Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Washington University in St. Louis Football Camp July 24-25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Washington University in St. Louis will be holding their second and final camp for the summer on Sunday and Monday July 24th and 25th. About fifteen smaller colleges will be represented there. WASHU as Washington is known is a top fifteen nationally ranked university competing against Ivy League schools as well as tech savvy schools such as MIT, Georgia Tech and Duke. Cost is $75 to $85 for the two days and the campus is indeed impressive to view on tour when one visits.
WASHU has a medical school, engineering school and a school of architecture along with various other graduate schools. Engineering degrees can be completed in four years while your son gets to play football at the DIII NCAA level. That's better and easier on the pocket than the 3.5 + 2 years it takes to get a four year Bachelor of Science degree in a liberal arts school here in Kentucky and play football. Plus they will direct a kid on career readiness and a LOT of doors open up when a kid graduates from WASHU if they take advantage of the programs there. I know that is what kids go to college for, but, it is amazing to me the number of kids that get a degree and then don't know what to do next to find meaningful employment.
This school is less than 5 and half hours drive from Lexington, KY and driving to games on game day with a 6am departure is very viable. World class academics, within one day driving distance and a school that has an excellent sports reputation makes for an excellent possibility for some of the smarter kids from our region here in Kentucky. I'd especially recommend a visit for those of you in Western KY who would be even closer to St. Louis.
Drury Inn Brentwood and Hampton Inn Forest Park are two hotels I personally recommend to stay at while visiting and call them directly to ask for the Washington University athletics rate.

http://bearsports.wustl.edu/summer-camps...tball_Camp
Great school. But with an a n n u a l Cost of Attendance @ $68,728, I'm confident many Kentuckians will not let football be the attraction for attending.
Tica Wrote:Great school. But with an a n n u a l Cost of Attendance @ $68,728, I'm confident many Kentuckians will not let football be the attraction for attending.

This is true or near it. My two sons have attended WASHU. Staying doubled in a traditional dorm room (older dorm) with the silver (middle of the run) meal plan and attending full time totaled a bill of (round numbers) $63,000 annually last year. The academic scholarship money that has been provided for us is in the $55,000 range for a family of four that makes less than $75,000 annually. (I work in a factory as a grunt) If we had sent them to UK or U of L the tuition/room/board cost wouldn't have been much better (about $3,500 annually at UK) than that with demands that the boys keep a 3.7 GPA or better to retain their academic/Governor's Scholar scholarship. WASHU is need blind on their decision on who they accept and about 15% that apply get to attend. Need blind means they don't look at your kid's statistical data, (black/white/asian, poor/rich/middle class, rural/urban etc...) They look at the overall application and try to bring in a kid that is well rounded in all areas including athletics/volunteerism/academics etc. I've heard of them turning down kids that have 34 and 35 ACT scores who were only academicians because they only beat the books and didn't do anything else for kids with 30 ACT scores who volunteered time and participated in sports as well as studied hard. It's very competitive to get into this school. Wanting to play football and a coach backing your application will boost your chances, but, in no way is a guarantee that a kid will get in. But the rewards for attending a school like this can be far greater than attending a local college and will challenge a kid that does get in. It opens doors and creates contacts that we just don't see around here at the local schools. (The stories I could tell from meeting other parents of other players alone)
Again, this school is an excellent school that is competing for the pool of kids that the Ivy League Schools pull from. If your kid is hearing from Ivy League schools because of their test scores, then this school is a distinct possibility that is within driving range. Princeton is the closest Ivy League school to Lexington and is about the same drive in time as going to Panama City, Florida while driving to St. Louis is about like driving to Atlanta, GA. I know this because we as a family toured six of the eight Ivy League schools during recruitment. I wanted to give my boys the best opportunity that I could. I never dreamed that my kid would attend an Ivy League level school, but, after crunching financial numbers I was like "Why the hell not??". The way I look at it, my kids are just as good as the kids who have parents that are millionaires/billionaires. They deserved the same chance to succeed in life. WASHU made it affordable enough and I now have one graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering who had a job by early March of this year before he graduated. He had passed on an official football visit to Dartmouth when offered his senior year of high school and had a full ride offer from EKU but choose WASHU. EKU, is a fifteen minute drive from my home and the though of my son running out on Hangar Field in maroon and white when he was in high school just can't be described. Eastern is MY Alma Mater of which I truly hold dear for the time I spent there and the friends I made there. I hold a four year degree in Geography........while I work at my little factory job wearing out my body. I wanted more for my boys.
Another reason to look at WASHU football is the head coaches philosophy that I appreciate very much. Coach Kindbom says that every kid that plays for him should rank life in this order:
1. GOD
2. Family
3. School
4. Football

The man has had four losing seasons since taking over the program in 1989 and follows this philosophy strictly. He's a great guy to have coaching your kid.

Live view of the field and new athletic center:

https://wustl.edu/francis-field-webcam/

The presidential candidates will debate at the athletic center this fall. That is if Bill will let Hillary buy a nice broom to fly in on and Trump can get that hair combed out in time.