Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top Ten 2a games of week ending 8-27-16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope everyone enjoyed the start of the 2016 season this past weekend. We had some really great games. This week, I think the games may even step up a little here in 2a. I really think there are going to be some barn burners this week. So, here is this weeks top ten:

1) #5 Southwestern 5a @ #4 Danville 2a
Well, so much for Danville losing too much to graduation last year, as the started off the 2016 campaign just as they left off last year. The Ads find themselves in the top five of 2a this year and facing a top five team from 5a this week. These two teams had really good years last year. The Ads of course returned to their normal dominate selves going 12-2 and losing a close one on the road in the state semis. Southwestern also had a great year last year posting a 8-4 record. Both have started the season with good wins. Whichever team wins this, not only gets a boost of confidence but, will hopefully propel themselves in the rankings of their classes.

2) Murray 2a @ Calloway County 4a
Here we have a rivalry game between crosstown rivals. Murray has been owning this rivalry for recent years. They took this one last year 48-21, but it was close for most of the game. Both teams finished last year near 500 on the season. Murray finished up at 7-5. Calloway finished up at 5-6. Both teams got off to an season opening win last week. The general consensus is that Murray will take a step back this year as they lost one of their most talented classes in many years to graduation in 2015. Calloway appears to be on the rise. That may make up the difference here. It will be a packed house.

3) #3 Newport Cent Cath 2a @ Cooper 6a
This should also be a great game. Here you have a top five small school taking on a traditional big school power. Last year the big school blanked the Breds 35-0. Don't let the fact that Cooper is winless and unranked fool you. They took powerhouse Highlands to the wire Friday. Last year NCC finished up at 9-6 as state runners up. Cooper also went deep in 6a with a 10-3 record. NCC had a very impressive win Friday and Cooper had an equally impressive loss. This should be a hotly contested game.

4) #7 Owensboro Cath 2a @ Daviess Co 6a
Here is another rivalry game that should be a great one. Last year Daviess took a close hard fought win in this matchup 27-21. OC had to feel like the gifted that game away. This year, the consensus is that OC isn't the same threat as last. They need this game to prove otherwise. OC started this season with an unimpressive loss. Daviess started off with a win. They both had success last year with Daviess ending at 7-4. OC finished up as Regional runners up at 10-3. This will be a great game.

5) Ky Country Day 1a @ #6 Lex Christian Academy 2a
Here we have a game between two rising private school teams. They are similar in many ways. Starting with the color blue. They also are two schools right on the cusp of propelling their programs into the top tier of their perspective classifications. Both finished with decent records last year. KCD finished up at 6-6 in the second round of the playoffs. LCA finished up as regional runners up at 8-5. Both started of this season with a win. This game last year also appeared to be a shootout with LCA besting KCD at 55-34. It should be a great one.

6) Lloyd Mem 2a & #2 Beechwood 1a
Don't turn away from this one just because Lloyd isn't getting the respect of their class. This should be a great one. Here you have a game between a 2a team that was right in the thick of their tough district last year before finally succumbing to eventual state runner up NCC. Then you have the state runners up from 1a. Last year the small school Tigers took this one 48-22. Lloyd finished last year at 9-4. Beechwood finished up at 13-2. Who will earn the respect of most of the state with this win?

7) Casey County 3a @ #9 Glasgow 2a
Here we have a small school stepping up in class just a week after destroying a highly thought of smaller school. Here we have a game between two teams with similar results last year as well. Both teams got off to a quick win last week. Casey went 5-7 last year and Glasgow 6-6. I think this could be a great chance for Glasgow to build themselves a reputation in 2a.

8) Williamsburg 1a @ #10 Somerset 2a
Oh, here is a very relevant game that most people would miss. Here you have the little school Jackets that had a rough season last year after finishing as the state runners up 2 years running prior to that. Last year the jackets went 5-6. They also lost this matchup last year 20-41. Somerset also finished with a disappointing season for themselves at 6-5. The Bunnies will be using this game to see where they stand in their district. That being because, the jackets took LCA to the wire Friday. LCA is considered by many as the front runners in this district. This should help clear up some of the landscape focus there.

