Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tourneys at the Expo center ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ive seen a lot of shared posts by a few friends in the Pikeville area complaining about the tourney at the expo center..Saying that the athletes having to pay $7 and throw away their gatorades, bottles of water or whatever other drinks they try to bring in with them..Are they really making them pay $3 for a bottle of water and making them throw their own away before entering?
I've seen the same thing on facebook, many people complaining about this. IMO, I think the All "A" and the Region tourney should go back to high school gyms. I know there are only a hand full with the capacity to host the tournament (my school not being one of them), but that doesn't bother me. The atmosphere at the Expo sucks. The price of admission is a joke, the concessions prices are a joke.
The expo policy is out of touch. People paying 7.00 admission are not trying to 'get one over' by bringing in a drink. I would feel so awkward going through bags and purses like a TSA agent looking for contraband. I'm sure the workers assigned to do it hate it. The policy needs to change. It's a shame it hasn't been changed yet.
Especially the athletes. if they want to bring in a Gatorade I don't see what the problem could possibly be..I mean going through diaper bags and backpacks to ferret out contraband seems a little ridiculous to me..Ive no doubt the employees having to do it feel like crap for doing it.
I sneak mine in.

Don't ask me where I hide it, either!!!

Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:I sneak mine in.

Don't ask me where I hide it, either!!!

Confusednicker:

What you don't want to pay $3 for a bottle of water :biggrin:
The Expo center is so far removed from what it was.

When the 15th region tournament started at the expo in 2006.... IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!
Now it is just TERRIBLE....... TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Several people I know won't go to any more games up there just because of how bad it's managed.
Gotta keep the lights on, folks! Place is sinkin faster than Titanic! Without Chris Stapleton coming to HBDays the place is in big trouble!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The Expo center is so far removed from what it was.

When the 15th region tournament started at the expo in 2006.... IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!
Now it is just TERRIBLE....... TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Several people I know won't go to any more games up there just because of how bad it's managed.

I haven't been to a game up there since 08.
Redneck Wrote:I haven't been to a game up there since 08.

You're not missing anything.

With some better management, the Expo center would be one of the best places in the state to have a regional tournament.

With the current 'administration', it's a dumpster fire.

Johnson Central, Magoffin County, Prestonsburg, Pike County Central, Belfry, Floyd Central.... there are enough high school gyms in the 15th to host the regional tournament. The 'Buzz' around the Expo center hosting is dead and buried.
Big Don Wrote:Gotta keep the lights on, folks! Place is sinkin faster than Titanic! Without Chris Stapleton coming to HBDays the place is in big trouble!
Ridiculous. They actually have a pretty good slate of shows scheduled so far and are losing less money than ever before. Now, as it pertains to the tourney, I have to agree somewhat regarding how it's handled. It's a little pricey, and the concessions are always pricey. Admission at $7 is about $2 higher than average games in this area, which isn't the huge deal, it's the concession prices that appear to be the real deal breaker. As for bag checks, those are standard at any venue of this type. That's the sad reality of the type of world we live in right now where security has to be a concern. I had not heard about players having to toss their drinks and if it is true, it's silly.
One more thing about the Expo center....

One of the common Pro's for having the 15th region at the Expo is that playing the games there 'will "prepare" teams for playing at Rupp.'

2006: JC: Lost in the first round.
2007: Shelby Valley: Lost in the first round.
2008: Paintsville: Lost in the Elite 8.
2009: Shelby Valley: Lost in the Elite 8.
2010: Shelby Valley: State Champions
2011: Shelby Valley: Lost in the first round.
2012: JC: Lost in the first round.
2013: JC: Lost in the first round.
2014: JC: Lost in the Elite 8.
2015: JC: Lost in the first round.
2016: Lawrence County: Lost in the first round.

The 15th Region has Seven total wins Eleven seasons at the Expo so far. With One state championship.
Ppl should be happy about security checks. It makes me feel a lot safer.
But the players drinks is ridiculous. Concession prices are ridiculous.

