Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Does your team use Pro/College logos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does your team use a Professional or College logo as their own?

It could be the Letter (the Wisconsin W or the Minnesota M), the same mascot head/side profile on a helmet or the field.

Example.... if your team is The Cardinals, would you buy an Arizona Cardinals or Louisville Cardinals clothing or a hat because the logos are the same as your HS team?

This is the logo listed on the khsaa scoreboard for Wayne County HS.
[Image: 279?height=75&nologo=1]

UofL
[Image: 1cbb5f457e04177d33e1ebf5a349090f.jpg]

It's pretty much the same Cardinal head and it's very easy to find. This is just one example.
Not saying there is anything wrong with it, it's actually smart. More merchandise is easily available most of the equipment companies already have it in stock.
North Laurel HS
[Image: 307?height=75&nologo=1]

Jacksonville Jaguars
[Image: Jacksonville_Jaguars_2013_logo.png]
Change the Green with Purple and this one is the exact same thing.

Rowan County
[Image: 234?height=75&nologo=1]

Minnesota Vikings
[Image: large.png]
Collins
[Image: 334?height=75&nologo=1]

Tennessee Titans
[Image: titans-sword-logo.jpg]
Anderson County uses the University of Arizona 'A'.

Green and Greenup Counties use the Green Bay oval 'G'.
Doesn't Russell use the Arizona State pitchfork?

If I had the same mascot & colors as a college or pro team; I'd do just the same...talk about never having enough gear.
Different color scheme somewhat (black/gold vs black/Carolina blue), but Fleming County uses the Carolina Panthers logo.
I think a better question would be, what schools have a completely original logo? I'd just dare say that most schools have something taken from a college or pro team, or some other logo. But, what teams have their own original stuff? And I'm not going to count someone who has a logo that is just 2 interlocking letters.
Clay County was going to use a certain design and decided not to because Missouri had the same design. They went with a "tiger paw" instead. Is there any kind of copyright issues you are aware of? At least the fans can buy Mizzou merchandise and support the Tigers.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Different color scheme somewhat (black/gold vs black/Carolina blue), but Fleming County uses the Carolina Panthers logo.
Carolina has updated their logo and it is a little different now. Fleming County had to contact them to get permission to use their old logo.
This is a bit dated but here are what some looked like a few years ago

http://www.mghelmets.com/kenucky.html

I personally prefer original or rarely used logos over NFL/College logos, its why I like Belfry's helmets so much, while it may exist outside Belfry I have never seen our helmet sticker on any other team. Others that stick out are Danville, Rockcastle and Tates Creek prior to helmet logo change.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Does your team use a Professional or College logo as their own?

It could be the Letter (the Wisconsin W or the Minnesota M), the same mascot head/side profile on a helmet or the field.

Example.... if your team is The Cardinals, would you buy an Arizona Cardinals or Louisville Cardinals clothing or a hat because the logos are the same as your HS team?

This is the logo listed on the khsaa scoreboard for Wayne County HS.
[Image: 279?height=75&nologo=1]

UofL
[Image: 1cbb5f457e04177d33e1ebf5a349090f.jpg]

It's pretty much the same Cardinal head and it's very easy to find. This is just one example.
Not saying there is anything wrong with it, it's actually smart. More merchandise is easily available most of the equipment companies already have it in stock.

Wayne County Outlook headline for October 5th Edition.

U of L sues Wayne County Football logo use after busted on BGR.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Wayne County Outlook headline for October 5th Edition.

U of L sues Wayne County Football logo use after busted on BGR.

UofL has bigger problems than possible logo usage rights.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:This is a bit dated but here are what some looked like a few years ago

http://www.mghelmets.com/kenucky.html

I personally prefer original or rarely used logos over NFL/College logos, its why I like Belfry's helmets so much, while it may exist outside Belfry I have never seen our helmet sticker on any other team. Others that stick out are Danville, Rockcastle and Tates Creek prior to helmet logo change.

There are quite a lot of really cool helmets in the state. And, then, there's quite a few that really just aren't that good.
Wheatfarmer Wrote:Clay County was going to use a certain design and decided not to because Missouri had the same design. They went with a "tiger paw" instead. Is there any kind of copyright issues you are aware of? At least the fans can buy Mizzou merchandise and support the Tigers.

Raceland uses an "R" that curls like Ram horns at the top. I like it because it is our own logo and has some originality to it.
In terms of originality, a few of my favorites are (in no real particular order):

1) Danville- The state of KY w/ that anchor going through it? One of the most original and recognizable logos out there.

2) Trinity- Their school mottos (crest like), with the T (all be it looks a little mushroomish) and supposed to be (so, I've heard) the hand of God holding it? Powerful and iconic.

3) St. X- That block X w/ a small cross in the intersection of the X? See Trinity.

4) Belfry- Skull and Crossbones...need I say more?

5) PRP- They have "Ridge" in pretty basic script that's underline (think Boyle County's "Rebels" on the side of their helmets). Something bad 'A' about a school that has a three part name (Pleasure Ridge Park), yet they just use one part of it...yet everybody knows what and who that is.

6) Adair County- Adair has the Atlanta Braves' script 'A', but making the 'A' is a small FSU spear going across it. Before it was brought along by the football program 5 or so years ago, the school didn't really have an official logo. All programs seemed to use their own thing...now? Everybody uses it (except for the Band, which uses a Triangle or Greek Alpha symbol...however you want to look at it).

