Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: St X 45 Highlands 18
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
But Highlands won the 2nd half according to Ft Thomas press release.
I never thought I would say this....

Congrats to St. Xavier.
I have nothing against Highlands' fans or players, but I wish that Dale Mueller had stayed around long enough to experience the beat downs that the team is getting this season. The problem with payback is that the coaches responsible for running up the score in lopsided games are usually gone before a team's fortunes head south. Dale Mueller deserves tasting humiliating defeat but he is nowhere to be found. It is a shame that Highlands' current players and coaches will be receiving payback for Mueller's lack of class.
When I saw the 2012 freshmen team and 7th and 8th graders. I knew. So did Mueller.
If the birds get beat by Cov Cath in the regular season there is a good chance at a sub 500 record.
It could happen. Cov Cath just has to BELIEVE they can beat Highlands. I've talked to past Cov Cath kids about that issue. It's mental.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have nothing against Highlands' fans or players, but I wish that Dale Mueller had stayed around long enough to experience the beat downs that the team is getting this season. The problem with payback is that the coaches responsible for running up the score in lopsided games are usually gone before a team's fortunes head south. Dale Mueller deserves tasting humiliating defeat but he is nowhere to be found. It is a shame that Highlands' current players and coaches will be receiving payback for Mueller's lack of class.

I don't understand this kind of thinking.Highlands kids practice just has hard as their opponents for "all them years" and just because they we're better then most you wanted them to tell there kids to go half speed or that the starters was just gonna get to play a quarter to make the score closer???This is varsity football.If I'm a coach my starters are playing 3 quarters no matter what!If you don't want 60 points put on you stop them.If you can't get better!!!
Congrats to X
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I don't understand this kind of thinking.Highlands kids practice just has hard as their opponents for "all them years" and just because they we're better then most you wanted them to tell there kids to go half speed or that the starters was just gonna get to play a quarter to make the score closer???This is varsity football.If I'm a coach my starters are playing 3 quarters no matter what!If you don't want 60 points put on you stop them.If you can't get better!!!
You might understand this kind of thinking if your team was on the receiving end of a 67-20 loss in which the opponent's All State QB was still in the game late in the 4th Quarter of a playoff game and still throwing deep against your team's inexperienced secondary. I never said, nor did I imply that Mueller should have played starters a quarter to keep the score close.

I agree that if a team cannot stop the other team's reserves in a lopsided game after the game's outcome has been decided, then that is on the opponent's defense. Patrick Towles was a senior and he was certainly not a reserve.
My coach at Highlands 100 years ago was approached after a game by a coach. He just tried to ignore him. But he kept it up. So my coach turned around and said. I suggest you get a better football team. We can't stop our 2nd team wanting to score. They want to play too. They are doing what they are coached to do. Play defense and score points.
Where has the endless supply of athletes for Highlands gone
bo67 Wrote:My coach at Highlands 100 years ago was approached after a game by a coach. He just tried to ignore him. But he kept it up. So my coach turned around and said. I suggest you get a better football team. We can't stop our 2nd team wanting to score. They want to play too. They are doing what they are coached to do. Play defense and score points.
You keep talking about the second team and you keep ignoring the fact that the second team offense barely touched the field in the 67-20 blowout in which Patrick Towles was left on the field to chase a passing record. Many Highlands fans insist that Mueller running up the score was always the result of teams not being able to stop the Bluebirds second and third team offense, but that was certainly not always the case.

That's OK. By the end of next season, some Highlands fans will have a better appreciation for the ill will that Dale Mueller instilled in many of his opponents. Not every team is going to take their foot off of the accelerator the way that St. X did.
Stop, they did not... ? That's worse than a Clinton political spin.
bo67 Wrote:But Highlands won the 2nd half according to Ft Thomas press release.

My post was refering to this... Hit the wrong button.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You might understand this kind of thinking if your team was on the receiving end of a 67-20 loss in which the opponent's All State QB was still in the game late in the 4th Quarter of a playoff game and still throwing deep against your team's inexperienced secondary. I never said, nor did I imply that Mueller should have played starters a quarter to keep the score close.

I agree that if a team cannot stop the other team's reserves in a lopsided game after the game's outcome has been decided, then that is on the opponent's defense. Patrick Towles was a senior and he was certainly not a reserve.

My team has been on the wrong side of this many times.You don't cry about it you get better!You said it was in the playoffs which makes even more sense that Towels was in the game that late.Its playoff time and you want your starters playing all four quarters this late in the season. Highlands is trying to do nothing but get better and win another state championship and put a trophy in their trophy case. This is how programs like Highlands get to where their at. Look...if your boss comes to you and says that the person in the cubicle beside you is uncomfortable because your achievements and he want you to slow down and stop working so hard and take a chance on you not getting your bonus do you stop working so hard to accommodate that person ??? HELL NO YOU GET YOUR BONUS!!!When a team gets beat down the kids usually say....man we got our butts kicked and they move on.Its the parents that have the problem letting go!
RAMDAD50 Wrote:My team has been on the wrong side of this many times.You don't cry about it you get better!You said it was in the playoffs which makes even more sense that Towels was in the game that late.Its playoff time and you want your starters playing all four quarters this late in the season. Highlands is trying to do nothing but get better and win another state championship and put a trophy in their trophy case. This is how programs like Highlands get to where their at. Look...if your boss comes to you and says that the person in the cubicle beside you is uncomfortable because your achievements and he want you to slow down and stop working so hard and take a chance on you not getting your bonus do you stop working so hard to accommodate that person ??? HELL NO YOU GET YOUR BONUS!!!When a team gets beat down the kids usually say....man we got our butts kicked and they move on.Its the parents that have the problem letting go!
I'm sorry. You are absolutely right. Championship caliber teams always leave their key starters in the game, despite having 40-point leads in the fourth quarter. They never worry about losing key players to injuries by playing them well after games have been decided. What was I thinking?Confusednicker:

Most great programs do not run the scores up on opponents. Belfry is a great example. Yes, they beat most of their opponents like a rented mule, but they do most of their scoring in blowout games by the middle of the third quarter, as they empty their bench after the coach knows that the game is out of reach. When a team is up by 40 points in the fourth quarter, there is nothing left to prove. It is time for the second unit to mop up, build for the future, and avoid risking season ending injuries to key players by resting them for more meaningful minutes. That is what great coaches do at every level in every sport.