I watched a 1988 Regional final between Sheldon Clark and Phelps last night on throwback Thursday when the region was held at Pikeville. The atmosphere was crazy good. I wish it could go back to that.
I was also at the actual game in 1988 and I guess I took it for granted how good it was then.
PHSForever Wrote:Ridiculous. They actually have a pretty good slate of shows scheduled so far and are losing less money than ever before. Now, as it pertains to the tourney, I have to agree somewhat regarding how it's handled. It's a little pricey, and the concessions are always pricey. Admission at $7 is about $2 higher than average games in this area, which isn't the huge deal, it's the concession prices that appear to be the real deal breaker. As for bag checks, those are standard at any venue of this type. That's the sad reality of the type of world we live in right now where security has to be a concern. I had not heard about players having to toss their drinks and if it is true, it's silly.
You are right, you can't go to a regular season HS basketball game for less than $5 a person admission, so $7 doesn't seem to be too much to ask for regional tournament. Concessions are just ridiculous and not just at the Expo, but I think we all know this. While there are a lot of schools that have the capacity to handle a regional tournament, parking is the main issue it seems.
Creeker Wrote:You are right, you can't go to a regular season HS basketball game for less than $5 a person admission, so $7 doesn't seem to be too much to ask for regional tournament. Concessions are just ridiculous and not just at the Expo, but I think we all know this. While there are a lot of schools that have the capacity to handle a regional tournament, parking is the main issue it seems.

Xi agree with parking.
Iwould say these gyms could hold the tourney
Johnson Central
Maybe Magoffin
Floyd Central
Shelby Valley
East Ridge
Pike Central
Belfry
Johnson Central - More than enough parking.
Magoffin County - More than enough parking.
Prestonsburg - The parking is tight, but better than most.
Pike County Central - More than enough parking.
Pikeville - Parking is good.
Shelby Valley - More than enough parking.
Belfry - More than enough parking.
Lawrence County - Parking is good.

Floyd Central - Haven't seen the school yet, so I'm not sure.
East Ridge - I've never been to ER, so I can't say one way or the other.

Paintsville, Sheldon Clark, Betsy Layne, The Piarist School, Phelps.... IMO, these schools cannot host the regional tournament.

We have the gyms to move the 15th region around from year to year.

Ex.
2017 - 57th Dist.
2018 - 58th Dist.
2019 - 59th Dist.
2020 - 60th Dist.

Keep a four year rotation between the schools in each District that can host the regional.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Johnson Central - More than enough parking.
Magoffin County - More than enough parking.
Prestonsburg - The parking is tight, but better than most.
Pike County Central - More than enough parking.
Pikeville - Parking is good.
Shelby Valley - More than enough parking.
Belfry - More than enough parking.
Lawrence County - Parking is good.

Floyd Central - Haven't seen the school yet, so I'm not sure.
East Ridge - I've never been to ER, so I can't say one way or the other.

Paintsville, Sheldon Clark, Betsy Layne, The Piarist School, Phelps.... IMO, these schools cannot host the regional tournament.

We have the gyms to move the 15th region around from year to year.

Ex.
2017 - 57th Dist.
2018 - 58th Dist.
2019 - 59th Dist.
2020 - 60th Dist.

Keep a four year rotation between the schools in each District that can host the regional.

That is why I didn't include pburg
East Ridge has more than enough parking
I would say Floyd Central will be one of the nicest facilities around one completed
I also figured once realignment came out that Lawrence co would be back in 16th
Betsy Laynes new gym will be ok to host.
tebow Wrote:Betsy Laynes new gym will be ok to host.

Where will it be
On the hill
The extra space on the floor is a hidden factor of why certain teams want the 15th region at the Expo.

Teams with better players/athletes can use that extra space to play faster and spread-out more which wears down a team faster.

Of the 11 seasons so far at the Expo, IMO, the best teams each season has won.
Creeker Wrote:You are right, you can't go to a regular season HS basketball game for less than $5 a person admission, so $7 doesn't seem to be too much to ask for regional tournament. Concessions are just ridiculous and not just at the Expo, but I think we all know this. While there are a lot of schools that have the capacity to handle a regional tournament, parking is the main issue it seems.

