett- Cumberland
Austin Hall- UPike
EKUAlum05 Wrote:BELFRY
Cole Bentley- Louisville
Austin Dotson- Kentucky
Ray Horton- EKU
Jordan Scott- EKU
Cameron Catron- EKU
Noah Corbett- Cumberland
Austin Hall- UPike

Any word on Austin Woolums? Andrew Fletcher?
Fletcher said he was done with football and attending Lee to concentrate on his education. That's been his pick of schools for a long time.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Any word on Austin Woolums? Andrew Fletcher?

Looked like Belfry had a ceremony and neither took part.

I am guessing Fletcher is deciding if he wants to continue playing football in college since he had some NAIA and D3 "offers". Obviously NAIA doesn't do true football scholarships

Woolum I am not sure what his status is or if he had college prospects.
Which of the Belfry men were recruited by Murray State, I was in Murray for two days and he and his family was at the same place I was at I was teasing him about the mythical Mayfield -Belfry matchup
oldcardfan Wrote:Which of the Belfry men were recruited by Murray State, I was in Murray for two days and he and his family was at the same place I was at I was teasing him about the mythical Mayfield -Belfry matchup

That would be OG Jordan Scott. He actually committed to Murray State and just flipped right before signing day to EKU.
Corbin had four sign today
Alec Gambrel-Cumberlands Lucas Ellison-Lindsay Wilson Dylan Brock-Georgetown
Justin Davis-union
Alec Gambrel (Corbin) - Cumberlands
Alex Shelton (Covington Catholic) - EKU
Alex Simpson (Lafayette) - Kentucky (Preferred Walk-On)
Austin Daulton (Southwestern) - Murray State
Austin Pedroche (Lexington Catholic) - Centre
Avery Stamper (Letcher County Central) - UPIKE
Ben Buchignani (Lexington Catholic) - Georgetown (KY)
Branden Layne (Lafayette) - Kentucky (Preferred Walk-On)
Bryce Cosby (DuPont Manual) - Ball State
Cheikh Ndiaye (Hazard) - UPIKE
CJ Hayes (South Warren) - Michigan State
Clay Slone (Pikeville) - Georgetown
Colby McKee (Scott County) - Austin Peay
Cole Kirby (Franklin-Simpson) - Middle Tennessee
Cole Spencer (Trinity) - WKU
Cullen Cox (Pulaski County) - Lindsey Wilson
Dante Hendrix (Boone County) - Indiana State
Darren Morris (Paintsville) - UPIKE
DeAngelo Wilson (Bowling Green) - Austin Peay
DeShon Washington (Ballard) - Purdue
Derrick Barnes (Covington Holy Cross) - Purdue
Desmond Ridder (St. Xavier) - Cincinnati
Donald Woolum (Perry County Central) - UPIKE
Ebube Emeh (Tates Creek) - Charleston
Hunter Asher (Whitley County) - UPIKE
Jackson Beerman (Tates Creek) - EKU
Jackson Mobley (Pulaski County) - Lindsey Wilson
Jack Paulson (CAL) - Minnesota
Jacob Paul (Whitley County) - Cumberlands
Jaelin Carter (DuPont Manual) - EKU
Jake Johnson (Pulaski County) - Georgetown (KY)
Jake New (Pulaski County) - Lindsey Wilson
Jamale Carothers (Bowling Green) - Navy
Jared Grubb (South Laurel) - UPIKE
Jedrick Wills (Lafayette) - Alabama
Jerred Lovins (South Laurel) - UPIKE
Jordan Meredith (Bowling Green) - WKU
Jordan Wolford (Phelps) - UPIKE
Josh Ervin (Johnson Central) - UPIKE
Kenneth Major (Christian County) - Purdue
Kent Phelps (Paintsville) - Wofford
Keyron Catlett (Christian County) - Purdue
Logan Floyd (Western Hills) - Morehead State
Lucas Ellison (Corbin) - Lindsey Wilson
Luke Adkinson (Shelby Valley) - UPIKE
Mathew Harp (South Laurel) - Cumberlands
Mikey Tomlinson (Rockcastle County) - Georgetown (KY)
Nathan Hobbs (Male) - Illinois
Nathaniel Wilcox (Johnson Central) - Cumberlands
Noah Frisby (Johnson Central) - Georgetown (KY)
Quinten Floyd(Bryan Station) - EKU
Russ Vaden(Moore) - Eastern Michigan
Sean Cleasant(DuPont Manual) - EKU
Shane Burks (Bryan Station) - EKU
Solomon Isaacs (Jackson County) - Lindsey Wilson
Tanner Morgan (Ryle) - Minnesota
Tanner Wells (Knox Central) - Lindsey Wilson
Tucker Woolum (Pineville) - Western Carolina
Tyce Daniel (McCracken County) - Memphis
Walker Wood (Lafayette) - Kentucky
Woodford Lankford (Lexington Catholic) - Toledo
Xavier Johnson (Tates Creek) - Kentucky State
Zach Dampier (Danville) - Georgetown (KY)
Zach Haynes (South Warren) - Ball State
Congratulations to all of these young men.
I thought Horton was a Major D-1 prospect, and had Ohio St looking at him. Just wondering why he decided to sign with EKU. Not knocking EKU that is a great place to be.
Maybe Grades?
I'm not in the know, but I can take a guess. I would say it is because of his height. Big time D-1 schools care way too much about how a kid looks getting off of the bus. Imho Ray Horton was the best defensive player in the state of Kentucky. Kid was a D-1 talent for sure, he just wasn't 6'4".
And you're right there is nothing wrong with signing with eastern. That is something to be proud of and a ton of players around the country would relish the opportunity. Congratulations to the young man as well as all of the others on this list! You do the mountains and the state of Kentucky proud!
Jedrick Wills (Lafayette) - Alabama that tells me he should have been Mr. Football. LOL

