Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tearing down Goal Posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 2006122527.jpg]

[Image: 510068f7117bc.preview-800.jpg]

[Image: nk_KU_Potter_Posts_t1024x1024.jpg?a2f508...b4f7d24478]

Tearing down Goal Posts.... something that rarely happens, but when it does, it is a sight to behold.

I've seen it happen once in person, the 2006 Kentucky vs. Georgia @ CWS. When UK intercepted the Georgia pass with less than a minute to go in the 4th qtr., the stadium went nuts and one Goal Post came down shortly after.

UofL fans have tore down their goal posts at least twice @ PJCS, once vs. # 4Florida State in 2002 during a insane rain storm and the other vs. #3 West Virginia in 2006. For the West Virginia game, new collapsible goal posts were installed so they couldn't be tore down, but the fans beat the field crew to the punch.

Have you ever seen a high school team tear down a Goal Post?
Here's a scenario....

A team is 13-0, going in to the state semi-finals. This is their first ever trip to the semi-finals and they have had all of their playoff games at home.

A state powerhouse team comes to their town and have them down late in the 4th qtr., then the home team recovers a fumble... takes it to the end zone and the home team goes up 2 points with less than a minute to go in the game. The visiting team drives the ball down to set up a field goal attempt, with 3 seconds left, the visiting team lines up for a field goal.... "There's the snap, there's the hold.... THE KICK IS BLOCKED!!!!!" The home team wins and are going to their first ever state championship game.

The fans and students of the home team rush the field.... the players head to the goal post and proceed to tear it down, the students join in and down comes the goal post.

IMO, this would be awesome to be a part of.
If that scenario happened at Coal Miner's Stadium, I wouldn't be in any shape to tear down the goal posts!!!!!
If Raceland beats Paintsville in the playoffs they will tear down Paintsville's goal posts.
I would say that just about every major college now has collapsible goal posts.

I'd love to see a high school team accomplish something new and really special for them, and for the goal posts to come down. The catch, however, would be the money involved with repairing it and everything like that.

It's something special, when it happens, that's for sure. But, it does end up being a pretty big liability for everyone involved. It's still one of the coolest things about football, though. You can't really tear down a basketball goal, or tear down a soccer goal, or really anything involving baseball.
If Caldwell beats Mayfield this week, Dreamkiller is going to tear down both of Mayfield's goal posts then drive over to their practice field and tear those down too.
1997 Lawrence County vs. Breathitt County. The end to the 42 game win streak for the Bobcats. Goal post came down that night in Louisa. Remember it plain as day. Remember the West kid also. What ever happened to that young man?
Not sure on the Back Story other than Pikeville defeating Cumberlands 42-0 in the Region Championship in 1994.
I been working on a goal posts movement here in Corbin and if they can beat belfry by 1pt. Guess who bringing a ladder....64SUR :Cheerlead
Love the enthusiasm, and the ecitment that comes from this. But its dangours and in todays world its a lawsuit waiting to happen. Another thing is who will replace the field goal. I like to see students and fans cerebrating with the players but stay on ground.
A few years ago Boyd Co tore down their goal post when they beat Ashland during the regular season. They met eace other at Putnam a few weeks later with Ashland coming out on top. Needless to say, the goal posts were protected very well that night. It was very interesting.
64SUR Wrote:I been working on a goal posts movement here in Corbin and if they can beat belfry by 1pt. Guess who bringing a ladder....64SUR :Cheerlead

Ladders are expensive... I would probably save the receipt if I were you.
64SUR Wrote:I been working on a goal posts movement here in Corbin and if they can beat belfry by 1pt. Guess who bringing a ladder....64SUR :Cheerlead

Funny story. Back in 02 when Corbin beat Webster County to go to state, Corbin students tried to tear down the goal posts. Faculty and law enforcement stopped it pretty quick though. Couple kids got a ride to jail and the west end zone goal post was a little warped for years.
E's Army Wrote:If Raceland beats Paintsville in the playoffs they will tear down Paintsville's goal posts.

No, theyll look for couchs to burn.