Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: BGR Class 1A Rankings 9/12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
1 Paintsville
2 Russellville
3 Beechwood
4 Pikeville
5 Raceland
6 Hazard
7 Nicholas Co
8 KCD
8 Williamsburg
10 Holy Cross

What's your thoughts?
Looks about right to me. Each of the top 6 can be argued, that they should be higher or lower. But thats been the case sonce week 0. No one is seperating themselves from the pack, imo. That could possibly happen once district play rolls around.
Probably the most wide open class other than 4a out there. No one really wants to step into the lead.
My only problem with this is.....if Raceland beats Paintsville are they automatically number one??????
No way one loss Pikevelle should be above Raceland .. living on last year long enough
anotherfootballnut Wrote:No way one loss Pikevelle should be above Raceland .. living on last year long enough

Agreed Sir.
IF If if, and, & buts were candy & nuts we would have a marry Christmas!:trolldad2:
bac2369 Wrote:1 Paintsville
2 Russellville
3 Beechwood
4 Pikeville
5 Raceland
6 Hazard
7 Nicholas Co
8 KCD
8 Williamsburg
10 Holy Cross

What's your thoughts?

I'm glad to see that Williamsburg made the top 10. I didn't even realize they had made the comeback to beat Frankfort. They were already playing tough, and that will build their confidence for upcoming district play.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:My only problem with this is.....if Raceland beats Paintsville are they automatically number one??????

They should be. if.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:No way one loss Pikevelle should be above Raceland .. living on last year long enough
Think it's more a perception of quality of schedule. Pikeville has only lost to #1 Paintsville, and overall opponent record is 10-5 while Raceland opponent record is 6-7 with their best win coming over Greenup. So I think that factors in, most likely.
I agree with this but Raceland plays two class A schools on their schedule and that because they have to (District) Paintsville goes out and looks for them!!!!

What I was saying about Raceland beating Paintsville is that it wouldn't justify jumping over three schools just because of the win.What was Paintsville ranked when they beat Pikeville??? Seems to be no method to your guy's madness!
Kentucky is the only place a 0-10 team makes the playoffs and a 1-3 team is in the top ten
WOW!!
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I agree with this but Raceland plays two class A schools on their schedule and that because they have to (District) Paintsville goes out and looks for them!!!!

What I was saying about Raceland beating Paintsville is that it wouldn't justify jumping over three schools just because of the win.What was Paintsville ranked when they beat Pikeville??? Seems to be no method to your guy's madness!

I agree . If they are saying Raceland is 5 how in the world do you jump 1-4 by beating a team that's perceived to be # 1 by a very mountain biased group . I don't think that should happen
BigMelon63 Wrote:IF If if, and, & buts were candy & nuts we would have a marry Christmas!:trolldad2:

Not sure about you but I'll have a MERRY CHRISTMAS . Marry can do whatever she wants
PHSForever Wrote:Think it's more a perception of quality of schedule. Pikeville has only lost to #1 Paintsville, and overall opponent record is 10-5 while Raceland opponent record is 6-7 with their best win coming over Greenup. So I think that factors in, most likely.
I would agree with that if Raceland was playing 1A teams .. They have beat a good 3A west Carter at west Carter .. 4a Ashland at Ashland who just beat Russell , 4a east Carter who is terrible and 4 A Greenup at Greenup who has a very good defense . Just don't see how someone can vote for a one loss team over that
Just hillbillying up my spelling a bit.Confusednicker:
Is this the weakest Class 1A has been during the 6-Class System?

I see six "good" teams at the Top... but even Russellville, Beechwood, and Paintsville I would not quantify as being on the same level as last year's Pikeville/Beechwood teams or the Mayfield/Williamsburg teams from 2014

Just as a comparison if you match them up to the Top 10 counterparts in 2A:
1 Paintsville vs. 1. Mayfield
2 Russellville vs. 2. CAL
3 Beechwood vs. 3. DeSales
4 Pikeville vs. 4. LCA
5 Raceland vs. 5. Danville
6 Hazard vs. 6.OCath
7 Nicholas Co vs. 7. Glasgow
8 KCD vs. 8. NewCath
8 Williamsburg vs. 9.Leslie County
10 Holy Cross vs. 10. Lloyd Memorial