Congrats to all the student athletes. I hope your goal wasn't to go to college but rather to graduate from college.
NutterButter Wrote:Maybe Grades?
That's not it. Ray is a really good student
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I'm not in the know, but I can take a guess. I would say it is because of his height. Big time D-1 schools care way too much about how a kid looks getting off of the bus. Imho Ray Horton was the best defensive player in the state of Kentucky. Kid was a D-1 talent for sure, he just wasn't 6'4".
That is the biggest hindrance for his recruitment. Big time programs don't want a 6-1 DL, it is what it is.

Single Wing 77 Wrote:And you're right there is nothing wrong with signing with eastern. That is something to be proud of and a ton of players around the country would relish the opportunity. Congratulations to the young man as well as all of the others on this list! You do the mountains and the state of Kentucky proud!
I agree 110%. Well said
I also have a question about Ray Horton, what happened with his recruitment? I never got to watch the Pirates play but all I seen on here was about he was the most dominant d-lineman in the state. Was just curious.
Spud6 Wrote:I also have a question about Ray Horton, what happened with his recruitment? I never got to watch the Pirates play but all I seen on here was about he was the most dominant d-lineman in the state. Was just curious.
Ray had some nice FCS Offers and may have been on his way to a Power 5 offer with Minnesota. The Gophers visited him and wanted him up for an official visit the weekend before signing day but Horton had already set his mind to stay close to home with EKU and passed on the visit and committed to the Colonels.

As mentioned, it was simply a measurement thing for many. Horton is listed as 6'2 but is probably only 6'1 and doesn't have a wide wingspan. Despite the fact he dominated on the field, in film, and in camp environments (was named as one of the top DL at the Columbus Nike Camp), just wasn't enough coaches willing to risk a scholarship on a 6'1 Linemen at such a vital position.

One thing is for sure, measurements aside there probably hasn't been as dominant of a Defensive Linemen to come out of EKY and he was probably one of the most dominant defensive player in KY the past two years.
Colleges don't spend a lot of resource recruiting SE Ky, or Kentucky in general. Kentucky has never been a talent rich area, and the level of play isn't as high as others. I don't want to take anything away from Belfry because they are a damn good football team and they have been dominate, but dominate in a region that has some bad football. Recruiters look at the level of play as a factor. If Ray Horton was as dominate in SE Georgia as he was in Kentucky he'd pick his school. In SE Georgia or regions OH and FL recruiters can go to 3 or 4 schools and talk to 10-15 D1 prospects, and would have to travel the whole state of Kentucky to do the same.
SouthSider Wrote:Colleges don't spend a lot of resource recruiting SE Ky, or Kentucky in general. Kentucky has never been a talent rich area, and the level of play isn't as high as others. I don't want to take anything away from Belfry because they are a damn good football team and they have been dominate, but dominate in a region that has some bad football. Recruiters look at the level of play as a factor. If Ray Horton was as dominate in SE Georgia as he was in Kentucky he'd pick his school. In SE Georgia or regions OH and FL recruiters can go to 3 or 4 schools and talk to 10-15 D1 prospects, and would have to travel the whole state of Kentucky to do the same.

