Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 50 Reasons Why Jake Johnson Should Be Mr Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 5850695c63718.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C1675]

1. Has started 60 consecutive varsity career football games, averaging 15 games a year, 4 regional championships, 4 semi-state championships and 4 state Class 5A Finals

2. He was never recruited by the University of Louisville, but Johnson demolished UL standout receiver James Quick's career state reception record by 134 catches

3. Johnson had 12 games throughout his career where he scored 2 or more touchdowns in multiple facets of the game (rushing, receiving, kick off, punt, interception or passing)

4. Has caught more balls than any other receiver in Kentucky High School football history

5. Has 500 more yards than any other receiver in the history of Kentucky high school football

6. Only high school football receiver in the state of Kentucky to have two seasons with 100 or more receptions in one year

7. As a freshman, Johnson scored Pulaski's first-ever touchdown in a state championship football game on a 8-yard strike

8. Has started in 4 consecutive Kentucky High School Athletic Association Class 5A Football State Championship games

9. In the Rockcastle County game this season, Johnson threw for a touchdown, scored a touchdown on a punt return, rushed for a touchdown, returned an interception for a touchdown, and caught a pass on a two-point conversion

10. Runs fake punts

11. Holds for extra points

12. Led the team in interceptions

13. Has never showboated after any of his nearly 500 high school receptions

14. Plays with class

15. Has the Kentucky high school football record for most catches in a season

16. Has the Kentucky high school football record for most receiving career yards

17. Has the Kentucky high school football record for most catches in a career

18. Has 100 more catches than another receiver in the history of Kentucky high school football

19. Has ran the ball as a running back

20. Punts the ball

21. Returns kick-offs

22. Has made 41 receptions in four state championship finals.

23. Has 353 receiving yards in four state championship appearances.

24. Has 551 all-purpose yards in four state championship games.

25. Holds 12 Pulaski County High school football records.

26. Holds the state record for most catches in a career with 414

27. Holds the state record for career receiving yardage, with 5,614 yards receiving

28. Has scored touchdowns in almost every way possible

29. Returns punts

30. Named the all-time best practice player in the program’s history

31. Holds every Pulaski County High School receiving record

32. Ranks second in the state in receptions in a game with 19

33. Has played quarterback in the Wildcat formation

34. Ranks eighth in state in reception yards in one game with 289

35. Ranks seventh in the state in receiving yards in a season with 1,701

36. Ranks second in the state with 64 career touchdowns

37. Holds school record for 9 interceptions in a season

38. Holds school record for career punt return yardage with 993

39. Holds school record for punt return yardage in a season with 485

40. Holds school record for career punt return touchdowns with 4

41. He has never been recruited by the University of Kentucky but in a head-to-head match-up with UK signee Davonte Robinson, Johnson had 5 catches for 68 yards and a touchdown

42. Started every varsity game of his high school career

43. Despite injuring his knee in the 2016 state championship game, he still lined up on offense as a decoy

44. He was never recruited by Vanderbilt University, but Johnson broke former Vanderbilt receiver Johns Cole's state career state receiving yardage record by 633 yards

45. Johnson ran back two kick-offs for touchdowns this season

46. Johnson ran back a punt return for a touchdown this year

47. In Pulaski's first-ever semi-state win, Johnson scored the game-winning touchdown on a 4th-and-goal

48. In Pulaski's last semi-state win, Johnson returned a kick-off for a touchdown and had a touchdown reception

49. Out of his 414 career receptions, Johnson has made numerous acrobatic, near-impossible catches and has made them all look easy and routine

50. As a junior, Johnson had a crucial touchdown reception in Pulaski's upset semi-state win at Ft. Thomas Highlands
Great player should get Mr. Football totally agree.....

I did watch him catch a "jet pass" against us and do his fade away jump shot celebration in person...i was in the endzone...

