Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ufc 205
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone watching the biggest fight card in history tonight? Thoughts/Predictions?
Are there any UFC fans on BGR? I never see any posts on here about it.
I enjoy UFC/MMA.

They have over-saturated the market though..... too many PPV's and events on Fox/FS1.

6-7 events a year would be much better. Better fights and bigger events.

It's not that big of a deal when they have 20 events per year.
Yeah I still watch MMA pretty regularly.
...and after that I'm not sure I'll ever watch again.

I have great disdain for Conor McGregor...that man has single handedly ruined the MMA viewing experience for me.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I enjoy UFC/MMA.

They have over-saturated the market though..... too many PPV's and events on Fox/FS1.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It would definitely make for a lot more excitement and anticipation even if they only had the one pay per view a month instead of having fights practically every weekend. I will say though, by expanding it as much as they have, it has given me the opportunity to go to three events and meet a lot of the fighters that I look up to.
Mr. Pike Central Wrote:...and after that I'm not sure I'll ever watch again.

I have great disdain for Conor McGregor...that man has single handedly ruined the MMA viewing experience for me.

Oh come on, he's the best in the business. If it were that easy for me, I would have fun with it too.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I enjoy UFC/MMA.

How can you have a worldwide fighting promotion and only have 6-7 events each year?
zaga_fan Wrote:How can you have a worldwide fighting promotion and only have 6-7 events each year?

Less is more.
zaga_fan Wrote:How can you have a worldwide fighting promotion and only have 6-7 events each year?

Exactly, the UFC would not have half the popularity it does today with only 6-7 events a year.
This ain't rasslin, Pulp.

You've got multiple divisions on the men and women's side, title contenders, fighters coming up the ranks and veterans that can still draw and want to keep competing. There is no way you can cram all that into 6 or 7 events.

Most big names just fight two or three times per year.
I know they have a lot of events - but it's pretty rare you get a FS1 or a Fight Pass event that has anyone big on it.
IMO, less events would be better.

Agree to Disagree.
zaga_fan Wrote:I know they have a lot of events - but it's pretty rare you get a FS1 or a Fight Pass event that has anyone big on it.

Fight Pass = No, the events that are completely on Fight Pass usually take place in other countries and air at weird times over here. Plus, it's more meant for the hardcore fans that want to see the young up and comers. The only time you will have a big name on Fight Pass with be during the Fight Pass prelims in a huge event like UFC 205 or the 4th of July Pay-Per-View event.

FS1/Fox = Will usually have someone big or at least a top contender in the main event or the co main events depending on how they have it setup. I have been to three events, 2 on FS1 and 1 on Fox, all three had big names in them.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Fight Pass = No, the events that are completely on Fight Pass usually take place in other countries and air at weird times over here. Plus, it's more meant for the hardcore fans that want to see the young up and comers. The only time you will have a big name on Fight Pass with be during the Fight Pass prelims in a huge event like UFC 205 or the 4th of July Pay-Per-View event.

FS1/Fox = Will usually have someone big or at least a top contender in the main event or the co main events depending on how they have it setup. I have been to three events, 2 on FS1 and 1 on Fox, all three had big names in them.

I should have clarified - by big - I meant a PPV level draw.
It isn't common, but they do have guys that can draw money on cable TV. I think McGregor (pre-titles) was on a Fight Night last year and the one in September had Cyborg, Roy Nelson and Bigfoot Silva.

Nelson and Silva are obviously past their prime and they really don't even have a division Cyborg can fight in. Although I think you could label her as a PPV level draw.
zaga_fan Wrote:I should have clarified - by big - I meant a PPV level draw.
It isn't common, but they do have guys that can draw money on cable TV. I think McGregor (pre-titles) was on a Fight Night last year and the one in September had Cyborg, Roy Nelson and Bigfoot Silva.

Nelson and Silva are obviously past their prime and they really don't even have a division Cyborg can fight in. Although I think you could label her as a PPV level draw.

Yes sir! I was at that one! That was UFC Fight Night 59 at TD Garden in Boston against Dennis Siver. I felt like I was in Ireland because so many people had made the trip from overseas!
This year, in Boston, they had the title fight between Dillishaw and Cruz on FS1. The next fight night in February on FS1 was the Johnny Hendricks vs Stephen Thompson fight. Then I had forgotten that the Anderson Silva vs Michael Bisping fight was on Fight Pass. Stephen Thompson also fought Rory MacDonald. There are a handful of others, but I do realize that what I feel like are big name, may not be to a lot of other people.