Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Smoking Ban Goes Into Effect...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Smoking or non-smoking, those are words people in one eastern Kentucky town won't hear anymore when they go out to dinner.

It's a sign that smokers in Paintsville are getting used to. But on the first day of a smoking ban in local restaurants, managers say the former smoking section is already full of Non smokers.

"We have more opportunity to seat people, whereas before we had people waiting on Sunday for nonsmoking, now we have 55 to 60 more seats," Vickie Collins, Bob Evans Manager, said.

All traces of the old smoking section have been washed away.

Collins says she had all carpeting, seat cushions, curtains, and even the ceilings thoroughly cleaned.

"To make sure that any of our nonsmoking clients that would sit there could be smoke free and wouldn't smell anything,"

Health department officials spent the day handing out signs and balloons to remind everyone about the ban.

Connie Meeks says that before the ban, it didn't matter if you were a smoker or not, or where you sat.

"There is no such thing as a nonsmoking or smoking section. smoke knows no boundaries," Connie Meek said.

The ban even has some local employees thinking twice about lighting up.

"For smokers it's bad, but for people who don't it's the best, cause we have a lot of kids that come in here, and a lot of people do smoker in there, so it's pretty rough on the kids," Eli Cline said.

Officials at the Johnson County Health Department say they offer services to help you quit smoking and it costs five dollars.

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/5433151.html
That is awesome. I wish that people had to smoke in the privacy of their own homes or vehicles.
I guess thats a good thing. I kinda feel bad for smokers. But I don't smoke and I'll like it a lot better.
I agree...Not my problem to worry aboutSmile!
I wish EKU would do like a campus wide smoking ban to where to can't smoke on campus at all unless it's in a specified smoking section at the dorms. It kills me when I'm walking to class and have to hold my breath to keep from inhaling second-hand smoke from the people around me.
You can't smoke within so many feet of a building on campus... I heard they were going to vote on a smoking ban for the city of Richmond but I never heard what the result was
Thats good news to hear, I cannot stand the smell of smoke, it gives me headaches everytime I smell it for a long period of time.
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:You can't smoke within so many feet of a building on campus... I heard they were going to vote on a smoking ban for the city of Richmond but I never heard what the result was

It's suppose to be 25 feet from the entrance to a building. I know I suck at math but I really don't think standing right beside the door is 25 feet. Plus every building on campus is close enough to one another for them not to. I think smoking is nasty and I hope they do ban smoking in Richmond...I'd be happy as hell.
I smoke, and hate it...wish I had the will power to quit.
but what makes it so hard, is that with a good cup 'o joe...a smoke seems right!
I hate the smell, hate the costs, but am adicted. I can live with the smoking ban though.
Damn....I just read this and thought it was stupid sounding!
Where this is a will there is a way Guru. Good luck with it.
I agree with this decision. I cannot wait till it goes into affect in Prestonsburg.
It has been into effect in Letcher County for almost a year and is so nice to go pay for gas and not come out smelling like a big CIG!
I hope they pass the statewide smoking ban
That would be great but I don't see it happening, I think they will leave it up to the individual counties and city's.
I agree with it too! I think its wonderful!! I smoked for YEARS as do my parents so I understand that it will be hard for smokers, BUT its also not right for non smokers and children and people with allergies, illnesses ect not to be able to go anywhere without being exposed! I dont think anyone should be able to tell us not to smoke but if I want to smoke I need to do it where it cant affect others. My daughter goes in a gas station/store every morning for a drink for school, shes not in there for 3 minutes and she STINKS sooooo bad like a cigerette when she gets back in the car.
I'm glad to see this i hate smokers and smoking places.........