Receptions need a * because he broke the record for receptions because 1/3 came from those jet plays. To break the record he caught 5 against Harlan..the only receptions he had

They are like the qb getting a fumble recovery because of a bad snap thats how Berea has a player with most fumble recoveries...technicality

Go Jags!! We cant wait for the Maroons to come to the Jungle especially without Johnson Great High School football player no question about that.
I agree, he should win it. But let's not go calling out other players to try to help his case. Johnson is a fantastic high school football player, may end up being a great college player. But trying to compare him to Quick or Cole or Robinson is unfair to all four players.
Jake's dad played at Johnson Central.
It's too bad his family couldn't stay around here for Jake's high school career as well.

Imagine having Jake on this year's JC team.
worncleat Wrote:Great player should get Mr. Football totally agree.....

I did watch him catch a "jet pass" against us and do his fade away jump shot celebration in person...i was in the endzone...

Receptions need a * because he broke the record for receptions because 1/3 came from those jet plays. To break the record he caught 5 against Harlan..the only receptions he had

They are like the qb getting a fumble recovery because of a bad snap thats how Berea has a player with most fumble recoveries...technicality

Go Jags!! We cant wait for the Maroons to come to the Jungle especially without Johnson Great High School football player no question about that.
If you took away every jet toss reception in his career (which is more like 1/6) he still owns the record by alot. His stats were not padded purposely in the Harlan game. The offense was forced to make adjustments due to the QB getting hurt. Your post gets an asterick for being misinformed.
Woody Hayes Wrote:If you took away every jet toss reception in his career (which is more like 1/6) he still owns the record by alot. His stats were not padded purposely in the Harlan game. The offense was forced to make adjustments due to the QB getting hurt. Your post gets an asterick for being misinformed.

Yeah not sure I am tracking with him either... it's like saying a RB should have his rushing yards decreased because they run a Option Pitch or Toss Sweep...
worncleat Wrote:Great player should get Mr. Football totally agree.....

1/3? Seriously. I guess PC's QB for 3 of Johnson's 4 years is only the starting QB at Georgetown because of his outstanding ability to complete the jet toss. Get real, Johnson re-wrote the KHSAA record books for receivers any way you want to slice it. Congrats on a great career.
Numbers speak for them self. Great career.
Woody Hayes Wrote:If you took away every jet toss reception in his career (which is more like 1/6) he still owns the record by alot. His stats were not padded purposely in the Harlan game. The offense was forced to make adjustments due to the QB getting hurt. Your post gets an asterick for being misinformed.

And you couldn't see more than 10 yards in front of you in the HC game
James Quick and John Cole had top end speed though...
Hard to compare recievers vs recivers in a game. And to say he did this or that better then them is apples and oranges due to the quality of defensive backs and schemes. Team could of doubled up on those guys all night.
Hes def the best, period.
Just dont agree with a few of the points.

Also, is mr football about entire career or best season? Honest question as i dont know how it's determined.
It's based on your entire high school career. That's why only seniors can win it.
RoShamBo Wrote:It's based on your entire high school career. That's why only seniors can win it.

I thought they opened it up to juniors too recently?
I really hope Kentucky gets on board because Louisville just offered Jake Johnson a preferred walk-on spot this past Wednesday!
Preferred Walk-on is a recruiting term. All walk-ons are the same...They still have to try out, and make the team..It is just a nice way to say we want you, but not enough.....
SouthSider Wrote:Preferred Walk-on is a recruiting term. All walk-ons are the same...They still have to try out, and make the team..It is just a nice way to say we want you, but not enough.....

Sorry Southsider, but you are wrong. PWO are on the team, they just don't receive football money. A walk-on has to make the cut.
You can get sold either way..Walk-Ons are Walk-Ons....Preferred Walk-ons get no money and Joe Blow Walk-Ons get No money....The only thing you are guaranteed in a spot on the Roster Day1 of camp, but then can get cut on Day 2.
Warrior 2002 Wrote:Sorry Southsider, but you are wrong. PWO are on the team, they just don't receive football money. A walk-on has to make the cut.

SouthSider Wrote:You can get sold either way..Walk-Ons are Walk-Ons....Preferred Walk-ons get no money and Joe Blow Walk-Ons get No money....The only thing you are guaranteed in a spot on the Roster Day1 of camp, but then can get cut on Day 2.

It's actually more in the middle of the two.

As pointed out a PWO is guaranteed a spot on Day 1 of camp. No trying out. More pressure from the staff to hold on. No money though. Still get swag, clothes, etc.