9) #2 DeSales 2a @ Butler County 6a
Here we have a game featuring one of the better 2a teams against another big school in an attempt to build the smaller school for the future. Butler had a very disappointing season last year going 2-9. They also lost this matchup 13-49. They however got off to a good start with a win Friday. The Colts also got off to a great start with an impressive win over another big school last week. Who will show they have made the improvements this week?

10) Edmonson County 3a @ #8 Butler County 2a
Here we have another small school taking on a bigger school. Both had some success last year. Edmonson went 6-5 last year. Butler Co went 9-3 and was a scoring machine last year. Butler won this matchup 49-14 last year. This should give Edmonson a revenge mindset. Both appear to be headed in the right direction this year as they opened with wins. It will be an interesting one to watch.

Well there you have it. Enjoy the week and everyone be careful going to and coming from this weeks games.
Why is 2a so quiet? Feel free to provide us with your thoughts. I see plenty of you are reading these but, let's exchange your opinions.
If Danville pulls off a win this week, look out. Would be a huge confidence booster over a very talented big school. Could vault the Ads to a Top 2 or 3 team in their class. Even a close loss wouldn't look bad on their resume.

I'm interested in seeing if Calloway has improved enough to beat the Tigers. I have heard they're much improved and a win here would likely put them in the drivers seat in their district. It'll also give us a chance to see how far, if any, the Tigers have fallen off this year.

Looking forward to the Lloyd/Beechwood matchup. Should be a good game to guage both teams. Have the Juggs taken the next step up the 2a ladder and will the Beechies prove their still the Beechies or have they, in fact, taken a big drop off as some have suggested?

The Williamsburg/Somerset game is a game to keep an eye on. How do the Jumpers stack up against district rival LCA since they played this same team last week and was the Jackets respectable showing against LCA a sign that they're going to be a 1a factor or was that game a fluke and this one prove they've still got a ways to go to compete with the upper echelon of 1a teams.
Butler should be improved from last year, but I still see the Colts winning by at least 2 td's. Our first test will be next week at Ballard. I'm hoping we see that week 1 to week 2 improvement Friday night.
I'd really like to catch that Southwestern vs Danville game. I think that one, and Central vs Corbin are the best games in the state Friday night.
The Southwestern/Danville game is the one I would most like to watch this week.
I'm interested to see if Newport Cent Cath has closed the gap on Cooper. Expecting that game to be much better than the 35-0 shutty last season. NCC is one of those teams that tends to improve each week. So, a good showing here will be a good sign for the Breds.
mysonis55 Wrote:The Southwestern/Danville game is the one I would most like to watch this week.

Yes 55, me too. I don't have a feel for either of these teams so seeing them live would be nice.
mysonis55 Wrote:Why is 2a so quiet? Feel free to provide us with your thoughts. I see plenty of you are reading these but, let's exchange your opinions.

You could come back down to 1A and do a top ten. Confusednicker: I got to give you just a little credit you do and AWESOME JOB on your top ten. Confusedhh:Confusedhh:Confusedhh:

I guessed I would like to watch the Newport Central Catholic vs Cooper game. :popcorn:
I hope this isn't a trap game type situation for Somerset with beechwood looming in the wings a week from friday. Williamsburg is a lot better than they were last year. They could post some problems for the jumpers. Good breakdown here 55.
Thank you all. I'm glad to get some talk going here in 2a. I tell you there are a lot of good teams this year in 2a. I can't believe 64 wants me to come back to 1a. He has been wanting rid of us for the last three years prior to last year.
Southwestern Rb Patric Edwards 13 carries for 145 yd 2td and 4 Catches for 68yd last week against Jeffersonville Ind.. I looked for him to have a big game against Danville. Confusederiously:
Cooper lost to Highlands due to 3 or 4 turnovers. If they hold onto the ball. They take it out on NCC. Cooper never punted the whole game. Gave Highlands a TD on a fumble in the end zone. And they fumbled on the 1 yard line.