I do agree that he probably didn't see top level offensive linemen in his region. Don't forget though the non region schedule Belfry played. He has film against Knox cath and cabbell midland. As well as some of the top teams in ky. Plus he won four state titles so the whole region is weak argument is kinda invalid. Also, college recruiting departments care very little about time/money. If you can play, they'll come see you.
Dylan Payne from McCreary Central signed with Thomas More College.
Nathaniel Davidsom QB from Raceland also signed with Thomas more
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I do agree that he probably didn't see top level offensive linemen in his region. Don't forget though the non region schedule Belfry played. He has film against Knox cath and cabbell midland. As well as some of the top teams in ky. Plus he won four state titles so the whole region is weak argument is kinda invalid. Also, college recruiting departments care very little about time/money. If you can play, they'll come see you.

I think this post i pretty spot on, but there is also still some truth in what Southsider is saying as well.

By and large I think EKY kids have been stereotyped by major college recruiters for reasons that are both fair and unfair. For whatever reason there have simply been more EKY kids who have seemingly "washed out" at the next level and either quit football or struggled in the classroom. I think those days are mainly in the past, but the stigma still exists even if it is not fair.

You only have to look at the UK message boards to see even UK fans who are skeptical of Dotson because of "weak competition" even though I would say Belfry plays a schedule tougher than 75% of teams in the country. Though they may be wrong about the facts,at the same time it is hard to refute why this stereotype exists as I would agree that the vast majority of EKY teams are playing inferior competition.

I also think there is credence to the geography aspect. Maybe not so much the financial side, but geography does play a part. If Jon Schlarman wanted to go watch a Belfry home game and set aside Thursday and Friday to visit, the number of other schools he can visit and scout legit prospects is many times smaller than if he invested his time going to Memphis, TN or Atlanta, GA. If he goes to Belfry he may get to see five legit prospects at 3 or 4 schools. If he goes to Atlanta he literally can hit 10-12 schools in two days and see 25-30 guys.

The fact of the matter is that for years EKY kids have been handicapped by stereotypes, but also haven't exactly done a great job of self promoting either. The number of kids who attend these respected recruiting camps like Nike, Rivals, and Under Armour is vastly less than other areas of the country. The positive side is this seems to be trending up and I think as it does you will see the number of D-1 kids from EKY increase.
Long story short there have been to many, "Mama's Boys", in Eastern KY. Just don't want to stay away from home.
I think it is less of a mamas boy thing and more of a lack of competition within the team. If a kid is a D-1 ball player and he works hard during his freshman year he will most likely start as a sophomore. At that point it is easy for the young man to get complacent, and rest on his laurels for the rest of his career. He may dominate other high school kids and he will be used to that. Then when he goes off to school, he is faces with 20 other guys who are just as talented and have most likely had to work their tails off all through high school to compete. If a kid is 6'2" 215 lbs in Kentucky he is a starter and the best physical specimen on his team. If that same kid plays south of Tennessee then he is just one of ten on the roster. There is much more competition at practice. I think that has really helped Belfry with this current class. I would've loved to have been able to watch some of those practices. Watch those linemen go against each other in board drills etc.
Gunner Slone from Johnson Central signed with EKU.
It's all about getting yourself seen. It's not the coaches job to do that. The 3 kids from Belfry that attended the Nike camp all landed multiple offers and will be playing D1 football.
proud44pirate Wrote:It's all about getting yourself seen. It's not the coaches job to do that. The 3 kids from Belfry that attended the Nike camp all landed multiple offers and will be playing D1 football.

I completely agree, very few accidentally get offers from D-1 schools. The camp circuit is the best way to get yourself noticed. If you catch a recruiters eye, they'll seek you out.
Congrats to all Commits!
EKU coaching staff on the signing of Belfry's Rayquan Horton.

[YOUTUBE="EKU Football National Signing Day - RayQuan Horton"]GC1o-EcpCxY[/YOUTUBE]
Pages: 1 2