Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Goldberg signs new WWE Deal to work Royal Rumble
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Goldberg has reportedly signed a new deal over the past week to work Royal Rumble.

The squash match against Lesnar was bc of his tweaked shoulder bc he couldn't have a longer match.
The WWE wasted the last 2+ years of Booking with the Lesnar squash match.

It was great to see Goldberg back in the ring, but the 'Beast' character that Lesnar had is now dead.

No way Lesnar will ever regain that persona either. He can't break the Undertaker's streak again and no matter how the next match or matches go with Goldberg, he will never look as 'strong' as he did before.

Just like when Dr. Death Steve Williams got knocked out in the late 90's "Brawl For All".... his character was D.O.A after his loss.

I really expected the Lesnar/Goldberg match to be much longer with a lot of power 'spots' and false finishes.... but I was wrong.
I love you, Pulp.
Without you, I would have no one to argue with about wrestling.

First, Steve Williams was pushing 40 when he got to the Brawl for All angle and had been wrestling for a long time outside of the WWF. It wasn't like he was destined for greatness with the promotion. That is an anomaly and not the norm.

Second, the "Beast" is not dead. It is impossible for one match with Goldberg (who has already beaten him before and made a career out of two-minute squash matches) to kill his persona. Lesnar is still booked stronger than anyone else on the full-time roster after that loss.

It DOES make Lesnar look SOMEWHAT vulnerable - but is that really a bad thing? What good is it to have a monster heel that can't lose?
zaga_fan Wrote:I love you, Pulp.
Without you, I would have no one to argue with about wrestling.

First, Steve Williams was pushing 40 when he got to the Brawl for All angle and had been wrestling for a long time outside of the WWF. It wasn't like he was destined for greatness with the promotion. That is an anomaly and not the norm.

Second, the "Beast" is not dead. It is impossible for one match with Goldberg (who has already beaten him before and made a career out of two-minute squash matches) to kill his persona. Lesnar is still booked stronger than anyone else on the full-time roster after that loss.

It DOES make Lesnar look SOMEWHAT vulnerable - but is that really a bad thing? What good is it to have a monster heel that can't lose?

According to some BTS interviews, Williams was in line to win the WWF title.

Yes... IMO, the Beast gimmick is dead.
Goldberg did beat Lesnar at WM 20, but that was before Lesnar broke the Taker's WM streak and won the UFC heavyweight title. Goldberg hasn't had a WWE match in 10+ years... then the biggest Draw on the roster 'Jobs' to him in a very hyped up Main event. Lesnar had ZERO offense, Goldberg had 1 shove, 2 spears and 1 jackhammer...... Sorry Not Sorry..... but Lesnar now looks weak. There is nothing Lesnar can do regain his 'Conqueror' persona. He's already won the WWE title multiple times, he's won the UFC title and won a UFC match while under a WWE contract, he broke the Taker's WM streak, he's been the main PPV draw for over two years now. There's nothing left for him to do. Even if he demolishes Goldberg at the Rumble or WM 33.... his character will never recover from the squash match. Lesnar must have got some serious $$$$$$ to 'Laydown' for Goldberg.
Lesnar does not look weak. He's a monster that lost to a monster.
They will play up the fact that Brock didn't take him seriously and turned his back on him.

This was a good piece of business. The casual or lapsed fan did not buy this show to see Goldberg lose to Lesnar in a 20 minute match - they paid to see Goldberg and they paid to see him do what he did in WCW.

I think even the smartest of wrestling fans like to hang on to every finish like it's the end of the world - but you don't lose 2 1/2 years of The Beast because of one night in Canada. Brock took a loss, but he just has to show up on Raw and wreck stuff to get most of it back.
Lesnar is the 2nd confirmed participate in the Rumble. I have heard that Goldberg is signed up through WM33 and it's very possible/likely that we will get Goldberg vs Lesnar RD 3 which Lesnar will more than likely win