Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tennessee 89 Kentucky 85
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I honestly think that a spot should be made for Mr.Basketball at UK regardless of how good you are if you need the position. I mean heck, we got Brandon Stockton for crying out loud!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I honestly think that a spot should be made for Mr.Basketball at UK regardless of how good you are if you need the position. I mean heck, we got Brandon Stockton for crying out loud!

We got him, and people nearly lynched Tubby Smith for it. Along with Josh Carrier. Lofton was a lot like both, Tubby knew the fans didn't like the previous two, and didn't see much difference in Lofton.

It's really hard to make a spot for Lofton in that season as well considering Kentucky had the unanimous #1 recruiting class in basketball.

People really really just need to get over it.
alfus21 Wrote:final.

I'll have my crow with ketchup. I just never thought Kentucky would have played that poor of a defense. So many open shots.

You seem to be eating quite a bit of that stuff the past couple years. Someday you'll learn Tubby isn't going to get it done at Kentucky. When you finally do, maybe then you'll enjoy a good meal every now and then.:dontthink
The two Mr. Basketball player's that we get lately are, Carrier and Stockton, not exactly Chris Lofton. How in the world can people say Lofton did not look like a D-1 recruit, what was about 35 points he averaged in the Sweet 16, probably Tubby's and Pitino's biggest mistake.
mcfan1 Wrote:The two Mr. Basketball player's that we get lately are, Carrier and Stockton, not exactly Chris Lofton. How in the world can people say Lofton did not look like a D-1 recruit, what was about 35 points he averaged in the Sweet 16, probably Tubby's and Pitino's biggest mistake.

If you remember correctly in the head-to-head matchup between Lofton and Tub's boy Brian, Lofton skooled him and totally embarrassed the kid. I think that alone ticked off Tubby an was one reason he didn't recruit him. Don't doubt for a minute that Donna would let him after Lofton manhandled her little boy.
alfus21 Wrote:Yeah #1 ranked point guard in the class of 04, who was a 1st round draft pick in the NBA draft. Why would Tubby go after an All American like Rondo, Crawford(#1 SG in his class) and Morris (#1 Center in his class) along with a highly ranked Bradley other than a zero star Lofton. I guess you need to be hitting up a college team to scout if you honestly knew that Lofton was going to be this good, because Tubby didn't see it, Pitino didn't see it, and Huggins didn't see it.

Had Lofton went to Oak Hill his senior year he woulda been ranked in the top of his class too. If you couldn't tell that he was gonna be a good college player just by watchin him at the state tourney every year then somethin wrong with you. Rondo didn't deserve to be a first round draft pick, what did he ever prove in college.
alfus21 Wrote:It's really hard to make a spot for Lofton in that season as well considering Kentucky had the unanimous #1 recruiting class in basketball.

Yeah, and what has that fantastic recruitin class proved, what have they done besides turn long time UK fans away.
UK's def really did not come to play tonight. Made a great come back but they should not have been in that situation.
Redneck Wrote:Had Lofton went to Oak Hill his senior year he woulda been ranked in the top of his class too. If you couldn't tell that he was gonna be a good college player just by watchin him at the state tourney every year then somethin wrong with you. Rondo didn't deserve to be a first round draft pick, what did he ever prove in college.

Smile Man you just know it all. You seriously need to go apply for coaching jobs since you would have taken Lofton over two All-Americans in Crawford and Rondo. You know more than Tubby, Pitino, Huggins, and almost every other coach in the country. It was obvious he was good, but it's not hard to look good in the state of Kentucky in high school basketball as it is overall pretty weak.

Oh, or you could apply to be an NBA Scout since you know more than them now too, Smile
seemed to me UK should have had a couple more and 1s. and tennessee should have had a few less. but nevertheless to many turnovers at key times in the game and horriable defense by randolph morris picked up his first foul late late into the game.
Redneck Wrote:Yeah, and what has that fantastic recruitin class proved, what have they done besides turn long time UK fans away.

