Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Trading Cards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone still collect?

I collected mostly basketball, with a few baseball and football mixed in as a kid. I stopped collecting when I graduated high school, but I recently started back up again last year.
Is there still a market? I remember in the 1990s they were all the rage, new sets and types coming out on the weekly. Beckett's was the Bible of card collectors everywhere, I remember a mint condition Jordan rookie would easily go for 5 figures, as would essentially any card relating to him, even valuing ones where he wore #45 or the Bulls alternate black jerseys at even higher amounts. Are the big names still in the business? Fleer, Topps, Sage, etc.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:Is there still a market? I remember in the 1990s they were all the rage, new sets and types coming out on the weekly. Beckett's was the Bible of card collectors everywhere, I remember a mint condition Jordan rookie would easily go for 5 figures, as would essentially any card relating to him, even valuing ones where he wore #45 or the Bulls alternate black jerseys at even higher amounts. Are the big names still in the business? Fleer, Topps, Sage, etc.

There is still a good market, but mostly for autographed or game used cards. Topps and Panini are the two big dogs for baseball, basketball, and football these days. It's just difficult these days to make money when buying boxes of cards because the card companies ask for so much money up front these days. What would have been a $30 box of cards 15 years ago is now $100+.