Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th region realignment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Board of Control of the KHSAA will meet Thursday, January 12th with one of the topics being realignment of the 15th Region along with the possibility of a "super regional" tournament. A request will be made to have a pilot project to expand the regional tournament to all teams, and use a ratings system to determine seeding from the Cantrell rankings, Maxpreps or coaches voting and/or combination.

Here's the working notes from the KHSAA portal:

REGION 15 ALIGNMENT DISCUSSIONS
CURRENT
REGION 15
District 57 – Johnson Central, Magoffin County, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark
District 58 – Allen Central, Betsy Layne, Prestonsburg, South Floyd
District 59 – East Ridge, Piarist, Pikeville, Shelby Valley
District 60 – Belfry, Lawrence County, Phelps, Pike County Central

Option 1
Lawrence to 57th, Magoffin to 58th, Jenkins to 59th and Piarist to 60th.
REGION 15
District 57 – Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark
District 58 – Betsy Layne, Floyd Central, Magoffin County, Prestonsburg.
District 59 – East Ridge, Jenkins, Pikeville, Shelby Valley
District 60 – Belfry, Phelps, Piarist, Pike County Central

Option 2
57th Have 3 team district and Magoffin to 58th no other change
District 57 – Johnson Central, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark
District 58 – Betsy Layne, Floyd Central, Magoffin County, Prestonsburg

Option 3
58th have 3 team district with no other change
District 58 – Betsy Layne, Floyd Central, Prestonsburg

Option 4
 Super Regional
 All teams have limit of games reduced by one
 All Teams advance to regional.
 Use Cantrill Rating the State, MaxPreps, other ranking system, or Coaches voting and/or
combination
 First Round played at Home Site of Top Seed, Final 8 Played as Normal.
 Could lead to additional revenue and excitement.
 Would be applicable and available to any region with 16 or fewer teams.
 This Region serving as pilot for entire state

Option 5
District 57 – Johnson Central, Paintsville, Piarist, Sheldon Clark
District 58 – Betsy Layne, Floyd Central, Magoffin County, Prestonsburg

Option 6
58th have 3 team district with no other change
District 58 – Betsy Layne, Floyd Central, Lawrence County, Prestonsburg
District 60 – Belfry, Phelps, Pike County Central, Piarist
Option #1 or the Super Regional. I feel option #1 will be what they go for because if anyone wasn't going to give up having district tournaments it would be the 14th or 15th regions. The super regional idea would probably fly much better elsewhere.
I like the Super Regional idea as well.
I like option 4 the super regional.
Option 5.
I would vote for the Super Region:

-Every team Must play all other teams in the region at least once.
-Keep the districts and tie breakers as they are but rename them Conferences:
(57th 4-teams, 58th 3-teams, 59th-4 teams and 60th 4-teams.)
**If, Jenkins is added place them in the 59th and Piarist moves to the 58th.
-The 4 conference winners are the top 4 seeds. Seeding based on head to head against the other three winners.
**If, a team is not added to make 16 teams the team that wins their conference and has the best record against the other conference winners is the #1 Seed and gets a bye in the 1st round. Tie breaker is points allowed.
-The other 11-12 teams are seeded on record against other region teams.Tie breaker points allowed.
-1st Round games at the home of the higher seed.
-2nd Round games at 4 Conference winners gym whether they advance or not.
-Semi-Final games played at Shelby Valley, Belfry, Floyd Central and Johnson Central on a rotational basis year by year.(Only because of size and parking).
-Championship game at Expo Center.

** Or whatever they decide!��
Option 5 is good too.
Can someone tell me why JC, Paintsville, Lawrence Co, and Piarist isn't an option for a district? Aren't districts geographically based? Magoffin, Floyd, P'burg and BL? Why does Lawrence have to drive thru 2 districts to get to theirs?
How solid is Piarist now? They were in and out of competition in years past.