I would just about thank them for that if it turns fans like you away.
Kentucky's defense was HORRENDOUS! It was completely different defensive team than what played in the Florida game. Meeks and Jasper didn't really produce like they usually do, and Crawford and Bradley took too long to realize that a game was even being played. This team, all season, has not put one solid game together. They play for maybe 25-30 minutes, but it takes 40 to win a game. All it takes is a rough 5-10 minute start, and they're done. It happened against Florida and again tonight against the Vols. Once they figure out how to play all 40 minutes, they will be able to play with anyone.
alfus21 Wrote:Yeah #1 ranked point guard in the class of 04, who was a 1st round draft pick in the NBA draft. Why would Tubby go after an All American like Rondo, Crawford(#1 SG in his class) and Morris (#1 Center in his class) along with a highly ranked Bradley other than a zero star Lofton. I guess you need to be hitting up a college team to scout if you honestly knew that Lofton was going to be this good, because Tubby didn't see it, Pitino didn't see it, and Huggins didn't see it.

Chris Lofton was 3 star by the way. Michael Porter is a 2 star...So what exactly did he see in Michael Porter that he didnt see in Lofton?
15thRegionX Wrote:Chris Lofton was 3 star by the way. Michael Porter is a 2 star...So what exactly did he see in Michael Porter that he didnt see in Lofton?

Lofton was later made a 3 star late in the process. He was unranked until after Tennessee signed him and they re ranked the class.
Rondo wasnt the #1 ranked pg in 04 ..Sebastian Telefair was Rondo wouldnt even look in the direction of UK until Pitino signed Telafair .
The Fan Wrote:Rondo wasnt the #1 ranked pg in 04 ..Sebastian Telefair was Rondo wouldnt even look in the direction of UK until Pitino signed Telafair .

And Telfair never played a game at Louisville either, neither did Shaun Livingston, making Rondo the #1 point guard according to many ranking systems to play in in that class.

I don't care if Rondo was looking at UK before or not. He came, end of story.
alfus21 Wrote:And Telfair never played a game at Louisville either, neither did Shaun Livingston, making Rondo the #1 point guard according to many ranking systems to play in in that class.

I don't care if Rondo was looking at UK before or not. He came, end of story.
i have seen many many post by you on numerous threads and if you disagree with someone you cannot get your point across without being an arrogant punk .get me kicked off or not i dont care but if someone doesnt seen your point of view you always have a smart aleck response to them . I have been meaning to say this for awhile .
alfus21 Wrote:Smile Man you just know it all. You seriously need to go apply for coaching jobs since you would have taken Lofton over two All-Americans in Crawford and Rondo. You know more than Tubby, Pitino, Huggins, and almost every other coach in the country. It was obvious he was good, but it's not hard to look good in the state of Kentucky in high school basketball as it is overall pretty weak.

Oh, or you could apply to be an NBA Scout since you know more than them now too, Smile

What has Rondo done in the NBA besides turn the ball over. Why did coach K sign JJ Reddick, because he was an outstanding shooter and that was all he could do. Lofton was/is an outstanding shooter who is on pace to break Reddicks records. Lofton has hit 284 three point field goals in his career already, but I guess he didn't learn how to shoot til he got to college though did he. Just because you know Tubby personally and he is a good guy doesn't mean he is a good coach or recruiter. How many times on this site have we heard about his horrible recruitin, about a million. This site isn't the only place you'll hear/see it either. It doesn't matter where I go, if the subject gets brought up that's one of the first things brought into the conversation, even by some DIE HARD UK fans. Tubby is a HORRIBLE RECRUITER. Rick Pitino won without #1 ranked players comin outta high school. If he woulda never left UK and was still here we would probably have a few more national championship banners hangin in the raftors..
Redneck Wrote:It's funny everyone in the state of Kentucky thought he was D1 and wanted him at UK, but Tubby thought players like Rondo were better Rolleyes .

