Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Floyd's Henry Webb controlling region again during realignment?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here are some facts that the media and region should know that has been going on behind the scenes for years. This will be long, but could probably be much longer.

Timeline
2004-2005 Discussion from KHSAA about realigning the 15th region which involved splitting up the 4 Floyd County H.S. Henry Webb then calls Belfry's Paul Dotson who was on his last year of the board of control seat, and says we can't split my Floyd Co. district up during this realignment.

Webb then comes up with a plan to keep his schools together.
They then tell the 16th regions' Marvin Moore we will get you all the votes you need to win the upcoming board of control race if you do this for us. We will take Lawrence Co from the 16th if you move them to the 57th and keep all 4 Floyd Co. Schools together and keep Lawrence out of Pike Co.

Low and behold, the next year Marvin Moore wins the board of control seat, Lawrence is moved to the 57th district with 4 other strong teams, and Floyd stays together without moving Betsy Layne over to 60th. This is the start of the politics.

2011-2012
Henry Webb wants to win the upcoming board of control seat. He tells the 16th region schools he will guarantee Lawrence stays in the 15th region as long as they get his vote for board of control.

Low and behold, Henry Webb wins the 15th/16th board of control member seat and his promise to never move Lawrence back to the 16th under his watch is now in place.

2016-2017
Henry Webb knows the 15 team region cannot be aligned to four districts with four teams in it unless they bring in Jenkins. Again, moving Betsy Layne to the 59th or 60th makes geographical sense but would split his district up.
NOW IT STARTS TO ALL UNRAVEL.
Pike County Superintendent says I will vote for any reallignment as long as it doesn't involve my schools having to travel to Lawrence County. Henry Webb knows he is down to 3 schools and must take another school. The only problem is if that school they take is good any sports then he ONLY gets 1 school in each region tournament most years. He knows Lawrence County is the problem because he brought them in to our region. Noone wants Lawrence County in their district because of travel and they are good. Henry knows his district is about to be split up so here is what he comes up with.
1. Call a meeting this past Monday with only regions superintendents and Julian Tackett. No others input is welcome even though he is region's elected board of control member.
2. He presents 6 options that he knows the other districts don't want because he has already talked to Pike Co superintendent and knows he won't vote for anything involving Lawrence in his districts.
3. He then says (becuase he knows noone wants Lawrence) "I will take Lawrence County in the 58th district with us with the exception that everyone in here votes for the Super Region Option so all my teams make the region each year" Then he comments about all his Floyd County Athletes transferring from his schools moving out to other region schools (Paintsville, JC, Pikeville, and SV).
4. Then he blows all the superintendents minds when he says "If you don't vote for Super Region and we take Lawrence then I will go to my board of education members tomorrow and have them revolk every reciprocal agreement we have with all our surrounding school districts" Basically threatening them they have to vote for the super region. This guarantees him all 3 Floyd schools in every region tournament instead of 1 team.
5. The superintendents then all say Super Region is fine after the threat he makes.
6. Julian Tackett and Henry Webb then go to board of control yesterday and tell them we have a plan all superintendents are for "Super Region" for the 15th. Henry Webb and Julian Tackett know if it is a BIG FLOP, now they can both blame it on the region superintendents instead of Henry and Julian. The reason for this is Henry wants to be the next KHSAA Commissioner when Julian retires and doesn't want to have a black eye when this thing flops. BUT THERE IS ANOTHER CATCH. Instead of it being a one year trial period, Henry and Julian make is a MULTI-YEAR trial so the FLOP doesn't happen on their watch. WOW!!!
7. So here we are with a SUPER REGION that all Floyd county schools and everyone else makes the region.
8. The next move Henry Webb is now making is getting the region basketball tournament out of the EXPO and to Floyd Central.

In conclusion, Henry Webb's hand in all this goes way back with no one really seeing what is going on behind the scenes. Just thought the public needed to know this. The bottom line is he has disrupted the entire 15th region since 2005-2006 because he is looking out for his Floyd County schools and that is it. He does not want them split up and for some reason the KHSAA will not make the move, step in, and say here is your new realignment based on geographics and live with it.