7) Corbin- That oval 'C'? Who doesn't know what that stands for?

8) Bell County- "Cats" in big, cursive script....and, also in the look of the best UK look ever (blue outlined in black)? See Corbin.

9) Boyle County- "Rebels" underlined. All those state championships have obviously helped something so basic become so recognizable. But, those black helmets and gold script just give it a one of kind look. (Same could be said with PRP and "Ridge". Black helmets, "Ridge" in Red.

10) Bowling Green/Male- No logo needed. The "Golden Domer's" of KYHSFB.
Wheatfarmer Wrote:Clay County was going to use a certain design and decided not to because Missouri had the same design. They went with a "tiger paw" instead. Is there any kind of copyright issues you are aware of? At least the fans can buy Mizzou merchandise and support the Tigers.

We've not had a coach long enough to really commit to a logo at CC lately. I absolutely loved when we was rocking the Notre Dame look, that was classy. I'd say Ed will have a good one picked out for next year and hopefully we can stick with it, I also really like the Mizzou stuff mentioned.
I thought schools could be sued for using a college/pro likeness? I know Kentucky used to threaten schools for using a logo similar to theres?
Motley Wrote:I thought schools could be sued for using a college/pro likeness? I know Kentucky used to threaten schools for using a logo similar to theres?

You can be. Fleming County had to get written permission from the Panthers before the principal at the time would let them use the Carolina Panther logo.
Boyle County used the Ravens "B" logo as a secondary logo for a period of time.
[Image: imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sports-lo...mrc&uact=8]
Looks like Floyd central copied Jacksonville's colors and mascots..They had a chance at a cool mascot, almost no one gets that chance..and they blew it:why:
Blacksmith Wrote:Looks like Floyd central copied Jacksonville's colors and mascots..They had a chance at a cool mascot, almost no one gets that chance..and they blew it:why:

Totally agree.

Two WKY schools in the last 10 years or so had that same chance. Both went with "Mustangs". Muhlenberg County and McCracken County.

Here Muhlenberg County is in the heart of the WKY Coal Fields. "Miners", right? Nah.

McCracken County sits right along the Ohio River. Why not the "Mud Cats"? Or "Matadors"? "Generals", "Captains" (county was named after a Civil War Captain McCracken). Something cool and original. Nope...let's follow suit in the Mustang train.
I like the original ones myself.
Trinity Belfry and Cov Cath's old Colonel comet are the most original I can think of. I can't believe Cov Cath ditched that. Ryle is pretty cool/original too, both old and new.

Obviously I'm a big fan of the 'Birds Helmet/logo, its a clean simple old school uniform. Coach Duffy in the 80s made the switch from a wing style helmet to the block H and 2 stripes. It was kind of a knockoff of Kentucky at that time.

-SK is also a knock off of a old UK logo. I liked the old SK reverse Penn State look 20 years ago way better. blank blue helmet with one white stripe, sharp.

Lloyd used to be exactly like the Steelers only Navy and Gold. Anyone remember that?
Livingston County Cardinals were ask to adjust or rethink their use of the same Cardinal U of L uses. That was fairly recent, maybe 3 years ago. There was a article about it in the Paducah Sun. Mayfield, also Cardinals and of similar Cardinal design still uses the same Cardinal design as does Wayne County
Motley Wrote:I thought schools could be sued for using a college/pro likeness? I know Kentucky used to threaten schools for using a logo similar to theres?

There have been numerous times in America where schools have been sued for using a certain logo. When I was in college, I did a project in a business class on this subject. And, the most common logo that was sued over, was a private company. Dodge has brought legal action against numerous "Ram" schools. Quite a few colleges have just given up trying to enforce it, but they always end up looking like a jerk.

It's a pretty interesting topic once you get into all of it. Because everybody knows it's going on, everybody knows who does it, everybody knows how to stop it, and almost no one considers it a problem.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:There have been numerous times in America where schools have been sued for using a certain logo. When I was in college, I did a project in a business class on this subject. And, the most common logo that was sued over, was a private company. Dodge has brought legal action against numerous "Ram" schools. Quite a few colleges have just given up trying to enforce it, but they always end up looking like a jerk.

It's a pretty interesting topic once you get into all of it. Because everybody knows it's going on, everybody knows who does it, everybody knows how to stop it, and almost no one considers it a problem.

A few years, I remember Wayne County West Virginia getting in some Hot Water for using the Wisconsin W.

[Image: WisconsinBadgersPlayerAppearances.gif?format=300w]
Pulp Fiction Wrote:A few years, I remember Wayne County West Virginia getting in some Hot Water of using the Wisconsin W.

[Image: WisconsinBadgersPlayerAppearances.gif?format=300w]

Interesting.

Westmoreland HS (TN) still uses this.
Does Michigan own the Rights to their helmet design?

[Image: 4039.JPG]
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Totally agree.

Two WKY schools in the last 10 years or so had that same chance. Both went with "Mustangs". Muhlenberg County and McCracken County.

Here Muhlenberg County is in the heart of the WKY Coal Fields. "Miners", right? Nah.

McCracken County sits right along the Ohio River. Why not the "Mud Cats"? Or "Matadors"? "Generals", "Captains" (county was named after a Civil War Captain McCracken). Something cool and original. Nope...let's follow suit in the Mustang train.

It broke my heart..East,Ky has always had some cool mascots in the past..This was their chance to make a statement, but no.... What do they do?? Cope out and pick another damn "cat" really?:dudecomeon: