Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covington Catholic 63 Highlands 26
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final
Appears Covington Catholic has finally killed the snake that bit them!!

Congratulations.
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
Congrats to Cov Cath
CCH gets the monkey off its back. Birdies 1-7
Bully beatdown
TongueoliceLig Emergency Room Afternoon for the Bluebirds! TongueoliceLig
Birds have fell off the map.
It was funny to see Cov Cath players and fans celebrate like crazy after beating a 1-7 team and probably the worst team in 100+ years of Highlands football. I guess when it has been 10 years since you have beat them, it is a huge win regardless of how bad they are.
Cov Cath had nice size on both lines, good skill players, nice kicking game. They looked weak on pass defense. I see them making noise in the playoffs, but think they struggle w/BG. Highlands on the other had may have trouble next week w/Grant Co.
If Highlands would have done the hurry-up game plan from Scott County game and played Bucher, Johnston, Murry and Posey on Defense this game could have been at least close. Gosney should have been rolling out and focusing on short passes. I have no idea why they don't throw screen passes with the Oline being so down.

Colonels looked strong. At least a lot stronger than the Birds on every facet. Mayer and McGuinnes will be a great combo moving forward this year and next. Eddie has done a great to get them in this position.
Need to sacrifice a bucket of chicken averted...congrats to the blueboys on the win! Dixie Heights and covcath will play for the district championship next Friday in park Hills under the "portable lights!"
birdman44 Wrote:If Highlands would have done the hurry-up game plan from Scott County game and played Bucher, Johnston, Murry and Posey on Defense this game could have been at least close. Gosney should have been rolling out and focusing on short passes. I have no idea why they don't throw screen passes with the Oline being so down.

Colonels looked strong. At least a lot stronger than the Birds on every facet. Mayer and McGuinnes will be a great combo moving forward this year and next. Eddie has done a great to get them in this position.

:Thumbs:
Serious question....

Does the Highlands coaching staff finish the season?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Serious question....

I've heard some rumors, I think that's all hearsay.
BW should get a few more years to get it back on track IMO.
But if things don't change soon the townspeople will get restless.
So they played kids both ways against Scott County? If so that should have started last year. And done every game. And add a few more both way guys if they have them.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Serious question....

You are not serious are you!
HHS fans said a long time ago, last year and this year where going to be bad years. I do not think most thought this bad though. Is coaching part of problem?, Yes. But Dale would not win with the current group of boys! There is just not the athletes there now. The staff will be back next year, and I think the next two years will be the judging time for this coaching staff. That being said, this coaching staff leaves me scratching my head a lot, but the talent is not there either. HHS is bad on D everywhere, Bad on special teams, bad offensive line, bad offensive running backs. Gosney does OK at QB and WR's do a good job.
bo67 Wrote:So they played kids both ways against Scott County? If so that should have started last year. And done every game. And add a few more both way guys if they have them.

No, I meant game plan/pace of Scott County. And then I would also start dudes both ways as well. That's what I would have done. Probably still would have lost. Mayer looked like a D1 prospect.
I'm not saying they win some past games. But going both ways. They would be more competitive.
I heard their sophomore class is good. If they're that good. How many of them play?
sstack Wrote:You are not serious are you!
HHS fans said a long time ago, last year and this year where going to be bad years. I do not think most thought this bad though. Is coaching part of problem?, Yes. But Dale would not win with the current group of boys! There is just not the athletes there now. The staff will be back next year, and I think the next two years will be the judging time for this coaching staff. That being said, this coaching staff leaves me scratching my head a lot, but the talent is not there either. HHS is bad on D everywhere, Bad on special teams, bad offensive line, bad offensive running backs. Gosney does OK at QB and WR's do a good job.

So you're saying that the boys for this team are bad enough to go from contending for a state title every year for the past 20(?) years to now being 1 and 7?

I think that's a pretty big leap.
I agree. Coaching staff stays. But if no improvement after the next 2 years. Action will be taken.
BFritz Wrote:So you're saying that the boys for this team are bad enough to go from contending for a state title every year for the past 20(?) years to now being 1 and 7?

I think that's a pretty big leap.

Like I said, if you have watched them play, the QB is good not great and the WR's are good; after that I see little to no talent on the field. To watch the D try to make tackles is comical it is so bad; the kids are trying their best, just do not have the talent. Running backs get the hand off and stop in the back field and continue to turn their backs to the D like they are afraid to get hit. No kicking game, struggle to even make PAT's. They just are not a good team this year, that is why I hesitate to blame the coaching, I do not see athletes on the field. So yes, I am saying they are that bad, and do not forget they play a tough schedule for a bad team which makes it harder to come by a win. I do think the coaching staff still coaches the way it did when they had good teams and it hurts this team; like in Cov Cath game when they go for it on 4th down, hurry up offense and onside kicks which they now are not able to be successful with and give up short fields to opponents which does not help a struggling D. You are right it is a BIG leap, HHS fans expected a decline, but not this big.
Is it a coincidence that after the practices in death valley died they've been losing the grit? And after the superstars leave and they need the grit its washed out? BW should be calling the D. and an Offensive coordinator should be calling the O with BW supervision. Why do HCs have to call the Offense?? And they need a system of some players playing both ways. They're not trying to beat Elder anymore, they're trying to beat teams that go both ways.
BW was not a good defensive coach under Mueller. When Mueller says. "If they score 40. We will score 50". What's that saying about the defense and BW
Yeah but the talent was spread 70%-30% Offense to Defense at best.
I heard from someone that the defense does not practice tackling live at all, like never. That makes me sad if true, but makes sense if you see their tackling in games.
You heard right. If fact there's very little hitting at all.
Where have all the athletes gone?
Not enough hard conditioning. Not enough hitting (tackling practice) Special teams with mostly non starters. And there's other stuff. That's not the kids. That's coaching
What's the old saying? You play the way you practice.
During the season. Monday-Helmets and sweats. Tuesday and Wednesday game situations almost the whole practice. Scrimmaged our 2nd team on both sides of the ball. It was live. And I mean all out. Thursday walk through in Helmets and sweats. Tuesday's and Wednesday's were physical as hell. And we only had about 40 on the team. Sure you roll the dice getting a starter hurt. But we did it anyway. And 9 guys went both ways.
Pages: 1 2