Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why no Mayfield games on wpsd antenna channel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just wondering why there isnt a mayfield game on this channel all year not mayfield Tilghman or Mcracken or Tilghman.Seems Wpsd is having a bias against Mayfield hell we cant even make their screwy weather map amymore.:flameBig Grinoesnt really seem like local six to me they are to worried aboutIllinous or somewhere.
My understanding is that several local schools have opted-out of TV coverage. My guess is the effect on gate revenue. You may try asking the school officials if this is the case for Mayfield. If not, it would be shocking for WPSD not to carry any Mayfield games.
Schools need the gate, I doubt Channel 6 pays the schools anything to air their games. The Illinois thing is all about getting the Illinois viewers for the channel 6 market helps fuel their revenues. I'm a loyal Paducah person but 15 minutes of weather and 10 minutes of commercials and self promotion videos and graphics doesn't leave much time for news.
Schools are blocking access in many cases. MCHS wants to get paid. They didn't even have the PTHS match up last year. Everything that happens in a school now is about money. Football programs don't even get revenue generated by the teams. Goes to the school, band, etc.
Yes, it was over loss of gate. We had the host of the WPSD game shows at Red Helmet Club breakfast last year. He sai Mayfield is one of many schools wanting them to pay to film, due to a drop in gate. They will not pay and therefore cannot film. They got two of ours last year. They were at PT and at Caldwell. They both play at War Memorial this year and therefore, those won't be aired. There may be a chance at McCracken. I don't know if McCracken has also banned it.
Only the PTHS game was on for McCracken this year. For those unable to attend the Sept. 9th meeting between Mayfield and MCHS, when the best football game in this half of the state is being played. You get to watch Anna-Jonesboro vs. Massac Co. (Oh, hell yeah - can't wait for that one!)

I would recommend, if you have a smart phone getting the TuneIn App. It will allow you to listen to 99.5 The Fan out of Paducah, anywhere in the country. Very cool for grandma's and others not able to attend. Below is the Schedule for WPSD 6.3

August 18th: Dresden vs. Martin Westview - 7:30pm

August 20th: McCracken County at Paducah Tilghman - 7:00pm

August 26th: Vienna at Eldorado - 7:00pm

September 2nd: Trenton Peabody at Union City - 7:30pm

September 9th: Anna-Jonesboro at Massac County - 7:00pm

September 16th: Henderson County at Caldwell County - 7:00pm

September 23rd: Caldwell County at Paducah Tilghman - 7:00pm

October 7th: Harrisburg at Murphysboro - 7:00pm

October 14th: Union City at Dresden - 7:30pm

October 21st: DuQuoin at Murphysboro - 7:00pm
Watered down schedule for sure.
Why should television and radio get to make money broadcasting high school events for free? I'm glad the schools are shutting them out. It would be nice for old people or people far away to be able to see the game but blame the broadcasters that want a free product.
Not sure it impacts the gates for big games where the schools are close, but I could see it stunting visitors traveling out of town on an inclimate night.

Funny how they expect to get the games for free, but yet they fight to charge cable TV companies top dollar to retransmit their "free" OTA signals to CATV customers.
I see the broadcasting of local games as a community service. For the kids mainly. Do you really think the football game advertising revenues to Retro TV pays for the employees and equipment needed to cover the game? Schools are taking the wrong stance in my opinion.
TV stations aren't losing money on the games. Schools are, particularly late in the season during colder weather. It is definitely impacting the gates.
Community service programs don't include high school sports on TV in my opinion, Radio is free and all the local schools ball games are broadcast. I can almost assure you the sponsors of the games pay enough to cover the expense or they TV6 wouldn't be doing it.
Speaking of Community Service, the community has an obligation I think to attend the games and pay to see them.
I know this is a bit off subject, but the 12 schools that make it to the championship game in Bowling Green the khsaa broadcast the games and you have to pay to get it, do they share of the revenue between the 12 schools?
Boy, this is a slippery slope. Winder came to our breakfast and spoke on this. He explained that they are not making money on it. However, the school officials feel that it effects the gate. I don't know if there is a great solution to this problem. Maybe with more sponsors they could. But, if they do that, then they will have to have more commercials. If they start that, then we may start seeing tv timeouts like at state, which definitely effect the game.
Generally it should be a win/win for the school and radio station. Our local station has the radio class at school produce an interview with a player that is used in the half time portion of the broadcast and a (assistant) coaches interview in the pregame. They work hard to promote the kids, with an hour long pregame and 30 minute post game. Several times throughout the season they will interview coaches from other sports (non revenue) and also you will hear from the Supt. and the AD along with the principal. Also I can't count the times the owners have "donated" money to teams or bought T-shirts.

I can't see a way to work it out to promote the kids and school.
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Only the PTHS game was on for McCracken this year. For those unable to attend the Sept. 9th meeting between Mayfield and MCHS, when the best football game in this half of the state is being played. You get to watch Anna-Jonesboro vs. Massac Co. (Oh, hell yeah - can't wait for that one!)

I would recommend, if you have a smart phone getting the TuneIn App. It will allow you to listen to 99.5 The Fan out of Paducah, anywhere in the country. Very cool for grandma's and others not able to attend. Below is the Schedule for WPSD 6.3

August 18th: Dresden vs. Martin Westview - 7:30pm

August 20th: McCracken County at Paducah Tilghman - 7:00pm

August 26th: Vienna at Eldorado - 7:00pm

September 2nd: Trenton Peabody at Union City - 7:30pm

September 9th: Anna-Jonesboro at Massac County - 7:00pm

September 16th: Henderson County at Caldwell County - 7:00pm

September 23rd: Caldwell County at Paducah Tilghman - 7:00pm

October 7th: Harrisburg at Murphysboro - 7:00pm

October 14th: Union City at Dresden - 7:30pm

October 21st: DuQuoin at Murphysboro - 7:00pm

What's funny to me on all of this(being from Eastern Kentucky) is I actually know of some of these teams(bolded above) and have just learned some of them in the last couple of months since my son started assistant coaching at Sparta, IL after he moved there. I'd never heard of A-J, Duquoin or Murphysboro before May. I've actually been over to Duquoin a time or two in the past few months. I know of Union City, TN because they took my picture when I was driving down the road in a speed trap last fall while heading to Arkansas for a college football game.
Looks to me like you all could get some local sponsors to pay the school and get extra advertising to pay for a broadcast of at least one or two games down there. Maybe put a painted patch on the field advertising some local businesses on game night when broadcast on TV? That would make up for the lost butts in seats.
There ARE TV timeouts at the state games!! KHSAA keeps all the money from those broadcasts.

There are ads that play during the games they broadcast. They would not get the money from the ads if they were not broadcasting the games. What they are doing is this. They are already at the big games because they need highlights from those games for the 10 o'clock news so why not just broadcast and get to sell a few ads.
Colleges and professional football teams are paid, and some games are blacked out if ticket sales are not a sellout.