Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bowling Green’s Jamale Carothers named Mr. Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was beginning to look like they were going to announce Mr Football and Mr Basketball at the same time. Congrats to Jamal Carothers. I know most of you probably won't agree, but he was very deserving of this award. Go to Hudl and check out his videos. He's an amazing athele and an fine young man.
well deserved . jake Johnson was overated if you throw the ball to a kid 45 times a game like Pulaski did to him your gonna break catching records
Congrats to Jamal Carothers, Hope he does big things at Navy!!

Wrangler, I don't think you can call a kid who holds state records overrated! Kid still had to get open and break tackles. It still takes skills to play football, even if you are the kid who always gets the ball. It actually might make it harder for you if teams know your the man and getting the ball every day. Please don't take anything away from any kids accomplishments.
What a complete joke! This was Jake Johnson's award before the season even started. Then he goes on to break a ton of records and lead his team back to the state championship game for a 4th year in a row.
Wrangler Wrote:well deserved . jake Johnson was overated if you throw the ball to a kid 45 times a game like Pulaski did to him your gonna break catching records

Very ignorant statement. It's extremely difficult to break multiple state records when you're always in double and triple coverage.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:What a complete joke! This was Jake Johnson's award before the season even started. Then he goes on to break a ton of records and lead his team back to the state championship game for a 4th year in a row.

Carothers was on the team that won three of those four championships you were talking about.
Jake Johnson is an incredible player. I wish there was a way to make everybody happy. With that said, I still think Carothers is very deserving. Congratulations and good luck at the Naval Academy young man.
adopted purple Wrote:Carothers was on the team that won three of those four championships you were talking about.

Mr Football is not a team award. How many state records did Carothers break?
LeeCoUK you are starting to act like some of those democrats. I hope you don't organize a ("womans parts" hat march) in protest. I understand your disappointment. Jake was an outstanding player and also well deserving of the award. But to say Jamal getting it is a joke is uncalled for and you are better than that. Jamal won the award and Russian hackers didn't play a role in it.
And being Mr. Football does means a player has to break State Records. Carothers AS EXPECTED! I preferably would have gone with Walker Wood @ Lex Lafayette.
Carothers, Johnson, & Wood all three made a strong case for this award. There's no question Johnson had the better career statistically and historically. However, it is hard going against Carothers' 3 state titles in 4 years. Congrats to him.
Where is Johnson going to college?
Meltdown from the P.C. people in 3. 2. 1.
Congrats to the kid and good luck to him with football and in serving his country as well with the Navy! Confusedalute: Those boys, all three, are all cream of the crop from this past season.
Congrats to Jamal.
Mr. Football is suppose to be the player who meant the most to their team, and helped that team succeed. If that is truly what it was based on no question Johnson should have won. BG would have won 5A if they had Carothers or not. PC would have been an average team at best without Johnson.
Mark_my_words Wrote:Mr. Football is suppose to be the player who meant the most to their team, and helped that team succeed. If that is truly what it was based on no question Johnson should have won. BG would have won 5A if they had Carothers or not. PC would have been an average team at best without Johnson.

pc had the game tied at half (which no one expected) johnson gets hurt and the wheels fall off.
congrats to carothers..

very deserving on and off the field.
Mark_my_words Wrote:Mr. Football is suppose to be the player who meant the most to their team, and helped that team succeed. If that is truly what it was based on no question Johnson should have won. BG would have won 5A if they had Carothers or not. PC would have been an average team at best without Johnson.

Ninja Wrote:pc had the game tied at half (which no one expected) johnson gets hurt and the wheels fall off.

Exactly! Jake Johnson meant far more to his team than any other player in the state this past year. Another reason why the Mr Football award is now a joke!
Can anyone tell me the criteria for picking Mr. Football? Where is it written down? I've never seen it. Is it a career award or whoever has the best season? Everybody says it's a career award, but Where is it written down? I don't think the voters know. I'd like to see it.
I think its for the best player. Stats will come into play but should not be deciding factor.
They made the right choice there is not even a close second to this kid
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Exactly! Jake Johnson meant far more to his team than any other player in the state this past year. Another reason why the Mr Football award is now a joke!

He is overated they threw the ball to him 100 times a game Carothers is much better.
Wrangler Wrote:He is overated they threw the ball to him 100 times a game Carothers is much better.

Geeze Wrangler you just spew garbage everywhere don't you?

I believe any of the above mentioned were acceptable outcomes. However, I also believe had Jake Johnson played at a more heavily media covered area (Like Bowling Green or Lexington) He would have probably won it. If it is based off career, he makes the best case. If it is based off a season, he makes the best case. This kid is the real deal and creates magic everywhere he plays. Would have been a real treat to have seen a young man from Pulaski County win it.
I hope Wrangler is an adolescent and not an adult. Getting on a blog and saying a certain high school player is overrated and not deserving of a certain award is sad; if an adult. The player mentioned I'm sure has done nothing to Wrangler, except maybe defeat their team sometime during his career. Then Wrangler tells lies like "they threw to him 100 times a game." Sounds similar to lies a certain national politician and his staff are telling to the American citizens to convince them his agenda is best for USA. For all those Mr. Football finalist that didn't win Mr. football, you guys are exceptional players, we wish you luck and congratulations on a great career. You all were deserving and NOT OVERRATED.
Thirsty Dog Wrote:I hope Wrangler is an adolescent and not an adult. Getting on a blog and saying a certain high school player is overrated and not deserving of a certain award is sad; if an adult. The player mentioned I'm sure has done nothing to Wrangler, except maybe defeat their team sometime during his career. Then Wrangler tells lies like "they threw to him 100 times a game." Sounds similar to lies a certain national politician and his staff are telling to the American citizens to convince them his agenda is best for USA. For all those Mr. Football finalist that didn't win Mr. football, you guys are exceptional players, we wish you luck and congratulations on a great career. You all were deserving and NOT OVERRATED.

I liken Wrangler to a bird. Likes to fly in, squawk a bit after landing, then drop crap and fly out. This bird's roost is the McCreary Central thread according to it and it's favorite post is:
:gtfo:
and it has just branched out lately to other trees. Been a member since December and already 102 posts. Think it may be someone's alter ego. Go look at all posts by Wrangler. We have a bird like that on the Rockcastle threads that posts that way sometimes that isn't quite as obnoxious as Wrangler. Just feel sorry for the decent McCreary people that can't post anything without it flying in and fertilizing.
Wrangler Wrote:He is overated they threw the ball to him 100 times a game Carothers is much better.

I bet you've never even seen Johnson or Carothers play. Heck, Carothers didn't even play defense. Jake Johnson NEVER came off the field. He played offense, defense, and special teams and he still managed to set all those state records as well as school records on defense. I'm sure there a lot of people who didn't know that Jake had 9 interceptions with 309 yards and 2 TDs this past season.

Like another poster stated, whether the Mr Football award is career based, season based, or some of both, Johnson was still the most deserving.
To throw the ball to someone as many times as you claimed they did wrangler, that is a testament to the kid for being open and catching the ball that many times. It is tough stuff for any wide receiver to get open being double teamed and being your offense's main weapon. All the more reason it was special to see what Jake Johnson did this season.
I saw Jake Johnson play several times. His interception in semi game this year changed the game and sent them back to the finals. His dad played for Johnson Central.