Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Barbaro is Euthanized
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After all the time and money spent to save him. Sad.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/16572911.htm
Oh Well.
That is sad...after all that he had to endure.
This broke my heart... IMO he was the best horse to ever race
I was really hoping he'd pull through. I felt so bad for him after he got injured. He was a great race horce.
I saw on the news the other day that he was doing better. Sad turn of events.
I hate this... Was really hoping that the horse healed... It has really suffered for the last 8 months or so....
yeah, this is sad news...I hate to see any athlete get injured, but in the cases of these special athletes, many times this is the end result, and its just tragic..
This is sad to hear. Thought he was going to make a full recovery.
A sad day in Lexington and around the US. He was going to be the greatest of all time and win people alot of money. He will be missed.
i just wonder how much sperm they extracted from him before he was put down ?
This is awful news! Could someone explain to me why horses are put down because of this inury? I am not very knowledgable when it comes to horses and such.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:This is awful news! Could someone explain to me why horses are put down because of this inury? I am not very knowledgable when it comes to horses and such.

horses need all there legs to be 100% to survive idk why but it usually is common practice to not even try and save it cause it usually doesnt work. they had to do it cause if not he would of died in more pain a few days later
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:This is awful news! Could someone explain to me why horses are put down because of this inury? I am not very knowledgable when it comes to horses and such.

When a horse has a catostrophic injury like this they shift their weight to another leg... by doing this they develop laminitis, a hoof disease... in Barbaros case he lost 80% of his back hoof... then this past weekend his leg he had broke became lame again and his left back with the laminitis was also lame so he put all his weight forward, causing him to develop laminitis in his front feet... so he didn't have a good leg to stand on and he was in distress
Thanks guys and you have covered all areas. Always wanted to know this. Man I have a soft heart when it comes to horses or animals period! Can't wait for someone to make a movie about Barbaro! R.I.P!
What a "warrior"...He fought to the end and as said in earlier posts a sad day for all of us who have owned a horse and have faced the question when enough is enough..

A big "salute" to a horse that officially was never defeated...A sad time for us horse lovers.
Barbaro has a full brother/sister that will foal in the spring hope its as good as a horse as Barbaro which was a truly great athlete
Barbaro was an amazing horse... I wish he would have made it
The Fan Wrote:i just wonder how much sperm they extracted from him before he was put down ?
Probably None. Artifical means are not allowed in Thoroughbread racing. He would have to nad been there to form an off-spring and the injury would not allow it. There will be no little Barabro's running around.
Beef Wrote:Probably None. Artifical means are not allowed in Thoroughbread racing. He would have to nad been there to form an off-spring and the injury would not allow it. There will be no little Barabro's running around.

I thought I saw or heard somewhere that they did extract his sperm.
They will ship sperm in harness racing ... not sure about the Thouroughbreds though
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:When a horse has a catostrophic injury like this they shift their weight to another leg... by doing this they develop laminitis, a hoof disease... in Barbaros case he lost 80% of his back hoof... then this past weekend his leg he had broke became lame again and his left back with the laminitis was also lame so he put all his weight forward, causing him to develop laminitis in his front feet... so he didn't have a good leg to stand on and he was in distress

The greatest horse of all time was affected in much the same way.

In the fall of 1989, Secretariat was afflicted with laminitis, a painful and often incurable hoof condition. His condition failed to improve, and he was euthanized on October 4. He is buried at Claiborne Farm in Paris, Kentucky. In death, he received the ultimate honor for a horse — he was buried whole. By tradition, the only parts of a Thoroughbred buried are their head (to symbolize intelligence), heart (to symbolize strength), and legs (to symbolize power).

I broke down and cried that day, my roommate in college was from Millersburg, and his brother worked at Claiborne farm and the first thing that we did when we wen to home in Bourbon Co was to go and see BIG RED.
News like this really rips my heart out. To me a horse is the most graceful, prettiest animal on the planet and they can have such a sad look. And when you know they are hurting and then knows the outcome of what has to be done, it is just pitiful! Told you guys...Soft heart when it comes to animals! Hope they put Barbaro in Churchill Downs! He was America's horse and America's pet! I wonder how much money they spent on Barbaro trying to save him?
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:News like this really rips my heart out. To me a horse is the most graceful, prettiest animal on the planet and they can have such a sad look. And when you know they are hurting and then knows the outcome of what has to be done, it is just pitiful! Told you guys...Soft heart when it comes to animals! Hope they put Barbaro in Churchill Downs! He was America's horse and America's pet! I wonder how much money they spent on Barbaro trying to save him?

This is a touching post. I also hate to see an animal with such grace and beauty go down like this. And I would say that they spent a good lot trying to save his life, and I thought everything was going great, but one little setback is all it takes.

He got laminitis. Any other thing he could have probably pulled through, but there is no cure for laminitis. This is a hoof disease that kills all the great racers like Secretariat the TC winner of 73.
Barbaro was doing fine until they discovered he had laminitis. It is EXTREMELY painful to the horse and they wanted him to suffer no longer. so they put him down.

I loved him to death and wished he never broke down in the Preakness and won the TC.

RIP Barbaro. We Love and miss you!!!