Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top Ten 2a games of week ending 9-3-16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Each week I look at these games and think this may be the best week in 2a football for the year. Then the next week it seems to get better. This week is no exception. Man we have some really good games this week. I had trouble limiting it to 10. So here is this weeks top ten:
1) #6 Owensboro 5a @ #7 Owensboro Catholic
We start with one of several rivalries. This in fact is more special considering it crosstown rivals. We have two teams that year in year out figure to be in the mix of their perspective classifications. Owensboro appears to be on their usual hot start to the season at 2-0. Owensboro Catholic comes in at 1-1 due to a tough loss to a large school from Ind in the first week. Both teams had similar results last year making it to the regional championship game of their classes. This game last year was the only difference in their records. Owensboro won it 35-28 and finished their season at 11-2. OC finished at 10-3. This should be another great one and I wish I could watch it.

2) #4 Central 3a @ # 5 Christian Academy of Lou 2a
Another game between two powers from the same city. Both of these teams also again figure to be among the favorites in their perspective classifications. Central comes in at a disappointing 0-2, due to tough scheduling. CAL comes in at 1-1, also with some tough scheduling. Both finished last year with identical results at 10-3 in the regional championships of their class. Central won this matchup last year 28-21. The concensus this year is that CAL is better than they were last year and Central is about the same. Can this change make up the difference of the 7 points? Be their Friday to find out.

3) #4 Danville 2a @ #6 Boyle County
Wow, another great crosstown rivalry by two of the premier programs in the state. These two teams are both striving to get back to their glory years when, their city was referred to as title town. Both are highly thought of in their perspective classes this year. Danville comes in with a high powered offense at 2-0. They better shore up that defense for this one though. Don't let the 0-2 record of Boyle Co fool you. Boyle has played one of the toughest schedules to this point in the state. I'm pretty sure you will here the canons sound off several times in this game. Last year Boyle took this game in convincing fashion at 20-42. The whole state will be anxiously awaiting the results of this one.

4) Paducah Tilghman 3a @ #1 Mayfield 2a
One of the longest running rivalry games in the state. I believe this is the 103rd meeting of these two. The longest winning streak for either team is the current 10 game streak by Mayfield. The longest run prior to that was 7. This game has kind of lost some luster this year with the early season debacle by PT. They started the year with a running clock loss to #10 McCarcken Co of 6a. Then they go and give what is thought of as a better team, a tough fight before succumbing to a 29-21 loss. Mayfield comes is as of yet, untested at 2-0 with two running clock games. We know what we will get out of Mayfield but, which PT team will show? Last year Mayfield came from behind to win 37-14. It will again be a packed house with lots of great tailgating.

5) #8 Butler Co 2a @ #3 Russellville 1a
Here we have a game between two undefeated teams that also figure to be major factors in their perspective classifications. Both finished among the best of their class last year as well. Russellville took this one last year in a scoring fest at 52-42. Butler Co feels they are better this year and this game will go a long way toward guaging that. One of these teams needs to show some defense in order to prove they can compete for a state title, which will do it. Russellville finished last year in the state semis at 11-3. Butler Co finished up at 9-3. This should be a whale of a game.

6) #6 Somerset 2a @ #2 Beechwood 1a
Here again we have another game between two traditional powers, that figure to be in the mix of things again this year in their perspective classifications. Somerset feels they have something to prove this year as they took it on the chin last year at home in this matchup, by a score of 14-48. Somerset is figured to be better this year than their 6-5 season of last. Beechwood is expected by most, to not be as good as last years 13-2 state runners up. This due to heavy losses to graduation. So they also have a chip on their shoulders, with something to prove. I expect this to be a dandy of a game.

7) #2 DeSales 2a @ Ballard 6a
Here we have another game between two of the usual powers of their classes from the same city. Both are just 2 years removed from being on the carpet in BG. Ballard finished last year with a disappointing 6-5 record. DeSales finished last year with another great run at 11-3. DeSales is still trying to feel themselves out at this point as they are still young due to graduation. Last year the Colts won this matchup 29-6. It should be another great game to gauge how these two will compete late in the year. Ballard comes in at 1-1 and the Colts at 2-0 and unscored upon.

8) Campbell Co 6a @ #3 Newport Cent Cath 2a
Another great game between two 1-1 teams, who have played some tough competition to this point. This game went to the wire last year as NCC pulled out the 28-19 win. The Camels finished last year with a very disappointing 1-10 record and will be looking to improve upon that. NCC finished up in their usual spot as state runners up at 9-6. This will be important to gauge how these two will shape up.