To answer your first question, NEVER... Explain to us again why Tubby didn't go for Lofton Super_de, explain why he thought players like Rondo, Crawford and Bradley were better.

Because they were all americans, and tell me, What did the other 2 mr Basketball's Do at kentucky? Absolutley nothing so tell me why would he take his chance with onther mr basketball when he got all americans instead of a 2 star recruit. I mean crap id love to have lofton but there is no point of still complaining about it, because think of it this way lofton wouldnt shoot half of the shots he does at tenn, because tubby wouldnt allow it. So that should answer your question.
Redneck Wrote:What has Rondo done in the NBA besides turn the ball over. Why did coach K sign JJ Reddick, because he was an outstanding shooter and that was all he could do. Lofton was/is an outstanding shooter who is on pace to break Reddicks records. Lofton has hit 284 three point field goals in his career already, but I guess he didn't learn how to shoot til he got to college though did he. Just because you know Tubby personally and he is a good guy doesn't mean he is a good coach or recruiter. How many times on this site have we heard about his horrible recruitin, about a million. This site isn't the only place you'll hear/see it either. It doesn't matter where I go, if the subject gets brought up that's one of the first things brought into the conversation, even by some DIE HARD UK fans. Tubby is a HORRIBLE RECRUITER. Rick Pitino won without #1 ranked players comin outta high school. If he woulda never left UK and was still here we would probably have a few more national championship banners hangin in the raftors..

I hated Rondo at UK, and I still do so I'm not going to stand up for him. I was simply stating he was a blue chip recruit that seemed to be a good option at the time.

I can also agree with you that Tubby makes questionable recruiting decisions, especially regarding this senior and sophomore class. Other than that, he has had some bad guys but he has done well also with the likes of Hayes, Daniels, Azubukie, Fitch, Hawkins, and Bogans.

It's been hit and miss, and if there's one vice I have with Tubby Smith it's his recruiting. I'm hoping that it will change when/if Patterson and Lucas commit for this class. Plus Tubby is recruiting harder than ever before on the class of 2008 with Kenny Frease, Gordon, Jurick, McMasters, and Miller plus more.

Rick Pitino won some without top recruits, but Mashburn was a ringer, and the whole 96' team was full of top recruits. And once again, I hate that Pitino left. You won't see me say I don't, and I do think he may have won another title or two by now, but he left us and is no longer the same coach he once was.
Super_de Wrote:Because they were all americans, and tell me, What did the other 2 mr Basketball's Do at kentucky? Absolutley nothing so tell me why would he take his chance with onther mr basketball when he got all americans instead of a 2 star recruit. I mean crap id love to have lofton but there is no point of still complaining about it, because think of it this way lofton wouldnt shoot half of the shots he does at tenn, because tubby wouldnt allow it. So that should answer your question.

He sure aint got a problem with Bradleys ignorant @$$ firing up the shots he does. Crawford just come around this year, he didn't shoot the ball worth a damn last year or the year before and Tubby let him fire away. Lofton has hitmore threes alone then Bradley and Crawford have COMBINED, why wouldn't Tubby let him shoot the ball. It was evident that Lofton was ten times the player and athlete Carrier and Stockton was. Lofton finish as one of the best shooters to ever play college basketball, and that's not somethin he learned to do over night, he always could light it up.
alfus21 Wrote:I hated Rondo at UK, and I still do so I'm not going to stand up for him. I was simply stating he was a blue chip recruit that seemed to be a good option at the time.

I can also agree with you that Tubby makes questionable recruiting decisions, especially regarding this senior and sophomore class. Other than that, he has had some bad guys but he has done well also with the likes of Hayes, Daniels, Azubukie, Fitch, Hawkins, and Bogans.

It's been hit and miss, and if there's one vice I have with Tubby Smith it's his recruiting. I'm hoping that it will change when/if Patterson and Lucas commit for this class. Plus Tubby is recruiting harder than ever before on the class of 2008 with Kenny Frease, Gordon, Jurick, McMasters, and Miller plus more.