2A goes 9-1 or 10-0 and I dont think many of them are even close games...
anotherfootballnut Wrote:I would agree with that if Raceland was playing 1A teams .. They have beat a good 3A west Carter at west Carter .. 4a Ashland at Ashland who just beat Russell , 4a east Carter who is terrible and 4 A Greenup at Greenup who has a very good defense . Just don't see how someone can vote for a one loss team over that
Pikeville has played (and beat) 2A Prestonsburg (starting to hit their stride a little. Stronger than they appeared to be at beginning of season), 5A Letcher Central (not a BAD team, I would put them probably about equal to Ashland based on their D, their O needs serious work, but so does Ashlands if they can only must 8 points vs Russell), lost to Paintsville (1A) and win over Fairview (1A) whom we picked up after Phelps dropped out of district play and was looking stronger before their rash of injuries. All things being equal, the schedule strengths are about the same, except Pikeville has played Paintsville, the current #1. If Raceland plays Paintsville and beats them, while I don't know if they move to #1 overall, but I would definitely move them ahead of my Panthers based on head to head at this point.

My point is, the defending champs (in almost ANY poll, not just on here) will get the benefit of the doubt from other voters until and unless there are head to head comparisons to use.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Is this the weakest Class 1A has been during the 6-Class System?

I see six "good" teams at the Top... but even Russellville, Beechwood, and Paintsville I would not quantify as being on the same level as last year's Pikeville/Beechwood teams or the Mayfield/Williamsburg teams from 2014

Just as a comparison if you match them up to the Top 10 counterparts in 2A:
1 Paintsville vs. 1. Mayfield
2 Russellville vs. 2. CAL
3 Beechwood vs. 3. DeSales
4 Pikeville vs. 4. LCA
5 Raceland vs. 5. Danville
6 Hazard vs. 6.OCath
7 Nicholas Co vs. 7. Glasgow
8 KCD vs. 8. NewCath
8 Williamsburg vs. 9.Leslie County
10 Holy Cross vs. 10. Lloyd Memorial

2A goes 9-1 or 10-0 and I dont think many of them are even close games...

If there is one class that benefited from the 6 class system it would be 1A. Several of the teams on the 2A list were 1A teams in the 4 class system and those teams were winning 1A most years. If we were still in that old system I do not believe most of the current top teams, especially in the east would be top teams.

Just to illustrate my point, in the old system Raceland never made it past the second round of the playoffs. Paintsville also made it to the semifinals in 2001 but got blew out by over 50 points in that game against NCC who was the state runner up that year. This is not to say that these teams wouldn't make it deep if that were the system now but it would be much more difficult than it is now.
PHSForever Wrote:Pikeville has played (and beat) 2A Prestonsburg (starting to hit their stride a little. Stronger than they appeared to be at beginning of season), 5A Letcher Central (not a BAD team, I would put them probably about equal to Ashland based on their D, their O needs serious work, but so does Ashlands if they can only must 8 points vs Russell), lost to Paintsville (1A) and win over Fairview (1A) whom we picked up after Phelps dropped out of district play and was looking stronger before their rash of injuries. All things being equal, the schedule strengths are about the same, except Pikeville has played Paintsville, the current #1. If Raceland plays Paintsville and beats them, while I don't know if they move to #1 overall, but I would definitely move them ahead of my Panthers based on head to head at this point.

My point is, the defending champs (in almost ANY poll, not just on here) will get the benefit of the doubt from other voters until and unless there are head to head comparisons to use.

These polls are really just for the fans and are meaningless on any other sense. Polls have no bearing on playoff seeding or championships. These things will sort themselves out on the field and arguing about it is pointless.
I don't want you guys to think I'm some dumb fan that just wants his team at the #1 spot cause I don't.This poll means nothing.But who,among the voters has seen Russellville play????And how does a 1-3 team get in the top ten?And if you say strength of schedule then after this weeks lose to Paintsville and Pikevilles lose to Belfry then Williamsburg should move up in the polls at 1-4.Im starting to agree with Nutt.....got to be a mountain team to get any credit in this poll and me and Nutt hardly ever agree!
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I don't want you guys to think I'm some dumb fan that just wants his team at the #1 spot cause I don't.This poll means nothing.But who,among the voters has seen Russellville play????And how does a 1-3 team get in the top ten?And if you say strength of schedule then after this weeks lose to Paintsville and Pikevilles lose to Belfry then Williamsburg should move up in the polls at 1-4.Im starting to agree with Nutt.....got to be a mountain team to get any credit in this poll and me and Nutt hardly ever agree!