9) Williamsburg 1a @ Leslie Co 2a
Here we have a game between teams with perfect records. The problem is Wburg wants to fix that perfect record. The jackets are probably the best winless team in the state other than Boyle Co. Williamsburg had a somewhat disappointing season last year, dropping from 2 time state runners up to 5-6. Leslie Co finished last year with a 9-3 record. Williamsburg appears to be much improved this year as the jackets have lost two close games to two top ten 2a teams. Last year LC won this matchup 27-19. Has the improvement in the jackets been enough to change that outcome? Should be a great one.

10) Grant Co 5a @ Lloyd Memorial 2a
Here we have a revenge game that was decided by a field goal last year as LM won 36-33. Grant comes in appearing to be improved from their 4-7 record last year at 2-0. Lloyd appears they may be slipping this year from their impressive 9-4 season last year to a 1-1 start this year. Will this one go the distance again? It should be very interesting.

Well, there you go, I hope y'all enjoy the read and the games this week. Good luck to all and stay safe.
A week of war in 2A this week. TongueirateSho
Ballard will be tough to beat for this young DeSales team.
Hey 55, great work once again!! Are these the BGR rankings?
Game 8
It will be interesting to see how Campbell County plays after their big upset over Highlands. BTW, congrats Camels!
Those emotional victories sometimes lead to big let-downs.
Glory, thanks and yes, that is BGR ranking from past week. I think the new ones will be out tomorrow.
Game 7
Going with Ballard in a low scoring game, if they take care of the ball

Game 6
I feel Beechwood is still a little too much for the Jumpers
If those two things happen, then 2a isn't as tough as I think it is.
Beechwood is, and will likely always be, a fundamentally sound football team. I'm looking forward to Somerset traveling up their Friday.
Jumper, got some friendly advise for you. Park behind their field at either the Kmart or Wslgreen's, I can't remember which it is. You can park there for free and walk right through the path in the woods of about 20 yards and get in. If you don't, Beechwood staff will suck about $5 more out of you for parking. We learned that after the first time or two there. Also, if you are winning and recording for video, you better turn the camera to the scoreboard just a few seconds before the final horn sounds. If you don't, they will shut the scoreboard down before you can record the final score.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the Somerset and Beechwood game plays out. As a Pikeville fan since the early 80s I know how tough it can be to win at Beechwood. If the Jumpers can leave Ft. Mitchell with a win it will be an impressive win.
mysonis55 Wrote:Jumper, got some friendly advise for you. Park behind their field at either the Kmart or Wslgreen's, I can't remember which it is. You can park there for free and walk right through the path in the woods of about 20 yards and get in. If you don't, Beechwood staff will suck about $5 more out of you for parking. We learned that after the first time or two there. Also, if you are winning and recording for video, you better turn the camera to the scoreboard just a few seconds before the final horn sounds. If you don't, they will shut the scoreboard down before you can record the final score.

Thanks for the advice, and that's a pretty funny thing to say about the scoreboard, hope Somersets film crew reads this!
NCC wins in a close one. I can't remember the last time Campbell Co. has beaten Highlands and NCC in the same year.
mysonis55 Wrote:Jumper, got some friendly advise for you. Park behind their field at either the Kmart or Wslgreen's, I can't remember which it is. You can park there for free and walk right through the path in the woods of about 20 yards and get in. If you don't, Beechwood staff will suck about $5 more out of you for parking. We learned that after the first time or two there. Also, if you are winning and recording for video, you better turn the camera to the scoreboard just a few seconds before the final horn sounds. If you don't, they will shut the scoreboard down before you can record the final score.

Its neither, its Kroger. When you exit off the freeway, go to the right side of the Kroger store and park around back.
Thank you. I couldn't remember. Know where it is, just couldn't recall which store.
Game 5
For playoff hopes, it isn't as important for Russellville to prove they can defend the pass as it is for Butler Co to show they can defend a good run team. The Bears' game last week against Edmonson Co is a bit concerning. They were outgained in yardage and without winning the turnovers 3 to 1 it very well could've been a loss. That game was at home, this week they are on the road.

Going with Russellville and maybe not as close as some are predicting
Game 4
Yes, it is a rivalry but this is all Big Red. 1.) at War Memorial 2.) excited for a matchup, at least by name 3.) advantage in all facets

(bonus) the crotch kick motivation theory Confusednicker:

Mayfield big - will be really surprised if PT stays within 28