Henry Webb will be the blame for the Super Region FLOP and the basketball region tournament going back to the schools. Henry Webb should step down from his board of control position for threatening the region's superintendents about reciprocal agreements to get their vote for the super region and for pushing his agenda through without getting anyone else's opinion. As a board member, he should represent the region schools not just his schools.
ITS A SAD DAY FOR THE 15TH REGION!
Floyd County has 1 15th region boys basketball title in the past 20 sessons. South Floyd won it in 2001.

Webb can try to do whatever he wants.... but the fact is, Floyd County does not have good basketball.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Floyd County has 1 15th region boys basketball title in the past 20 sessons. South Floyd won it in 2001.

Webb can try to do whatever he wants.... but the fact is, Floyd County does not have good basketball.

It isn't about the winning, it's about the winningS $$$$$$!
Floyd Central will be your 15th region champs in their inaugural season.
All it ever is POLITICS.

What does this do for district games? And their tournament?
And we all have been told over and over. It's all about the "kids". That's....well you know. This is not just for basketball, it's other sports too. Baseball, softball, volleyball, etc. If this was such a good idea (SUPER REGIONAL), why isn't all other regions doing the same thing. I have talked to a few AD and Principlas. Some had no clue until yeasterday what was being proposed. All this was decided in a closed meeting among Superintendents and JT. No principlas no ADs. Then evidently there was no communication between some Supers and their schools. I heard today that LCHS made a deal to move to 58th if they would be allowed to host the district tournaments for basketball, baseball, sofrtball and leave PCCHS hanging, it was PCCHS turn in the rotation. Sad times. Makes me wonder why some Pike County media outlets have not jumped all over this. Think of how much money will be lost with this move. I bet the parents really support this move. Sad times in the 15th.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Webb can try to do whatever he wants.... but the fact is, Floyd County does not have good basketball.

Not arguing with ya' because I know the state of Floyd co basketball and it hurts me a bit to be honest..What do you think the reason is now, because it wasn't always this way..
Sad thing is boys basketball has the best feeder system of all programs in the district and look how that is turning out. They have elementary and middle school programs with big participation numbers. When the season is over several teams play at the Sports Plex. Every middle school and elementary school has a basketball program. Not every elementary school has football most combine teams; like BL/Stumbo, Duff/May Valley, Osborne/McDowell. I hear Allen didnt have a middle school team. Numbers game. Plus, not many building administrators are athletic minded from what I'm told by parents. They would rather assign 2-3 hours of homework and not be bothered with athletics. Just ask around and you'll get plenty of push back. Parents want their children to have success in the classroom, and they also like to see their children have success out side the classroom. High school programs in struggle mode except for volleyball
Laughable
Thirsty Dog Wrote:Plus, not many building administrators are athletic minded from what I'm told by parents. They would rather assign 2-3 hours of homework and not be bothered with athletics.

That is true, Ive seen it first hand..
I don't want to bad mouth the system too much as academics are in such good shape but at the same time its all about those almighty, all important test scores and making the boss look good.
I love a good political argument. The fact of the matter is Floyd County and Henry Webb are irrelevant.
Floyd County is not a good basketball County. Facts are Facts.
They've had some good teams, but only 5 regional championships over the past 40 years and one win in the Sweet Sixteen in that time period tells me all I need to know.

2001: South Floyd
1994: Allen Central (Elite 8)
1989: Prestonsburg
1980: Betsy Layne
1976: Betsy Layne

Regional realignment, Super Regional, it's not gonna increase the talent/coaching/support from the BOE to make an impact in the Floyd County school system.
And believe me, I'm not bashing the schools or players in Floyd County. I just have a hard time believing Webb is in a conspiracy to 'control' the 15th region.

The new payment breakdown might have Floyd County wishing they were in the 14th region.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I just have a hard time believing Webb is in a conspiracy to 'control' the 15th region.

It seems to me now that Floyd co school board cares far more about its rank in state academics than it does its athletics. Webb just won superintendent of the year and I think Floyd co is like 6th in the state with several individual schools in the top 10 in the state...
Not a bad thing by any means but that's the gospel now in Floyd co schools.. Academics and test scores.
Blacksmith Wrote:It seems to me now that Floyd co cares far more about its rank in state academics than it does its athletics. Webb just won superintendent of the year and I think Floyd co is like 6th in the state with several individual schools in the top 10 in the state...
Sure not saying that's a bad thing but since the big push toward academics the athletics haven't been the same(seems like anyway)..Maybe just a coincidence I don't know.

