Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Politically Incorrect team names/mascots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Washington Redskins - NFL
The Cleveland Indians - MLB
The Atlanta Braves - MLB
The New Jersey Devils - NHL
The Chicago Blackhawks - NHL
Florida State Seminoles - College

These are the teams with nicknames or mascots who are getting the most attention due to be 'Politically Incorrect' because they could/might offend the Native American population. Some Native tribes have issued statements saying that they have no problem with sports teams like the ones mentioned above. Some TRIBES have said they feel the names/mascots are offensive.

And just incase you didn't know, the State of Oklahoma is a Choctaw phrase meaning "Red people"

So let's hear your opinions on this matter.
I'm sure this will be an enlightened discussion absolutely filled with wisdom.

The mascot issue doesn't bother me, but as a white male, I don't really get a say in the matter of what is or isn't an issue with other people.

I really wouldn't have a problem if they all changed, and if all of the high schools in this state changed from Native American based mascots. Although I doubt there is enough of a population in this area to really impact change on the matter.
Just off of the top of my head....

Southwestern Warriors
Union County Braves
East Ridge Warriors
Madison Central Indians
Political correctness has always been a non issue with me. As a matter of fact, I prefer being non politically correct most of the time.

Same with mascots. I don't perceive it as a negative issue. To me, if you choose to name something you love, i.e. sports mascots, after something; I would consider that a compliment.

Just picture it.......The Atlanta Mamaws.

Confusednicker:
I know several native americans and none of them have ever said anything about it to me..In fact about all of them don't care to be called "Indians" or even stuff like "redskin" by their buddies..Im a 9th generation Floyd countyian, my family has lived in these mountains since the late 1790's. I live in the head of a holler, in a holler.. I don't mind being called a hillbilly. I am what I am. Im pretty thick skinned guy(worked in a lot of prisons over my career) and very non politically correct if that makes a difference.
let us not forget the Allen Central Rebels..they have been in the national news a few times over their mascot. All my young life I was waiting on the US apiarist to drop the boot over the Auxier "Hornets" being insensitive to the bee population..
I never knew what a Martin "Purple Flash" was but I bet their was a little purple dude out there somewhere who was offended..
:thatsfunn:thatsfunn:thatsfunn
Raceland Rams
I despise our level of political correctness. I know you can't just be a putz to everyone, but common sense and manners should be all the political correctness we need.

That said, I've never ever had a negative thought about a mascot. (Maybe the Western Kentucky Hilltopper... what the??? A Blob??). Indians, Redskins, Chiefs, Braves, Seminoles, Utes, Warriors, Redmen, Orangemen, Fighting Irish, Chief Illiniwek (Illinois)whatever. I see it as more as paying tribute to, than taking away from, a group. Nothing more.

Not thrilled with a Blue/Red Devil or Demon Deacon, but that's just me.
You have to just sit around and think up stupid stuff to post...
Eh, I'm cool with all of them but Redskins. It might not offend everyone, but it is a racial slur that whitie came up with for Native Americans. Equal to the N word in my opinion. It emphasizes the skin color of a race of humans.... not cool. It kind of creates a double standard. Cowboys and Warriors can be any race and are less specific and not a slur. Redskins should be changed at every school and the pro team.
Devil stuff is not insensitive to anyone don't understand that being an issue?
Indians doesn't even make sense history wise.
Chiefs existed in Ireland tribes, pacific tribes, etc. so not insensitive. Same with Braves and similar.
When actual tribes from an area give permission to a school to use, for example FSU, also ok because it is their words not some cartoon whitie version.
birdman44 Wrote:Eh, I'm cool with all of them but Redskins. It might not offend everyone, but it is a racial slur that whitie came up with for Native Americans. Equal to the N word in my opinion. It emphasizes the skin color of a race of humans.... not cool. It kind of creates a double standard. Cowboys and Warriors can be any race and are less specific and not a slur. Redskins should be changed at every school and the pro team.
Chiefs existed in Ireland tribes, pacific tribes, etc. so not insensitive. Same with Braves and similar.
When actual tribes from an area give permission to a school to use, for example FSU, also ok because it is their words not some cartoon whitie version.

Not an issue, has nothing to do with the topic. I was just throwing out that personally I don't like those mascots. More on a religious level than anything else. But like I implied, that's a "me" issue, that's all.
birdman44 Wrote:Eh, I'm cool with all of them but Redskins. It might not offend everyone, but it is a racial slur that whitie came up with for Native Americans. Equal to the N word in my opinion. It emphasizes the skin color of a race of humans.... not cool. It kind of creates a double standard. Cowboys and Warriors can be any race and are less specific and not a slur. Redskins should be changed at every school and the pro team.

Does it ever occur to you that "whitie" could be offensive?
Granny Bear Wrote:Does it ever occur to you that "whitie" could be offensive?

Thanks for proving my point. I'm a white guy btw. Whitie was made up by other races.... do you like being called that? It refers to the SKIN COLOR.
Belfry0304 Wrote:You have to just sit around and think up stupid stuff to post...

