Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 7 Greenup County 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
final
Congrats to Russell
If anyone knows how Nathan Brinkman of Russell is doing after he went down with an injury let us know.
Congrats to both teams on a heck of a game.
TJ says it's a shoulder injury for Brinkman.
Thought we might see a higher scoring contest....
Two pretty good defenses and a lot of mistakes offensively. Figured it would be low scoring but thought Russell might break a couple of long ones.

Greenup really flies to the ball. They won't lose many games.
Both teams are pretty fast laterally and fly to the football. But they are suspect at DB positions. Both squads recievers were open all night, the throws just werent there. I dont think they gave their RBs (either team) a chance to find any rythm. Both defenses are sound, but offensively there were alot of missed blocking assignments by Russell and BOTH teams couldnt take advantage of opportunities. Officiating was suspect several times. Just really an odd game for me. Neither team quit fighting though. Greenups defense will win them some games if they can capitalize on field position. It was an early game, Grizzle more than held his own in his first big game as HC. He and Armstrong have to be two of the youngest coaches in the state. One thing is for sure, the hire of Scott has breathed new life into the Muskies' football program. Hope the kid from Russell that went down is ok. GC also had a band member that went down, from what looked like heat related illness, hope they bounce back as well.
No offense for either team , can't win if you can't score both teams will struggle this year on offense
Hope Brinkman is okay them are some tuff kids and play really hard.... I really hope for the kids on this team that Russell's coaching staff wakes up and decides to go under center more and use tight ends or this will be a constant theme of not being able to punch it in down in the redzone
Congrats to both teams though the Backyard Brawl never seems to disappoint..... Greenup going in right direction under Grizzle seems to be getting the most out of his kids.... Russell must find offensive identity period!
I agree with alot of things said here. I didnt see two great defenses last night. I saw an offense with its wheels spinning and an offense that was sputtering to get started. Both OL got whipped upfront by the opposing DL. Conley looks bigger, but slower than last year, and tbh, Russell in general looks more like a Wing T/Bone team, just from the outside looking in. Their weak upfront offensively. Greenup a bit stronger upfront on the OL, but very slow, and Warnock needs 20 carries a game minimum.
I'm looking at the stats for this game in the paper.....can't be right!!11first downs all night between the two teams? GC had -6 yards rushing????A total of 151 yards between the two teams????WTF... This can't be right! If it is I'm so glad I didn't go and I'm sorry you boys that did.
Gonna be a long night for the Devils next week at the Hank when the Fighting Tigers come across the river with revenge on their mind.
Both offensive lines were a little sloppy and out of sync. That's to be expected this early in the season. Russell's defensive line and linebackers played very well, especially considering that Evan Ison didn't play, forcing Grant Bates into a starting role. He looked pretty good and had his first career int.

This was certainly not the most aesthetically pleasing game to watch, but Russell got the job done. I would always rather go home underwhelmed by a win than disappointed with a loss. I learned a long time ago not to overreact to the first game.
Very true samson81. Russell did leave a few scores on the field either because of first game gitters or stupid mistakes, also due to first game. Smith was overthrowing or throwing behind the receivers all night. he had a wide open Brewer down the middle that would have been a score. Two plays on another possesion, a droped ball in the end zone and, a td pass caught brought back because of a procedure call would have been another score. They had the ball in the red zone 3-4 times and couldnt take advantage. some of this was due to first game mistakes. The other thing i saw in those situations is a problem that Russell has had since Maynard got there< not being able to line up in a power formation and get the tough short yards. With a hard runner like Conley and a big kid like Pierce at tackle i cant understand why TJ didnt go under center with a tight end and a lead blocker. maybe they still wouldnt have scored. But i would like my chances a lot better with that formation.
mightydog Wrote:Very true samson81. Russell did leave a few scores on the field either because of first game gitters or stupid mistakes, also due to first game. Smith was overthrowing or throwing behind the receivers all night. he had a wide open Brewer down the middle that would have been a score. Two plays on another possesion, a droped ball in the end zone and, a td pass caught brought back because of a procedure call would have been another score. They had the ball in the red zone 3-4 times and couldnt take advantage. some of this was due to first game mistakes. The other thing i saw in those situations is a problem that Russell has had since Maynard got there< not being able to line up in a power formation and get the tough short yards. With a hard runner like Conley and a big kid like Pierce at tackle i cant understand why TJ didnt go under center with a tight end and a lead blocker. maybe they still wouldnt have scored. But i would like my chances a lot better with that formation.

This is one of the worse Russell teams I've seen in many years , good thing for them Greenup's offense is just as bad or worse
Nothing like handing the ball off to a back standing flat footed five yards deep in the backfield when it's 3rd and 1?We do it too.I don't understand it at all but I'm not a coach so I'll just come on here and complain about it like you guys hahahahaha
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Nothing like handing the ball off to a back standing flat footed five yards deep in the backfield when it's 3rd and 1?We do it too.I don't understand it at all but I'm not a coach so I'll just come on here and complain about it like you guys hahahahaha
Being a Boyd parent for the last few years, I can sympathize. A couple years ago we would be in shotgun on 4th and inches. But now we finally have a power I set along with a wishbone. And more importantly, we're executing. So, maybe he's just waiting till they can get it down in practice, although you'd think its the simplest plan there is.
Greenup County finishes the season 8-2 going into the playoffs as a 2 seed.
^^^^HahahHahahahahahaha
FBALL Wrote:Greenup County finishes the season 8-2 going into the playoffs as a 2 seed.

So Greenup will beat either Ashland JC or Raceland? Fleming won't be easy either.
DE/OLB Ryan Stump had quite a coming out party on Saturday.

9 tackles(8 solo)
6 tackles for loss
4 QB hurries
Fumble recovery
Interception

He's going to be a force on defense this year.
samson81 Wrote:DE/OLB Ryan Stump had quite a coming out party on Saturday.

9 tackles(8 solo)
6 tackles for loss
4 QB hurries
Fumble recovery
Interception

He's going to be a force on defense this year.

Easily could have been the game MVP
I heard something for the first time ever from a PA during that game .. The PA actually said #78 almost got the tackle but so so got it .
GC is for real. Once Coach Grizzle gets his offensive issues worked out, they'll be fine. I don't know if I agree with 8-2 but I can easily see them second in their District and playing a playoff game at home and possibly winning it. Not sure they'll beat Raceland. I think they may be the better team in NEKY this year, regardless of class. Johnson Central and Paintsville are the best in "true Eastern KY Mountain football. Jmo