If the Floyd County students are really getting one of the best educations in the state, then kudos to all involved.

If Webb really is the best Superintendent in the state, then kudos to him.

But I'm not buying it, preparing kids for a standardized test is not getting an education. We can debate what makes a good school all day, but using the standardized testing for a basis of being named a Top 10 school and having the District be named #6 in the state doesn't mean they really are. Being able to answer a test to pacify the test graders is not an education. Again, this is not me bashing Floyd County, but the entire standardized testing in general.
School ranks should be issued 5-10 years after a class graduates.
Im not disagreeing with you, Im just saying that's what they are pushing. I hate how they push test scores. I don't care for standardized test scores. I often wonder if pushing test scores are less about the kids and more about bragging rights..I have a boy in 1st grade and does 2-3 hours of homework a night,every night. I think its a bit much myself.
Im of a mind that this type of structured learning/education is not for everyone..College is not for everyone. The trades/trade school are a viable alternative and often pay much,much more than most any BS desgree and many masters, but that's never taught to kids in school..But im getting off topic here..
Thirsty Dog Wrote:And we all have been told over and over. It's all about the "kids". That's....well you know. This is not just for basketball, it's other sports too. Baseball, softball, volleyball, etc. If this was such a good idea (SUPER REGIONAL), why isn't all other regions doing the same thing. I have talked to a few AD and Principlas. Some had no clue until yeasterday what was being proposed. All this was decided in a closed meeting among Superintendents and JT. No principlas no ADs. Then evidently there was no communication between some Supers and their schools. I heard today that LCHS made a deal to move to 58th if they would be allowed to host the district tournaments for basketball, baseball, sofrtball and leave PCCHS hanging, it was PCCHS turn in the rotation. Sad times. Makes me wonder why some Pike County media outlets have not jumped all over this. Think of how much money will be lost with this move. I bet the parents really support this move. Sad times in the 15th.

Can't blame lawrence for wanting to host a district. They haven't hosted since 2010. When it was their turn they get shipped to the 60th (Sheldon Clark wasn't capable to host lawrence last year of 57th. State should of allowed lawrence to host, then placed them at back of new district when they moved to the 60th to allow each school an equal opportunity to host a district) . When their turn comes next year they would go to end of rotation of 58th and miss out again. No way Floyd would vote for them to host coming there. And would put this last again. Would not host a district for 11 years. What other school who is capable can say that anywhere in the state.

Lawrence has hosted two district tournaments since 2001. That's crazy
If Henry Webb can get the tournament moved out of the Expo, I for one will praise him.
Trump will fix it!
reflaine Wrote:Can't blame lawrence for wanting to host a district. They haven't hosted since 2010. When it was their turn they get shipped to the 60th (Sheldon Clark wasn't capable to host lawrence last year of 57th. State should of allowed lawrence to host, then placed them at back of new district when they moved to the 60th to allow each school an equal opportunity to host a district) . When their turn comes next year they would go to end of rotation of 58th and miss out again. No way Floyd would vote for them to host coming there. And would put this last again. Would not host a district for 11 years. What other school who is capable can say that anywhere in the state.

Lawrence has hosted two district tournaments since 2001. That's crazy

Remember, several on here talk about how the administration doesn't understand that it's "about the kids". Yet, when things are brought up (like your post), and show that the kids from LC haven't had the opportunity to host a district tournament, nobody sees that.
When I was attending Lawrence County as a student, we never really felt like we were a 16th region team. We feel that our best fit is with the 15th region teams. It's not like this alignment is anything out of the ordinary. If I'm not mistaken, isn't North Laurel and South Laurel in opposite districts? And they are separated by just 5-10 miles......nobody is going crazy about that. To be honest, these districts need to be more even. Nothing is perfect geographically. But some districts have it easier than others, and the talent doesn't make for a great regional tournament. Just my 2 cents.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:Trump will fix it!

