Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville 2017
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The Pikeville Panthers had a pretty good run this season, but didn't reach the goal that was set. What does the season look like for 2017 ?
I know they lose a good Senior class, but they do return one of the top dual threat QB's (in my opinion) in the state.

All I know for sure is never count out Coach Mac, him and his staff will get it figured out.
They have a great QB back in Battaile, Rhodes is a nice player. Dawahare is a good piece on Defense.

With that said, Pikeville gets hit with some big losses on the Line, lose Mr. Versatility Blake Charles, their two best receivers, and some starting defensive guys as well.

Probably going to be a reloading year for the Panthers with Hazard looking like a juggernaut next year.
Redneck Wrote:I know they lose a good Senior class, but they do return one of the top dual threat QB's (in my opinion) in the state.

All I know for sure is never count out Coach Mac, him and his staff will get it figured out.

Wyatt B is without a doubt one of the Top duel threat QB's in the state so having that type of center piece to build your offense around is a good place to be setting! They'll have enough skill guys and big bodies to be in the mix as usual!
Pikeville just reloads.
We lose some talented seniors for sure. But, we have an Uber talented incoming sophomore class that can fill in the holes at all positions needed. Its all going to come down to how well our off-season training goes and how quickly these younger players catch on. We may take some lumps early depending on our schedule due to our youth, especially on Defense. Wouldn't surprise me if we don't win our district due to how much Hazard has returning. But, Coach Mac and staff will get these kids better as the year goes on and be ready for the playoffs.
Freshmen Jackson Hensley, and Seth Pugh have really come on strong at WR especially through mid season, not to mention Soph. Christian Billiter at WR. all have been counted on through several games, and have gained valuable experience. Wyatt Bataille hooking up with them will be a familiar sight. They're young but will bring some game experience to the table. Just to mention a few.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Freshmen Jackson Hensley, and Seth Pugh have really come on strong at WR especially through mid season, not to mention Soph. Christian Billiter at WR. all have been counted on through several games, and have gained valuable experience. Wyatt Bataille hooking up with them will be a familiar sight. They're young but will bring some game experience to the table. Just to mention a few.

Besides a little strength commonly being attached to freshman, being young at skill positions doesn't tell anyone anything other than their young! Wyatt was "young" when he led Pikeville to a state championship! JWP was young this year and one of the hardest hitters in 1A! MANY young talented players in the mountains and no doubt Pikeville will be just fine next year! Pikevilles biggest issue will be the same issue that Paintsville will have next year! HAZARD! Maybe they'll let both of us play them at the same time!!!
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:Besides a little strength commonly being attached to freshman, being young at skill positions doesn't tell anyone anything other than their young! Wyatt was "young" when he led Pikeville to a state championship! JWP was young this year and one of the hardest hitters in 1A! MANY young talented players in the mountains and no doubt Pikeville will be just fine next year! Pikevilles biggest issue will be the same issue that Paintsville will have next year! HAZARD! Maybe they'll let both of us play them at the same time!!!

Agree. However, my point is, Hensley played more like an upperclassman than a Freshmen by starting early in the season. Pugh came on as the season progressed, and has the pedigree as well. Imo, both show great promise for the future of this team along with Campbell Dawahare, and should be counted on heavily next season. Lol! Not a bad idea with Hazard taking on both teams. Just might level the playing field some. Looks like they're gonna be loaded, cocked, and ready.
This Pikeville Sophomore Class is going to be special... let's make no bones about it.

With that said, this is the prototype "bridge year" and with Hazard about to be WAY up I think this will be the year Coach Mac coaches heavily on future development.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This Pikeville Sophomore Class is going to be special... let's make no bones about it.

With that said, this is the prototype "bridge year" and with Hazard about to be WAY up I think this will be the year Coach Mac coaches heavily on future development.
Somewhat agree. But don't sell the line development short. Boys have been back in the weight room since the season ended. They will be better there than people expect. Obviously a ton of experience to replace, but having had an actual JV schedule this year allowed for some valuable experience and coaching.
No doubt about it. Coach Mac and staff will do the very best with what's there. That JV line caught my eye in certain games this past season. Noticed they play with a lot of heart as well.
Pikeville should remain competitive in 1A....but definitely going thru a rebuilding/retooling period. I would expect them to seriously contend for a return trip to Bowling Green in 2018
Should be solid n the favorite in 2 years again when those freshmen are seniors.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Pikeville should remain competitive in 1A....but definitely going thru a rebuilding/retooling period. I would expect them to seriously contend for a return trip to Bowling Green in 2018
They will seriously contend to go back to BG each of the next 3 years. Will they? That is of course the question for EVERY school, but being loaded at skill positions and a fairly young line that got a LOT of work this year will make them tougher than people think.

