Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Has your high school ever had an Olympian?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Either the Summer or Winter games in any sport.
If so.... what year, what event and the result.
Russell graduate Chinwe Okoro(class of 2007) is currently representing Nigeria in Rio. She's a track and field athlete, competing in the discus. She holds duel citizenship in the U.S. and Nigeria. Keep an eye out for her when the track and field events get under way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinwe_Okoro
I don't think Johnson Central has ever had an Olympian.... if we have, I don't know about it.
Lafayette- Tyson Gay (I don't think he qualified for the Olympics this year, but he is a Three-time Olympian, and once--I believe--was the "Fastest Man in the World").

Louisville Central- "The Greatest" himself.

St. X- Mike Silliman (basketball, won a Gold Medal) <---can't lie on this one, I had to look it up. I just had a hunch that X had an Olympian(s) (and, guessed it was in swimming/diving).
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Lafayette- Tyson Gay (I don't think he qualified for the Olympics this year, but he is a Three-time Olympian, and once--I believe--was the "Fastest Man in the World").

Louisville Central- "The Greatest" himself.

St. X- Mike Silliman (basketball, won a Gold Medal) <---can't lie on this one, I had to look it up. I just had a hunch that X had an Olympian(s) (and, guessed it was in swimming/diving).
Gay was a late add to the team. He's there
Wallace "Wah Wah" Jones
Harlan High School.
1948; London; Men's Basketball; Gold Medal.

'Wha Wha' might be the 2nd best athlete from Kentucky behinds Muhammad Ali.
Men's Basketball
Ralph Beard - 1956 - Gold (Male)
Billy Evans - 1956 - Gold ???
Ken Rollins - 1948 - Gold ???
Adrian Smith - 1960 - Gold ???
Wallace Jones - 1948 - Gold (Harlan)

Rifle
Willis A. Lee - 1920 - Gold X 5 - From Owen County

Boxing
Cassius Clay - 1960 - Gold (Central)
Kenny Davis. Wayne County High School. Captain of the Olympic Basketball Team in 1972. Won the Gold Medal but it was stolen from the team by Olympic officials.
I saw on facebook that a track and field athlete, who is representing USA went to Pendleton Co for his freshman and Sophomore year. Then his family moved to Virginia.
Can't believe no one has mentioned Mary T. Meagher from Sacred Hart. 32 gold medals and 1 bronze medal. Held world two world records, 1 for 19 years and the other for 18 years. Madam Butterfly.
Nathaniel Cartmell was from Kentucky and won several medals in the early part of the 20th century but I don't know what high school he attended.

Adrian Smith was from Farmington High School in Graves County. He was on the Olympic basketball team that won a gold medal

Of course Alan Houston of Ballard was on the Olympic basketball team Brad Wilkerson of Apollo was on the Olympic baseball team.
Kenny Rollins high school was Wickliffe, in Ballard County.
rojas Wrote:Kenny Davis. Wayne County High School. Captain of the Olympic Basketball Team in 1972. Won the Gold Medal but it was stolen from the team by Olympic officials.

Kenny is a super nice guy. Lives about a mile away as a crow flies from me and about a two mile drive. I've heard the Olympic story several times, a few being at the Roland Wierwille basketball camp at Berea College when I was little. They got hosed. Video below explains it all.

papagrit Wrote:Kenny is a super nice guy. Lives about a mile away as a crow flies from me and about a two mile drive. I've heard the Olympic story several times, a few being at the Roland Wierwille basketball camp at Berea College when I was little. They got hosed. Video below explains it all.

I don't need to watch the video. I was watching live on TV as a 14 year old. The Soviets should have been embarrassed to receive the Gold Medals.
Brad Wilkerson (Apollo) was on an Olympic team that I think won Gold. Caroline Burckle was another Sacred Heart swimmer that if remember correctly won a couple Silver medals. Elaine Breeden was from Lexington and went to a little private Christian school. I think Breeden won a couple Silvers as well. Nate Dusing was an Olympic swimmer out of Covington Catholic. I'm not sure if Dusing won any medals. Almost forgot about Jon Rauch from Oldham County. Rauch was on a Gold medal Olympic baseball team.
My alma matter had two that I can think of but I can't remember one of their names. The one I do remember was Brenda Taylor. She ran the 400 meter and reached the Olympic finals but I think she came in 7th overall. Girl was a freaking genius too. She studied biology at Harvard during college.
chipmunksyndrome Wrote:My alma matter had two that I can think of but I can't remember one of their names. The one I do remember was Brenda Taylor. She ran the 400 meter and reached the Olympic finals but I think she came in 7th overall. Girl was a freaking genius too. She studied biology at Harvard during college.

Name of your alma matter?
Found this on Wikipedia. This is part of the answer at least.

Brenda Taylor (born February 9, 1979) is an American track and field athlete who specializes in the 400 meter hurdles. She reached the final of the event at the 2004 Summer Olympics. She also competed at the 2001 World Championships in Athletics and won a medal at the 2003 IAAF World Indoor Championships in the 4×400-meter relay.

She is a Harvard University medical graduate and won the hurdles at the 2001 NCAA Championships representing the Harvard Crimson track team.

Born in St. Louis, Missouri, but grew up in Boone, North Carolina, and having graduated from Watauga High School in 1997, she had her first successes on the track for Harvard Crimson, while studying psychology and biology at Harvard University
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Name of your alma matter?

Watauga High School in Boone, NC.

Edit: Just realized the guy below this posted it