Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Veterans' Day (11/11)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This Friday night is not only the 2nd Round of the Playoffs, but it is also Veterans' Day.

[Image: 220px-Emblem_of_the_United_States_Depart...my.svg.png]

[Image: 220px-Seal_of_the_United_States_Departme...vy.svg.png]

[Image: 220px-Seal_of_the_US_Air_Force.svg.png]

[Image: 200px-Seal_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps.svg.png]

[Image: 220px-Seal_of_the_United_States_Coast_Guard.svg.png]

Confusedalute:

Thank you to all that have served!!!!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShiSw2cjZo9raxeqaqhlj...4KhB6QL6pA]
Thank you Veterans for defending my country and my freedom!!

Confusedalute:Confusedalute:Confusedalute:Confusedalute:
What a great American day, thank you to all the players for their hard work and the staffs and a gigantic thank you for all of our service men and women that keep us safe and free. Among those are the active, retired, and the ultimate sacrifice veterans Confusedalute:Confusedalute:
Thank you for remembering.
If you don't support the Service academy athletic teams.... then you aren't American!!!

[Image: 582229d83bcd5f30e80b42dacd1c4146.jpg]

[Image: Navy-Football.jpg?template=generic]

[Image: 11419833.jpeg]
I was never in the Military... but my current career is as close to the Military as you can get. I have served on the Honor Guard for staff members who have passed away. Seeing the American Flag folded up and presented to the family members is something that you can't put in to words. Then hearing the Three round volley of Seven shells for a 21 Gun Salute might be the most powerful, moving experience one can have.

[Image: 141002-F-GE514-001.JPG]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsEai_-D9Qf2mebRFW3tn...KmjJQsi7Dg]

[Image: Capture161.jpg]
Thank you to ALL who have served!!!!
I come from a family of military.

My dad and 1 uncle were Air Force (retired)
I have 3 other uncles that were Army
My oldest brother and I were Air Force
My oldest son medically retired due to Purple Heart from Air Force
All 5 of my step brothers were Navy.
I'm 3rd generation. My grandfather was Army in WWII, dad was Marines in Vietnam, then I joined Marines.
killbilly usmc Wrote:I'm 3rd generation. My grandfather was Army in WWII, dad was Marines in Vietnam, then I joined Marines.
Thanks to you and your family for their service. To all veterans, I am grateful. My grandfather served in WWII and attended Veteran's Day services every year until he died, in honor of his "fallen brothers".
I had a great uncle that got blown 3 decks in his ship at Pearl Harbor. They thought he was dead and had him laid out with the dead until someone noticed him moving. I think he lived a productive life for some 30 years after that. It would bring my mom to tears to talk about it as late as they 80's even.
mysonis55 Wrote:I had a great uncle that got blown 3 decks in his ship at Pearl Harbor. They thought he was dead and had him laid out with the dead until someone noticed him moving. I think he lived a productive life for some 30 years after that. It would bring my mom to tears to talk about it as late as they 80's even.

Great story, my dad passed away when I was 7 so didn't get the opportunity to learn about his experiences, but from what my mother told me he barely spoke of Vietnam. I did find a picture of one of his buddies that was killed. She did say he told her about another buddy that got a dear John letter and voluntered for every night patrol they did after that till he got killed.
I think that is a part of that generation. They won't talk about that stuff. My dad was awarded a flying cross in Vietnam. He won't talk about it either. It is a pretty impressive story. I had other ways to learn of it.
I work with a guy that was Marines in vietnam, he has talked about it some, but I've seen him get to tears when he spoke of it. His best friend from high school, and him joined together. His friend became a sniper, and was killed 28 days before he was supposed to come home.
Happy Birthday to the Marine Corp 11/10/1775

NutterButter Wrote:Happy Birthday to the Marine Corp 11/10/1775

Interesting fact for those don't know. The marine corps was founded in a bar.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:This Friday night is not only the 2nd Round of the Playoffs, but it is also Veterans' Day.

[Image: 220px-Emblem_of_the_United_States_Depart...my.svg.png]

[Image: 220px-Seal_of_the_United_States_Departme...vy.svg.png]

[Image: 220px-Seal_of_the_US_Air_Force.svg.png]

[Image: 220px-Seal_of_the_United_States_Coast_Guard.svg.png]

Confusedalute:

Thank you to all that have served!!!!
Confusedalute:
Veterans' Day, Election Day, The Marine Corp. Birthday & 2nd week of the high school playoffs......

The most American week possible.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I was never in the Military... but my current career is as close to the Military as you can get. I have served on the Honor Guard for staff members who have passed away. Seeing the American Flag folded up and presented to the family members is something that you can't put in to words. Then hearing the Three round volley of Seven shells for a 21 Gun Salute might be the most powerful, moving experience one can have.

[Image: 141002-F-GE514-001.JPG]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsEai_-D9Qf2mebRFW3tn...KmjJQsi7Dg]

[Image: Capture161.jpg]

sadly, I watched this at a graveside service yesterday.