Make the 15th Region Great Again
Redneck Wrote:Make the 15th Region Great Again

That's a tall order even for the president Im afraid
Lawrence Should probably be a 15th region team but geographical alignment makes the most sense because of travel. Lawrence to Phelps is a 1 hour 45 minute drive at best, and the closest to them in district is PCC and Belfry which is a 1 hour and 10 min drive at best (on bus). This is pretty ridiculous. Pike Central and Pikeville are 4 miles apart and they are not in same district, craziness. Just my opinion:
REGION 15
District 57 – Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, Paintsville, Lawrence County
District 58 – Floyd Central, Piarist, Prestonsburg, Magoffin County
District 59 – East Ridge, Jenkins, Betsy Layne, Shelby Valley
District 60 – Belfry, Phelps, Pike County Central, Pikeville
Media is reporting even more politics that were played by Henry Webb to get Super Region vote. Pike Co superintendent said he would not vote for any realignment that kept Lawrence Co in one of his two districts. Henry Webb then countered with I will take Lawrence as long as you vote for a Super Region and give Lawrence district tournaments for basketball, baseball and softball this year. This way my Floyd co teams get to host the next three years of district tournaments. Also all your Pike Co schools will make Region every year in every sport this way as well. EVERYBODY GETS A TROPHY mentality! I will post more as all of Henry Webb's games are unveiled.
Redneck Wrote:If Henry Webb can get the tournament moved out of the Expo, I for one will praise him.
Harlan county did it when they opened up and go it away from the Corbin Arena for a year. :rockon:
poppypi2015 Wrote:Media is reporting even more politics that were played by Henry Webb to get Super Region vote. Pike Co superintendent said he would not vote for any realignment that kept Lawrence Co in one of his two districts. Henry Webb then countered with I will take Lawrence as long as you vote for a Super Region and give Lawrence district tournaments for basketball, baseball and softball this year. This way my Floyd co teams get to host the next three years of district tournaments. Also all your Pike Co schools will make Region every year in every sport this way as well. EVERYBODY GETS A TROPHY mentality! I will post more as all of Henry Webb's games are unveiled.
definitely wants to be the next khsaa commissioner, probably has a good shot too
I didn't get to see which media was reporting this! Help us out a little.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:I didn't get to see which media was reporting this! Help us out a little.

EKB, sports talk show and now allkyhoops.com is reporting the move to Lawrence. Local talk shows have all been very critical of this move, some of which have had local school officials being very critical of messing with the system as well.
poppypi2015 Wrote:EKB, sports talk show and now allkyhoops.com is reporting the move to Lawrence. Local talk shows have all been very critical of this move, some of which have had local school officials being very critical of messing with the system as well.

Why is everyone up in arms about this? It could be great! From what I have read, the super regional could be something that other regions will go to. The district tournaments could play a vital part in the seeding of the regionals, adding to their excitement as well in all sports involved. What the super regional appears to be doing is eliminating those districts that have been dominated by 1 or 2 teams year after year and opens up the regional tournament to everyone to make a run. Nothing wrong with that. How many times did the 57th have a team sitting at home after district play when they were one of the top 3-4 teams in the region?

People are just really bad at accepting change these days. This does nothing to hurt any one particular team, and does nothing to help one particular team. The teams and talent is spread out throughout all districts and the super regional will crown the true champ. Nothing wrong with that. :Thumbs:
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Why is everyone up in arms about this? It could be great! From what I have read, the super regional could be something that other regions will go to. The district tournaments could play a vital part in the seeding of the regionals, adding to their excitement as well in all sports involved. What the super regional appears to be doing is eliminating those districts that have been dominated by 1 or 2 teams year after year and opens up the regional tournament to everyone to make a run. Nothing wrong with that. How many times did the 57th have a team sitting at home after district play when they were one of the top 3-4 teams in the region?

People are just really bad at accepting change these days. This does nothing to hurt any one particular team, and does nothing to help one particular team. The teams and talent is spread out throughout all districts and the super regional will crown the true champ. Nothing wrong with that. :Thumbs:
It may not be "hurting" but it is most definitley helping many of the teams who would not have been in the tourny otherwise. I am a believer in rewarding "accomplshment" not "participation"
Pages: 1 2