Not a big difference for 1 person (hey it's only $2 more), but coming behind you is Billy Bob's family Mom, Dad, 2 sisters and lil' brother (hey only $10 more). Sorry kids no hotdogs tonight maybe share a bag of popcorn, don't know what we will do if Billy Bob wins tonight and plays again. POINT is if Billy Bob's team makes it to the finals, FAMILY is out a lot of money!
Warthog Wrote:Where will it be
On the hill

Yeah, it will be on the hill with the high school. I read in the Floyd County Times it will seat between 1,500-2,000 fans.

I know Floyd Central and Magoffin are new schools, but also, isn't Martin County getting a new high school built? Might be another option to add to a possible rotation.
I get attacked when I bring these things up about the 13th always held at The Arena. IMO, it's because only a couple of teams must drive an hour and half just to get there, so add in gas prices for us. When it was HCs' turn to host, we chose our new gymnasium and had plenty of room without having to empty the gym between games. People revolted....mostly those from Corbin, London and Whitley Co area. THEY had to do the drive that year! Confusednicker:

Anyway, say what you will, but when I watch a basketball game at The Arena, it's exactly like watching it on TV......except when I'm home, I'm more comfortable and don't have to drive!!!

I LOVE that electric atmosphere you get in high school gyms. Plus the refs are close enough so they can hear me!!

Confusednicker:
killerb Wrote:Not a big difference for 1 person (hey it's only $2 more), but coming behind you is Billy Bob's family Mom, Dad, 2 sisters and lil' brother (hey only $10 more). Sorry kids no hotdogs tonight maybe share a bag of popcorn, don't know what we will do if Billy Bob wins tonight and plays again. POINT is if Billy Bob's team makes it to the finals, FAMILY is out a lot of money!
Yep, you are right... whether it is at the Expo or at the local high school you're going to be out a lot of money, especially if you hit the concession stand. lol

I'd venture to say the $7 admission for a regional tournament game is pretty consistant across the state though. Concessions seem to be ridiculously overpriced across the state, even at a regular season game.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Of the 11 seasons so far at the Expo, IMO, the best teams each season has won.
I will present 2011 as an argument to this claim lol.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I will present 2011 as an argument to this claim lol.

They did beat Pikeville lol
I love attending games at local home gyms especially the old ones..I don't mind paying $5 for admission and a little extra for pop and popcorn..
I have not went to a tourney game at the expo since they started it up there..It has no feel for me. That and the over-over inflated prices are just a another reason not to go.Not that Im worried about an extra $7 admission but overall.No lose to them I know but none to me either..
Im not convinced its a "security " check looking in bags anyway.Even if it is its not affecting security.If someone wants to get something in that's going to cause a problem its not going to be in their bag anyway. I worked in prisons all my working career.local,state and finally federal before retiring. Weapons are almost never in bags, they are always on the person..Contraband is all you find in bags and you don't find it there if they know what they are doing. Just think about it, all you guys and gals that have a concealed permit. You don't carry it in a bag do you? I sure don't and don't know anyone who does. At the most its a "feel good" security measure with no real affect. Also Im not saying they should not do them Im just speaking to the reality of it.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I will present 2011 as an argument to this claim lol.

Agree, Betsy Layne was best team in region in 2011. All A State Champs and had won 23 straight entering semifinals vs Pikeville.
My 2 cents worth, haha.
I have been going to district and regional tournaments for years, I've seen the gyms packed but I have also seen the expo packed during a regional game. I see both sides of what everyone is saying, if the crowd is smaller during a game then yes being in the expo does effect crowd noise and atmosphere, but I have seen the crowds in expo erupt during games also to where you cant think. I am at local games all the time during the season and the crowds are not the same anymore. I understand that a family of 4-5, 2$ makes a difference and I understand that concessions is high. I have a family of 4 and I pay them all the time lol, but I do it because I love watching not only my kids and family playing but I love watching the game no matter where it is played. I think of it this way, we begged for years to have something to do in our area, well the city of Pikeville gave us the expo center and things to do, so I try and support it the best I can because one day it could be gone and let's be honest what else is around east ky for me or my kids to do. Smile
Pages: 1 2