Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands @ Ryle 09/09/16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thoughts and Predictions :pondering:

Ryle 3-0
Highlands 1-2
This one is going to be a tough one to pick. Good luck Ryle Qb Tanner Morgan proud to see you playing in 6A :Cheerlead

Ryle 42
Highlands 28
Highlands win this 31-20
Ryle by 7
Well we know Ryle will score in the 40s. See if Highlands can match it.
Bragging rights boys tell us something up north. Confusednicker:
Ryle.....
Big boys being quite in northern,Kentucky :trolldad2:
I picked Ryle but, for some strange reason, I keep feeling an upset.
Highlands played a pretty good game with Scott Co. let's see if it carries over to this week
Ryle lost a key player to a season ending injury. Ryle should win but I don't see a blow out.
Rule has proven to be very tough this year. Highlands seems to be having a tough year but I believe highlands starts getting back on track this week. Highlands by 7.
I saw Ryle play Henry Clay a few weeks ago, and to me they seem to play slow and couldn't match well with speed. If FT Highlands has some sort of speed, they might give Ryle a good game. 28-21 RHS
Ryle 37 Highlands 21
Heard Cov Cath's passing game had success against Ryle, HHS had some very big passing plays against Scott Co and could see the same against Ryle. HHS running game is looking better too. HHS will score on Ryle, the question is can they outscore Ryle, HHS D if very poor but if they can manage a stop or two and maybe get a turnover, then I can see HHS pulling the upset. This is still not the Highlands of last decade, but playing better than last year at this time.

Highlands has to improve the kicking game too! This team can not afford missed PAT's or giving opponents short field position on bad coverage.

With Highlands D playing the way they are, just not a lot of room for errors if they are going to win.
Nky guru Wrote:Ryle lost a key player to a season ending injury. Ryle should win but I don't see a blow out.

Highlands won't be 100% either.
Back 100 years ago when I played at Highlands. If we scored 3 TDs we win. Some games just 2 TDs. Of course we were going both ways. Good offense and good defense.
Things I am hearing out of the Fort do not bode well for this game. Love the ragging on a SOPH high school kicker. Unbelievable. Not really sure how this year is better than last year by any stretch. The difference is Cooper not as good as last year, nor is Scott County. Both lost a lot of quality from last years teams. Biggest difference is having a QB that can run the offense that coaches like to run.
You're right. Cooper down from last years team. But not a lot. Are you saying QB can't run the offense?
mantax Wrote:Things I am hearing out of the Fort do not bode well for this game. Love the ragging on a SOPH high school kicker. Unbelievable. Not really sure how this year is better than last year by any stretch. The difference is Cooper not as good as last year, nor is Scott County. Both lost a lot of quality from last years teams. Biggest difference is having a QB that can run the offense that coaches like to run.

Defense is no better, special teams not as good, but offense is much better. I feel a big reason for this is the QB is running the offense much better, he throws a better pass, better runner, making better decisions. THis offense can score it is just that the D is making no stops and in order for them to win they have to score almost every possession or need to get a break w/turnovers.
Soph kick or Sr kicker, the kicking game is not good and it has to be fixed, HHS can not afford to give up pt afters as much as they are. They would be better off going for 2 if the % of makes does not improve.
sstack Wrote:Defense is no better, special teams not as good, but offense is much better. I feel a big reason for this is the QB is running the offense much better, he throws a better pass, better runner, making better decisions. THis offense can score it is just that the D is making no stops and in order for them to win they have to score almost every possession or need to get a break w/turnovers.
Soph kick or Sr kicker, the kicking game is not good and it has to be fixed, HHS can not afford to give up pt afters as much as they are. They would be better off going for 2 if the % of makes does not improve.

You realize that you are talking about a kid that has kicked in a grand total of 3 games in his high school career. How do you fix the issue? He has missed 4 PAT's I believe and 3 of those were in game 1, which they won by the way. Have those missed PAT's cost them a game? No, it is a process that takes time and experience. Patience and understanding is what the kid needs and putting all of this pressure on him is not fair to the kid.

The problem is that people became spoiled over the last 4 years. If any special teams areas need work, it is in the return game which has been pretty non-existent since BW took over.
Are you talking KO or KO return? During the Mueller era BW was in charge of KO coverage. And Dale was in charge of KO return. In 2012 Highlands had 6 or 7 returned for TDs on them. 2 in one game. That's BW fault. As far as not being able to stop anyone. Unless it was a poor team. When did they ever? And Mueller knew it. SJ isn't any better. For 2 years now I've heard. "We have to line up right". Who's job is that? Or is the wrong defense being called for the down and situation?
bo67 Wrote:Are you talking KO or KO return? During the Mueller era BW was in charge of KO coverage. And Dale was in charge of KO return. In 2012 Highlands had 6 or 7 returned for TDs on them. 2 in one game. That's BW fault. As far as not being able to stop anyone. Unless it was a poor team. When did they ever? And Mueller knew it. SJ isn't any better. For 2 years now I've heard. "We have to line up right". Who's job is that? Or is the wrong defense being called for the down and situation?

Talking KO and punt return game, both leave a lot to be desired. Problem with KO coverage is they put kids out there to get them a letter. That is okay if a large majority of KO's go in the endzone. Defensive side of the ball leaves a lot to be desired because of reluctance to put your best 11 players over there irregardless if they play offense as well.

Who you think made those changes in the state title game against Owensboro in 2014? That performance spoke volumes.

Wait until you read about what they had to do this week.
mantax Wrote:You realize that you are talking about a kid that has kicked in a grand total of 3 games in his high school career. How do you fix the issue? He has missed 4 PAT's I believe and 3 of those were in game 1, which they won by the way. Have those missed PAT's cost them a game? No, it is a process that takes time and experience. Patience and understanding is what the kid needs and putting all of this pressure on him is not fair to the kid.

The problem is that people became spoiled over the last 4 years. If any special teams areas need work, it is in the return game which has been pretty non-existent since BW took over.

Practice, practice, practice. And from what I am hearing it is not all kickers fault. Hearing the holder needs to make some adjustments.
Sports is all about pressure and stepping up when it counts, if you are not willing to deal with the pressure of sports go to the movies on Friday night.
mantax Wrote:Talking KO and punt return game, both leave a lot to be desired. Problem with KO coverage is they put kids out there to get them a letter. That is okay if a large majority of KO's go in the endzone.
Who you think made those changes in the state title game against Owensboro in 2014? That performance spoke volumes.

Wait until you read about what they had to do this week.

Totally agree, make too big a deal of high school kids getting too tired to play both ways. That might be true for some of the teams out there with over weight boys with poor conditioning but Highlands kids are usually on the smaller side and well conditioned and I see them having little trouble playing both ways. If you have the players to platoon I think it is a good idea, but it not I feel you need to play your best players both ways.

Highlands has always tried to put younger or 2nd, 3rd stringers on special teams. It is great to do that as long as it is not hurting your chances to win the game. If it is hurting your chances to win, need to put players in that can get the job done.
If Highlands plays like they did against Scott Co. They can pull out a win but they got to come ready to play
You're right about basically just putting bodies out there on KO. Not smart. I'm glad people are starting to realize best players play. Even if it means going both ways. The days of platooning might return. But they can't do that now. It's just the way it is.
What a slaughter!!!
I told you Ryle would score over 40. Where was the much improved offense of Highlands?