Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Professional Basketball in Eastern Kentucky?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone ever heard of the "old" professional basketball teams that used to play in Eastern Kentucky in the 1920s and 30s? I am trying to put together some information on the old professional teams that played in Paintsville and came across many teams from across Eastern Kentucky that had some well-named players. Paintsville had the following teams: Semi-Pros (1927), Globetrotters (1931), Independents (1932), Rice's Drug Store Independents, and the Merchants (1934). These teams played the local high school teams as well as themselves. Some of the teams from the area that I have come across are: Whoo Pflung Independents (from Huntington, WV), Pikeville Parrots, Elkhorn City Ramblers, and the Ashland Merchants.

Does anyone know anything about these teams? This was very interesting for me to come across and I would like to share it all with everyone in Eastern Kentucky!!!
I was aware that there were some old leagues and teams that played back in the early part of the century, but I wasn't aware of any pro teams. That is interesting! I can't be of any assistance, but if you learn of anything about these old teams, please share it with us. I find it interesting.
EKY Sportster Wrote:I was aware that there were some old leagues and teams that played back in the early part of the century, but I wasn't aware of any pro teams. That is interesting! I can't be of any assistance, but if you learn of anything about these old teams, please share it with us. I find it interesting.

I have written a small article concerning the local teams from Paintsville, but haven't yet compiled anything on the other teams. I will try to get it posted on a link for everyone to read!!!
I know there used to be a pro football team in 1921 in louisville, but never heard about a basketball team.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I have written a small article concerning the local teams from Paintsville, but haven't yet compiled anything on the other teams. I will try to get it posted on a link for everyone to read!!!

That would be good. Keep us posted!