You must not watch the news or be hip to current events.
The whole racial thing,names and what not is just not easy to explain as fa as if a person should be offended or not.. Ive been in and worked in prisons all over the US. Ive worked with inmates and co workers of every color,ethnicty and religious belief..Right down to card carrying Satanist's.
I worked with a bunch of Apaches out in a Az prison that called each other redskin, chief and injun on a daily basis..Of course I never did but they did constantly.. Hispanics often call each other names that we would find offensive.
Ive been called a whole lot worse than whitie and cracker in my life so it just never bothered me but that's probably because of the job. After a while working behind the fence you just get desensitized from what you see.
I don't use those kinds of words,never did..Though at the same time if a certain Apache wants to call himself an "injun" its certainly not my place to tell him he cant..I figure a person can call himself or his buddie what ever he wants as long as he's ok with it..Its not my place to tell him he should be offended.
If one day he does it and he gets his gourd thumped well then he learned not to call that person that word..hard lessons are often the best learned, they stay with you the longest..
I don't think I proved anything..just asked you a question.
Evidently you have assumed that I am white. Confusednicker:

I don't mind being called white, or black, or red. Guess it's just a personal thing.

I didn't know that other races made up that term. The only time I ever heard it was when Chris Farley shouted it out in a movie several years ago.
Look at my profile pic!People need to suck it up and stop being pusses.Everybody who makes noise over things like this just get off on other people hearing them bitch
Don't love the term redskin because it was at one time used with the same connotation as the N word. It's not any different than calling a team the injuns. It was a racial slur, and a way of saying someone was "less than human". I think it should be thrown out completely. Anything other than that is awesome. The more specific the better. Seminoles, Navajos, Cherokees, Apaches. I view all of these and other tribes the same way that I view Spartans, or Trojans, and other cultural mascots. Those people took great pride in their cultures and I think to name a teams mascot after that is an awesome tribute. I think where a lot of the offensive part comes from illustrations or mascot uniforms that were basically caricatures of what some would say that a Native American would look like. I don't love that because I don't think all native Americans look alike. But that's just my two cents.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Look at my profile pic!People need to suck it up and stop being pusses.Everybody who makes noise over things like this just get off on other people hearing them bitch

You are out of your element man. Being too PC is lame. But you are not on the end of the stick they are on. You have no idea. Saying it is one thing.
But a professional sports team with a mascot called Redskin? Ridiculous. Totally harmless to change it. In fact they would get to sell all new merch and look like good dead doers.

Is a double standard though. Native Americans just aren't as sensitive as other minorities evidently. You think the N word would be a good mascot for a pro sports team in America?
birdman44 Wrote:You are out of your element man. Being too PC is lame. But you are not on the end of the stick they are on. You have no idea. Saying it is one thing.
But a professional sports team with a mascot called Redskin? Ridiculous. Totally harmless to change it. In fact they would get to sell all new merch and look like good dead doers.

Is a double standard though. Native Americans just aren't as sensitive as other minorities evidently. You think the N word would be a good mascot for a pro sports team in America?

I get what your trying to say but this is a bad example.You think they chose Redskins trying to disrespect a tribe?When they chose this mascot I'm sure they was trying to represent Pride, resilience,Strenght,and honor. Not what people are trying to make it out to be.
I think the majority of the Indian nicknames are meant as a compliment. It is meant to show the courage and bravery of those tribes. Nobody gives them self a derogatory nickname. They want to project that they are have the best qualities that those groups pride themselves for.
E's Army Wrote:I think the majority of the Indian nicknames are meant as a compliment. It is meant to show the courage and bravery of those tribes. Nobody gives them self a derogatory nickname. They want to project that they are have the best qualities that those groups pride themselves for.

And if it wasn't politically incorrect back then why is now???Are we just so much smarter now or just bigger cry babies ??
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I get what your trying to say but this is a bad example.You think they chose Redskins trying to disrespect a tribe?When they chose this mascot I'm sure they was trying to represent Pride, resilience,Strenght,and honor. Not what people are trying to make it out to be.

Does it matter what they were trying to do?

The Redskins actually started in Boston, like the Braves. Early on all the Boston teams were Native American based to call back to the Boston Tea Party. Boston Tea Part was where white men dressed up like Native Americans and threw tea in the harbor. So no, it was calling back to an action that would be considered black-face racists now. I think it was patriotic though. ITs RED SKINS, its a racial slur. change it.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:You must not watch the news or be hip to current events.

I try to avoid liberal media, you should too instead of publicizing it.
birdman44 Wrote:Does it matter what they were trying to do?

The Redskins actually started in Boston, like the Braves. Early on all the Boston teams were Native American based to call back to the Boston Tea Party. Boston Tea Part was where white men dressed up like Native Americans and threw tea in the harbor. So no, it was calling back to an action that would be considered black-face racists now. I think it was patriotic though. ITs RED SKINS, its a racial slur. change it.

Why????Because you stomp your foot and so.I say let it be.I don't have a problem with it and my wants are just as important as yours!
Someone tried to get Russell to change its Red Devil name about 35 years ago. I wonder if it would be successful now because of PC.
We use to have the Garrett Black Devils and still have the Mcdowell Dare Devils, for a little while anyway.
What about Belfry Pirates? I'm sure there are people with a wooden leg and an eye patch that are offended.

Pirate Lives Matter
I'm pretty sure that Rams everywhere are mad to
mightydog Wrote:Someone tried to get Russell to change its Red Devil name about 35 years ago. I wonder if it would be successful now because of PC.

When I was there, the principal at the time tried to drum up support for a mascot/nickname change. The "Russell Red Fox" was one of the ideas being kicked around. Needless to say, it never gained any traction and that principal eventually left Russell before the school year was over.
Pages: 1 2 3