In their defense, tell me which team you would take in each of these matchups:

Allen Central vs. Newport Central Catholic
Muhlenberg County vs. Lexington Catholic
Casey County vs. Highlands

Those are all undefeated teams vs.schools that are 1-3

All three cases I think the 1-3 team puts a running clock on the undefeated team.
BigMelon63 Wrote:Just hillbillying up my spelling a bit.Confusednicker:

Lol nothing wrong with that
PHSForever Wrote:Pikeville has played (and beat) 2A Prestonsburg (starting to hit their stride a little. Stronger than they appeared to be at beginning of season), 5A Letcher Central (not a BAD team, I would put them probably about equal to Ashland based on their D, their O needs serious work, but so does Ashlands if they can only must 8 points vs Russell), lost to Paintsville (1A) and win over Fairview (1A) whom we picked up after Phelps dropped out of district play and was looking stronger before their rash of injuries. All things being equal, the schedule strengths are about the same, except Pikeville has played Paintsville, the current #1. If Raceland plays Paintsville and beats them, while I don't know if they move to #1 overall, but I would definitely move them ahead of my Panthers based on head to head at this point.

Lol so if Riceland beats the current # 1 you would move them above Pikevelle hahaha.. Listen I have zero problem with them being number one preseason as a matter of fact I think they should've been but the way they got beat by Paintsville they proved they are no where near # 1 . It's 2016 not 2015 it's time to judge the teams for what they've done this year not last
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Lol so if Riceland beats the current # 1 you would move them above Pikevelle hahaha.. Listen I have zero problem with them being number one preseason as a matter of fact I think they should've been but the way they got beat by Paintsville they proved they are no where near # 1 . It's 2016 not 2015 it's time to judge the teams for what they've done this year not last

Hey footballnut I did vote Raceland at the 4th spot. :truestory:and Pikeville 5th if that helps and bumped hazard to 6th.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Lol so if Riceland beats the current # 1 you would move them above Pikevelle hahaha.. Listen I have zero problem with them being number one preseason as a matter of fact I think they should've been but the way they got beat by Paintsville they proved they are no where near # 1 . It's 2016 not 2015 it's time to judge the teams for what they've done this year not last
Didn't I just say that? I clearly said if Raceland beat Paintsvillr I would move them above my Panthers. And since you clearly have a reading comprehension problem, refer to my previous post as to why I AND MAYBE OTHERS are voting Pikeville ahead of Raceland. Like I said, defending state champs will almost always get the benefit of the doubt. Only way voters won't give them that benefit is if they are just DRAMATICALLY WORSE and in no way deserving of the top spot. I didn't say it was right, I didn't say it was wrong, I just said that's likely why. Maybe if Raceland didn't choke every time they're supposed to be good, they'd get more benefit of the doubt? Maybe people would then be willing to accept a team not having a good week. For what it's worth, I immediately dropped Pikeville out of #1 in my vote when we lost to Paintsville.

Judging 2016 Raceland, all I see is a win over a very down Ashland, a win over an ok Greenup County and that's about it.

Serious question here. If Raceland had lost to Greenup County, would you be agreeable to them dropping, or argue Greenup was tough and they shouldn't drop?
Bottom line if Pikeville scores just 2pts against Belfry I will bump Raceland back to 5th Confusednicker:
Go ahead and bump us back in front then, 64sure. Lol
If Holy Cross is the # 10 team in 1A, then it's pretty weak. We put 54 on them, with a brand new QB, and a running clock, and our JV team playing the fourth quarter.
PHSForever Wrote:Go ahead and bump us back in front then, 64sure. Lol

2nd half points don't count just 1st half :thatsfunn
Pages: 1 2 3 4