I could see a move of Knott and JBS to the 14th and HCHS and Harlan to the 14th working.
Why do people in 15 th want to do the "Super Regional" AGAIN! They tried this once before and it was a cluster. Then to top it all off they want to use whatever rankings to seed after district play. Let's just make it more complicated, shall we. Are we sure they are doing this for the "kids", or are they really doing it for adults that think they have all the answers and then ram it down everyone's throat. I think it's an adult thing and to heck with the student athlete. I agree it all regions in KY is going to do this, but let's not get hoodwinked again. People in other regions would put these futuristic thinkers out of a position to make these types of decisions. If this was for sure a great idea, why aren't other regions doing this. It all comes down to this, the 57th has been upset since LCHS moved into that district from the 16th. So, the KHSAA moved them to the 60th. Why? They travel through an entire district to play in their assigned district. Really they pass through two districts. Phelps is in their district. How can people that made that decision justify such a movemove? Oh, they can, but is will be from their narrow minded point of view. I hope they do the simple thing and put LCHS back in 57th and move MCHS to 58th. People tell me Magoffin wants to move to the 58th. Keep the district and regional tournaments as is, but that is too simple evidently.
Thirsty Dog Wrote:Why do people in 15 th want to do the "Super Regional" AGAIN! They tried this once before and it was a cluster. Then to top it all off they want to use whatever rankings to seed after district play. Let's just make it more complicated, shall we. Are we sure they are doing this for the "kids", or are they really doing it for adults that think they have all the answers and then ram it down everyone's throat. I think it's an adult thing and to heck with the student athlete. I agree it all regions in KY is going to do this, but let's not get hoodwinked again. People in other regions would put these futuristic thinkers out of a position to make these types of decisions. If this was for sure a great idea, why aren't other regions doing this. It all comes down to this, the 57th has been upset since LCHS moved into that district from the 16th. So, the KHSAA moved them to the 60th. Why? They travel through an entire district to play in their assigned district. Really they pass through two districts. Phelps is in their district. How can people that made that decision justify such a movemove? Oh, they can, but is will be from their narrow minded point of view. I hope they do the simple thing and put LCHS back in 57th and move MCHS to 58th. People tell me Magoffin wants to move to the 58th. Keep the district and regional tournaments as is, but that is too simple evidently.

They never did a super regional, it was a 59th+60th super district
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Can someone tell me why JC, Paintsville, Lawrence Co, and Piarist isn't an option for a district? Aren't districts geographically based? Magoffin, Floyd, P'burg and BL? Why does Lawrence have to drive thru 2 districts to get to theirs?

TheChief old but some wisdom left. Smoke signals indicate Floyd Superintendent not break up 58th. Floyd Superintendent sit on KHSAA Board of Control who makes decision.
Thirsty Dog Wrote:Why do people in 15 th want to do the "Super Regional" AGAIN! They tried this once before and it was a cluster. Then to top it all off they want to use whatever rankings to seed after district play. Let's just make it more complicated, shall we. Are we sure they are doing this for the "kids", or are they really doing it for adults that think they have all the answers and then ram it down everyone's throat. I think it's an adult thing and to heck with the student athlete. I agree it all regions in KY is going to do this, but let's not get hoodwinked again. People in other regions would put these futuristic thinkers out of a position to make these types of decisions. If this was for sure a great idea, why aren't other regions doing this. It all comes down to this, the 57th has been upset since LCHS moved into that district from the 16th. So, the KHSAA moved them to the 60th. Why? They travel through an entire district to play in their assigned district. Really they pass through two districts. Phelps is in their district. How can people that made that decision justify such a movemove? Oh, they can, but is will be from their narrow minded point of view. I hope they do the simple thing and put LCHS back in 57th and move MCHS to 58th. People tell me Magoffin wants to move to the 58th. Keep the district and regional tournaments as is, but that is too simple evidently.

Chief receive smoke signals that Floyd Superintendent and Pike County AD made deal to send Lawrence to 60th.

Old Indian Proverb: Children learn from what they see. We need to set an example of truth and action.
Option 6 looks like its going to pass!
I don't know as much as the Chief but I'd say option 6 with a super region.
Word is it will be option 6. Makes no sense but as usual it appears Lawrence is the issue. Jc don't want them Pike don't want them and for some reason Dr Webb playing peacemaker put them in 58. I hope I was told wrong, super regional ok but other sports impacted also.
Word on the street is that whatever alignment that is gonna happen has already been voted on by the schools and their KHSAA District representative..... and only awaiting Julian Tackett's signature to become official.

Like I said earlier in this thread, Option 5, IMO, is the most likely to happen.