Once you are on the overall roster there is a good chance you will stay there unless you walk away.

With that said, making the game day roster and being on the roster are two different things. Most walk-ons won't dress out on Saturday's and most walk-ons definitely will not make the travel roster. They end up basically trading getting their brains beat in at practice in exchange for gear and the ability to be on the sideline on Saturday's (even if not in pads)

Now with that said, if you walk-on and prove you can contribute you can definitely become a legit viable part of the team and in certain cases it will lead to a scholarship if one comes available.I think Johnson is capable of this. He reminds me of the Renfro kid from Clemson.
Question I have for everyone.

Is Mr. Football a 1 year award or is it a career award? Reason I ask - I always have looked at it as a 1 year award but the discussion always ends up talking about the 4 year period.
InsideStunt Wrote:Question I have for everyone.

Is Mr. Football a 1 year award or is it a career award? Reason I ask - I always have looked at it as a 1 year award but the discussion always ends up talking about the 4 year period.

There is no set criteria for the award that anyone can reference which is stupid.

It is simply voter's preference. Some view it for an one year deal, some view it for a career, some view it as the best college prospect.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:There is no set criteria for the award that anyone can reference which is stupid.

It is simply voter's preference. Some view it for an one year deal, some view it for a career, some view it as the best college prospect.

I am someone who always thinks of it as a year to year award. It seems as if there should be some clarification.
InsideStunt Wrote:I am someone who always thinks of it as a year to year award. It seems as if there should be some clarification.

I am an overall picture guy with an emphasis on their Senior season.

- I think the player needs to be recruited for the next level to qualify (in other words if 5'8 145 Joe Jones at rural 1A School rushes for 6000 yards against awful competition I dont think he should be up for it)

- I think the player's team should at the very least advance beyond the Regional Finals to be considered.

- Based off their overall season and significance to their team's success the award should be given

- Extra consideration should be given toward career achievements and records.
If it's for a career Jake Johnson is there, but if it's for a season I find it hard to beat the numbers Walker Wood put up. Threw for 30 touchdowns and ran for 31.. that's insane. Video game numbers
CoachNM0523 Wrote:If it's for a career Jake Johnson is there, but if it's for a season I find it hard to beat the numbers Walker Wood put up. Threw for 30 touchdowns and ran for 31.. that's insane. Video game numbers

I agree, those are impressive numbers. But I just don't think there anymore impressive than Johnson's. 139 receptions, over 1700 yards, 20 plus td's, passing td's, rushing td's, numerous pick 6's, kick off return td's, punt return td's, 9 interceptions. And he's done it for four years. I'm going to look back and compare the level of competition each played and maybe that will change things. But for now I'm on the Johnson bandwagon, hope he gets it.
Warrior 2002 Wrote:I agree, those are impressive numbers. But I just don't think there anymore impressive than Johnson's. 139 receptions, over 1700 yards, 20 plus td's, passing td's, rushing td's, numerous pick 6's, kick off return td's, punt return td's, 9 interceptions. And he's done it for four years. I'm going to look back and compare the level of competition each played and maybe that will change things. But for now I'm on the Johnson bandwagon, hope he gets it.
Plus he has helped lead his team to the State finials 4 years in a row, so its not like he is getting these numbers against Joe blow teams.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Yeah not sure I am tracking with him either... it's like saying a RB should have his rushing yards decreased because they run a Option Pitch or Toss Sweep...

Not really.

Those are still technically runs and counted as such. The little jet pass is technically a pass, but I don't know a single coach who actually schemes them as such. The whole design is simply a running play where they don't have to worry about slowing down to take a handoff.

I get the argument against counting it as receiving yards, but it's still technically a pass since it went forward. But, theoretically and schematically, it's purely a run.
Do they usually wait until golf season to announce the winner?Confusederiously:
Frozen Tundra Wrote:Do they usually wait until golf season to announce the winner?Confusederiously:

I've never understood why they wait so long to announce it. They usually do it by the end of January, but I see no need to wait nearly two months after the season is over to announce it. I feel as though it should be announced in Bowling Green after all of the championship games have concluded.