Rick Pitino won some without top recruits, but Mashburn was a ringer, and the whole 96' team was full of top recruits. And once again, I hate that Pitino left. You won't see me say I don't, and I do think he may have won another title or two by now, but he left us and is no longer the same coach he once was.

He has landed some great players, but that was when players wanted to play at UK, kids don't want to anymore.
Redneck Wrote:He sure aint got a problem with Bradleys ignorant @$$ firing up the shots he does. Crawford just come around this year, he didn't shoot the ball worth a damn last year or the year before and Tubby let him fire away. Lofton has hitmore threes alone then Bradley and Crawford have COMBINED, why wouldn't Tubby let him shoot the ball. It was evident that Lofton was ten times the player and athlete Carrier and Stockton was. Lofton finish as one of the best shooters to ever play college basketball, and that's not somethin he learned to do over night, he always could light it up.
And if you know so much, Why dont you go recruit for kentucky mr big shot?
Redneck Wrote:He has landed some great players, but that was when players wanted to play at UK, kids don't want to anymore.

So in the span of 3 years nobody wants to come to Kentucky anymore? I could have sworn some great players came in this past season named Meeks, Jasper, and Stevenson. Not to mention how huge next year's class could be.
Super_de Wrote:And if you know so much, Why dont you go recruit for kentucky mr big shot?

I'm wondering the exact same thing. Guy knows it all about recruiting. More than any college coach in the area about recruiting anyways. Since he saw it in Lofton and nobody else did.
Funny how alfus continues his feeble effort to explain Tubby's recruiting shortcomings and continual ten loss seasons. Are you the captain of Tub's ship, the Titanic?

Give it up man. Tub is not the one to bring UK back to greatness. You need to learn that fast.
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:Funny how alfus continues his feeble effort to explain Tubby's recruiting shortcomings and continual ten loss seasons. Are you the captain of Tub's ship, the Titanic?

Give it up man. Tub is not the one to bring UK back to greatness. You need to learn that fast.
watch out he will start cutting you with those wise cracking bards or if he really dislikes your post he will just erase it like he has mine
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:Funny how alfus continues his feeble effort to explain Tubby's recruiting shortcomings and continual ten loss seasons. Are you the captain of Tub's ship, the Titanic?

I thought my effort was a little more than feeble. And to judge a season by 10 loss seasons in this day and age is becoming unrealistic. UCONN and Duke will finish with 10 losses this season along with Louisville and probably Indiana. All of the great programs, and UNC got swept by VTech tonight.

And yeah, I guess I am the captain of the titanic. Thanks for using that phrase, I've only seen it 100 times tonight on other forums.

I believe Tubby could take UK again to a final four. You don't have to, but there's no need to crap on optimistic fans' parades because you don't like him. This season is not over, and I know anything can happen with a few minor adjustments. (not including changing coaches before you say that) Even with the fact that you and the other bashers don't like Tubby it's not going to change anything because the Athletics Association knows that Tubby is capable of making a run with any team.

Like I've said before. Tubby isn't leaving. You and the other bashers aren't going to change that. Rupp will still fill up, and fans will still support the program, so the best thing for you to do is go be a Louisville fan or jump on any bandwagon for that matter until it hits a bump in the road then you can jump off and find another one. Seems to be all UK fans are good for is jumping ship when times are bad, and jumping on when times are good.
in all fairness alfus, the only reason Huggins didnt take him was because Lofton didnt have a rap sheet..
:thumpsup: simple but excellent post...I love seeing Lofton play great, and IMO, he is hands down the best player in the conference. IMO he is the best pure shooter in the country, and I love seeing him absolutely light up every team he faces, and especially UK..I too would rather see UK win the game, but cant help but bust out a big fat smile when he lights them up.
Redneck Wrote:I love seein Lofton play good against anyone Tennessee faces, but I love it even more when he plays good again UK. I would rather see UK win the game though.
Pages: 1 2 3