Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Football before Consolidation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There are probably more Consolidated schools now than there are original, stand-alone schools in the Commonwealth.

In Floyd County, Two schools formed from Consolidation (South Floyd & Allen Central) are consolidating to form one school (Floyd Central) next year.

So for you history buffs.... did any of the schools that have closed due to consolidation have a high school football team before their current alignment?

For the record, I hate Consolidation!!!!!
Johnson Central was formed in 1968 from Flat Gap, Oil Springs, Meade Memorial & Van Lear High schools.

JC's first varsity football season was in 1970.

I don't think any of the four schools had a varsity football team.... could be wrong, but I don't think they did.
These may not be 100% correct.
East Ridge - Millard (No Football), Feds Creek (No Football) and Elkhorn City (Yes Football)
Pike Central - Mullins (No Football), Johns Creek (Yes Football)
Shelby Valley - Dorton (No Football) Virgie (Yes Football)
Floyd Central - South Floyd - McDowell (No Football) Wheelwright (Yes Football)
Floyd Central - Allen Central - Martin (No Football), Wayland (No Football), Garrett (No Football), Maytown (No Football)
PHS Coach Wrote:These may not be 100% correct.
East Ridge - Millard (No Football), Feds Creek (No Football) and Elkhorn City (Yes Football)
Pike Central - Mullins (No Football), Johns Creek (Yes Football)
Shelby Valley - Dorton (No Football) Virgie (Yes Football)
Floyd Central - South Floyd - McDowell (No Football) Wheelwright (Yes Football)
Floyd Central - Allen Central - Martin (No Football), Wayland (No Football), Garrett (No Football), Maytown (No Football)
Mullins did have football. A couple years there they were pretty decent.
Here is a list (that is not complete) of schools who are products of consolidations that currently have a football program. I know I missed some teams, feel free to add to this list. And yes, I know if we trace back far enough almost every high school in the state was formed from some type of a consolidation. But for me, I would like to see what high schools have been playing football the longest, either as a stand-alone or consolidated.

Letcher County Central
Perry County Central
Johnson Central
Harlan County
McCreary Central
Pike County Central
Shelby Valley
East Ridge
South Floyd & Allen Central - Floyd Central
Bullitt Central
Hopkins County Central
Knott County Central
Knox Central
Todd County Central
Sheldon Clark
Lawrence County
I don't think there was football in Pulaski County School System until Nancy, Burnside, Eubank, Shopville, White Lily and a couple others consolidated into Pulaski County High School in the mid 70's. The only game in town back then was Somerset High School.
Another aspect of this (that I just thought of) is when a school splits.

EX.
Laurel County - North Laurel & South Laurel

Is your high school the product of a split, if so, did they have football before and after the split?
When you consolidate, you're not cool if you don't put "central" at the end.
If you look now mostly city schools have held on. Middlesboro, Pineville, Williamsburg, Jenkins, Harlan list goes on. What is surprising is the small schools that have held on that are County , such as Lynn Camp.
NextGeneration Wrote:If you look now mostly city schools have held on. Middlesboro, Pineville, Williamsburg, Jenkins, Harlan list goes on. What is surprising is the small schools that have held on that are County , such as Lynn Camp.

Add Paintsville and Buckhorn to that list....
McCracken County used to be:
Lone Oak 4a football
Heath 2a football
Riedland 2a football
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Another aspect of this (that I just thought of) is when a school splits.

EX.

Is your high school the product of a split, if so, did they have football before and after the split?

Southwestern split from Pulaski County in 1993. Pulaski had football before the split. I think Pulaski started playing football around 1980. I can't remember if Southwestern started playing football right away or if it took them a year or two to start playing.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Another aspect of this (that I just thought of) is when a school splits.

EX.

Actually before the split to form North and South Laurel it was just Laurel County Senior Hight School. But before there was Laurel County there was four high schools that formed Laurel County. They all had football team also. Bush, Hazel green,Lily and London high schools. The first year for Laurel County was 1970. During the early 80s Laura County was the largest school in the state at the time for enrollment.
Brodhead high, mt Vernon high, Livingston High consolidated into Rockcastle County
RoShamBo Wrote:Southwestern split from Pulaski County in 1993. Pulaski had football before the split. I think Pulaski started playing football around 1980. I can't remember if Southwestern started playing football right away or if it took them a year or two to start playing.

Pulaski started football in 81. Somerset was king in those days. I always knew that numbers would eventually catch up, but it did take awhile. Southwestern did field a team their first year. Can you imagine if Pulaski would never have split? Football would still be tough, due to playing 6A, and that's Trinity's playground, but basketball would be really good. I don't think Pulaski has ever been the same in hoops since the split.
Greenup High, Wurtland High, and McKell High all had football teams before consolidating into Greenup County High School in 1973. Don Gullett, eventual pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds, set the state record for total points in one game with 72 (11 tds, 6 pats) for the McKell Bulldogs in 1968. The record still stands today.

EX.

panther nation Wrote:Actually before the split to form North and South Laurel it was just Laurel County Senior Hight School. But before there was Laurel County there was four high schools that formed Laurel County. They all had football team also. Bush, Hazel green,Lily and London high schools. The first year for Laurel County was 1970. During the early 80s Laura County was the largest school in the state at the time for enrollment.

I should have noted this... I knew Laurel County was a High school.

I was making the point that Laurel County HS split in to South Laurel & North Laurel.
Does anyone think there will be anymore schools consolidating in the future ?
Graves Co. was:

Symsonia, Lowes, Wingo, Farmington, Sedalia, Fancy Farm, and Cuba

There was also, Pilot Oak, Lynnville, and a few others I can't recall
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Add Paintsville and Buckhorn to that list....

Buckhorn is a county school in Perry. I don't think they ever had football either.
BobcatForever Wrote:Does anyone think there will be anymore schools consolidating in the future ?

Not many counties left with more than one county school. The only thing left most places are independent districts that are getting really small.
Another twist to this discussion, are there any schools that closed that have won a state championship in football?
I know that Heath has.
Plenty have. Lynch, Elkhorn City, come to mind.
mysonis55 Wrote:McCracken County used to be:
Lone Oak 4a football
Heath 2a football
Riedland 2a football

Crazy lone oak was playing for a state championship not long ado
Mercer Co. Cant remember if Harrodsburg won any state titles or not.
NextGeneration Wrote:Plenty have. Lynch, Elkhorn City, come to mind.

Plenty have... what?
truebluefan89 Wrote:Another twist to this discussion, are there any schools that closed that have won a state championship in football?
I know that Heath has.

Elkhorn City - 1964 (1A)
Heath - 1986 (1A)
Henderson - 1959 (2A)
Mount Sterling - 1969 (1A)
Versailles - 1962 (1A)
Thomas Jefferson - 1971 (3A) **Tie**
Flaget - 1961, 1967, 1971 **Tie** (3A)
Lynch East Main - 1959, 1960, 1963, 1968 (1A)
McCreary Central was formed about 1980. Pine Knot High and McCreary High, neither had Football. Football stared 1987 on Varsity Level.
Did the Hellier HellCats have a football team???

Yes, that was a real school in Pike County and that was their real mascot.
In the Jackson Purchase, Tilghman, Mayfield , Murray and Fulton City were the only football playing schools at one time. Lone Oak, Reidland and Heath finally started programs. Next came consolidations of small schools and Ballard Memorial, Marshall County, Calloway County Graves County and Fulton county all formed football teams. Finally Lone Oak, Heath, and Reidland formed McCracken county. Hickman County , Carlisle County, St. Mary, Community Christian, Christian Fellowship do not play football.
Pages: 1 2