Option 5
District 57 – Johnson Central, Paintsville, Piarist, Sheldon Clark.
Johnson County now has three high schools from three different school districts. Sheldon Clark would be the best choice to make this a four team district.

District 58 – Betsy Layne, Floyd Central, Magoffin County, Prestonsburg.
Adding Magoffin County in place of one of the consolidated Floyd County schools would be the best option here.

District 59 – East Ridge, Jenkins, Pikeville, Shelby Valley.
Adding Jenkins in place of the Piarist school would be better all the way around.

District 60 – Belfry, Lawrence County, Phelps, Pike County Central.
This district doesn't change from the current alignment.
I will say that option 1 is the choice
I heard same but just that different option was reached as compromise of some sort. I hope you are right and what I was told was bad information
No matter how it's redrawn it's a travesty to the kids, families and schools of Phelps and Lawrence if Lawrence remains in the 60th.
If they stay in the 60th it's nothing but politics pure and simple. It's almost two hour drive for kids and families.
I heard they ended up making a new option 7.

They are just going to put Everybody in the 57th and call it the Super 57th. Because one of their teams win it EVERY Year anyways!!!!��
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always under the impression that LCHS wanted to move to the 60th district.
Move Lawrence out, pianist to the 58. Jenkins and Letcher into the 15
How about this?

57-- JC, Paintsville, Piarist, Magoffin
58-- BL, Floyd Cent, Prestonsburg, Pikeville
59-- SV, ER, Jenkins, Letcher, Jenkins
60-- Belfry, PC, Phelps, Sheldon Clark

Move Lawrence back to 16th.
Makes most geographical sense
If Lawrence stays put them in 57th
Move Magoffin to 58th
Move Pikeville to 59th
Leave 60th as above
Keep Letcher in 14th
Real Badman Wrote:Move Lawrence out, pianist to the 58. Jenkins and Letcher into the 15

This makes the most sense but we know common sense does not prevail. LCC, Jenkins, SV, and ER in a district. Pikeville, Belfry, PCC, and Phelps. FCC, P'burg, BL, and Magoffin. JC, Paintsville, Piarist, and SC. There's the 15th region.

The issue then becomes where does Lawrence fit back into the 16th? Without any restructure you would have a 5 team district of Ashland, Boyd Co, Fairview, Rose Hill, and Lawrence Co. OR LC, East and West Carter, Elliott Co, and Morgan Co. If the persistant rumors of Fairview consolidating with Boyd Co ever come true then problem solved. Until then your unbalancing a balanced region to balance another.

The whole state needs to be re-drawn...or do 5 or 6 team districts like football. Top 4 go to the playoffs. Everyone below that does not.
Why is Piarist considered for the 57th? Everyone knows it is in Floyd County?

Also consider the fact that Wesley Christian may join the KHSAA.

Paintsville, JC, Magoffin, Sheldon Clark
Floyd Central, Betsy Layne, Piarist, Prestonsburg
Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Jenkins, Letcher Central
Pike Central, Belfry, Phelps, East Ridge
Real Badman Wrote:Why is Piarist considered for the 57th? Everyone knows it is in Floyd County?
I thought Piarist used the old Johnson County alternative school now as their school? I figured thats why we were seeing them show up in the 57th options all of the sudden.
Creeker Wrote:I thought Piarist used the old Johnson County alternative school now as their school? I figured thats why we were seeing them show up in the 57th options all of the sudden.

Yeah, I believe they have moved to Johnson County. I thought at one point they were supposed to be moving to Prestonsburg from Martin, but I am guessing those plans were changed and they took over the old alternative school in Johnson County.
clipperw Wrote:Yeah, I believe they have moved to Johnson County. I thought at one point they were supposed to be moving to Prestonsburg from Martin, but I am guessing those plans were changed and they took over the old alternative school in Johnson County.

What gym do they use, Porter Elementary?
The Super Regional sounds like fun... I would vote for that
Redneck Wrote:What gym do they use, Porter Elementary?

If I am not mistaken, almost all of their games are on the road. I think their "home" gym is the Knott County Sportplex but if I saw their schedule right, the only have one home game listed on the schedule, a game against Riverside Christian. Even district games that are played twice, both games are listed as away on the KHSAA site.
Pages: 1 2 3