As of right now, schedule looks to remain the same as this year with exception of PCB opponent, and of course South Floyd no longer being in the district. Not 100% sure on whether Pburg will be back on the schedule or not, and not sure if the Lucasville East game was a home and home agreement or a one year deal. Typically home and home though. If so, in no order, schedule would have Belfry, Jenkins, Hazard, Lucasville, Fairview and Pike Central maybe on it. Not sure what will happen with South Floyd gone and whether or not Paintsville remains either. I have heard the rumors regarding PCB opponent, but I do not have confirmation.
Well now I've heard Jenkins is dropping from district play as well? Anyone know if this is true or not? If so, big wrench in the schedule. Frankly as a fan and parent, it gets tiresome watching these older programs really struggle because it makes it even harder for us to gain any true benefit from playing the game beyond allowing the younger guys to rack up playing time.
PHSForever Wrote:Well now I've heard Jenkins is dropping from district play as well? Anyone know if this is true or not? If so, big wrench in the schedule. Frankly as a fan and parent, it gets tiresome watching these older programs really struggle because it makes it even harder for us to gain any true benefit from playing the game beyond allowing the younger guys to rack up playing time.

yes they are. Hazard is looking to fill the game next year with someone. So I guess you guys will be looking too.
So, according to an interview David Jones of Phelps gave when he was named Appalachian News Express Coach of the Year, Phelps is re-entering district play in 2017. So they will be paired up with Pikeville and Hazard. Rough way to re-enter district play, I really expected them to wait two years before doing so. Thoughts on this anyone?
Schedule?
Strikeout King Wrote:Schedule?
As of right now, in no order, Lucasville Valley, Phelps, Hazard, Belfry are the known. PCB opponent not official, nor a replacement for South Floyd. Unsure if Paintsville and Prestonsburg stays on regular season schedule, and I'm pretty sure Fairview will.
Congrats to Coach Jones of Phelps for being named ANE Coach of the year. Phelps played last season like they had an infusion of Vit. B12 under Jones' direction. A final season record of 4 - 6 is not where you want to finish, but compare that to the previous season. Going back into district play in 2017 shows confidence in his team, I would think. Hooking up with Pikeville and Phelps will be a "Baptism of fire" for the Hornets I would think, but should bold well for them in the whole scheme of things.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Congrats to Coach Jones of Phelps for being named ANE Coach of the year. Phelps played last season like they had an infusion of Vit. B12 under Jones' direction. A final season record of 4 - 6 is not where you want to finish, but compare that to the previous season. Going back into district play in 2017 shows confidence in his team, I would think. Hooking up with Pikeville and Phelps will be a "Baptism of fire" for the Hornets I would think, but should bold well for them in the whole scheme of things.

Correction. Should read Pikeville and Hazard.
Any update on schedule for next year.
Someone has to know who they play in the P.C.B.

I am driving from Buckeye Lake, Ohio again to watch all of the games in the P.C.B.
This is what I've been able to piece together so far.
PIKEVILLE
8/18/2017 H HOLY CROSS (COVINGTON)
8/26/2017 H LEXINGTON CHRISTIAN Pike County Bowl
9/1/2017
9/8/2017
9/15/2017 A BELFRY
9/22/2017
9/29/2017 A HAZARD
10/6/2017
10/13/2017 H PHELPS
10/20/2017 A TOLSIA
10/27/2017
LCA in the Pike County Bowl?

That's a really good opponent. LCA is going to be very stout this year.
I think even though Pikeville lost some key components from last year, when you are able to return your go-to guy calling the shots at QB then you should feel pretty confident in the upcoming season.
Pikeville returns a solid team. They will be a dangerous team come playoff time. But with all class A teams injuries play a big factor. The Pikeville offense should be pretty good as always but the defense will be the question mark replacing a tackling machine in Blake Charles and a solid secondary. Pikeville will also miss the coaches son who made the tough catches.
Spud6 Wrote:I think even though Pikeville lost some key components from last year, when you are able to return your go-to guy calling the shots at QB then you should feel pretty confident in the upcoming season.

I am hearing that the Qb is going to focus on basketball next season.
He's a lot better football player in the state than basketball. I would think he wouldn't miss his senior year of football. I just hope the wrong people is not in his ear saying he shouldn't play football.
Pages: 1 2 3 4