Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Turkish Coup De Etat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The country with largest military force in NATO is in revolt. Remember, this is one of the very few countries in this world with cheek enough to shoot down Russian Fighter Jets. The so-called Arab Spring still rumbles, and the world is even more dangerous as the result.
TheRealThing Wrote:The country with largest military force in NATO is in revolt. Remember, this is one of the very few countries in this world with cheek enough to shoot down Russian Fighter Jets. The so-called Arab Spring still rumbles, and the world is even more dangerous as the result.

While the situation remains fluid, it appears the coup has crumbled.
These coups are something else to watch but let's all hope they are guarding our B61 nukes. Just a thought...
^^I like the way you think. Here's another thought, President Erdogan has done his dead level best to bring Turkey under sharia law. He is Islamist at best and some variant of extreme Islamist at worst. In any case he has been more than hospitable to Radical Islamist fighters headed to Syria to join ISIS. Trump is correct in his assessment that we should rethink the terms of our NATO affiliations.

The United States cannot leave nukes parked in hands that may ultimately turn against us. It's like we're too embarrassed to react or something. I just hope we can somehow survive until the end of his term. 115 days till November 8th.
TheRealThing Wrote:^^I like the way you think. Here's another thought, President Erdogan has done his dead level best to bring Turkey under sharia law. He is Islamist at best and some variant of extreme Islamist at worst. In any case he has been more than hospitable to Radical Islamist fighters headed to Syria to join ISIS. Trump is correct in his assessment that we should rethink the terms of our NATO affiliations.

The United States cannot leave nukes parked in hands that may ultimately turn against us. It's like we're too embarrassed to react or something. I just hope we can somehow survive until the end of his term. 115 days till November 8th.
It appears this could escalate with demands being made by Erdogan. We know how weak Obama is so I'm sure we will just roll over for anything they want. We still have a base there full of military that's pretty much being held hostage, but don't worry we will have John Kerry to negotiate for us :please:
Demarcus ware Wrote:It appears this could escalate with demands being made by Erdogan. We know how weak Obama is so I'm sure we will just roll over for anything they want. We still have a base there full of military that's pretty much being held hostage, but don't worry we will have John Kerry to negotiate for us :please:

John Bolton acted like this is a very big deal, as in 'grave', as in military parlance. With the potential to become incendiary. They cut power to our base and evidently Erdogan is really showing his horns. You gotta wonder how 21st Century thinking is going to prevail in this case. We absolutely cannot allow them to run us off and leave all that armament.

John Kerry only does what he's told, and even then he's so timid acting so as to be an embarrassment IMO. We probably ought to send in a Campfire Girl if things get dicey. I would venture this, without Turkey the viability of NATO is laughable.
From what I understand, Obama's backing of the Erdogan government was a mistake (or ignorant). Although elected, the government supports Isis fighters in Syria by allowing them refuge in the country. The government has also shown a willingness to morph into an Islamic Caliphate.

The Military in Turkey has a history of being the protectors of secular government. I also understand that Turkey has closed its air space meaning when no longer have access to Syria and Iraq from bases in Europe.

The arresting of Judges, after the coup , just flat out reeks.
Pick6 Wrote:From what I understand, Obama's backing of the Erdogan government was a mistake (or ignorant). Although elected, the government supports Isis fighters in Syria by allowing them refuge in the country. The government has also shown a willingness to morph into an Islamic Caliphate.

The Military in Turkey has a history of being the protectors of secular government. I also understand that Turkey has closed its air space meaning when no longer have access to Syria and Iraq from bases in Europe.

The arresting of Judges, after the coup , just flat out reeks.

The Administration can kiss off the idea about any sort of 63 member nation coalition putting pressure on Turkey to demonstrate 21st Century thinking and turn the lights back on at Incirlik. One ridiculous demand already pending restoration of the power is for the US to turn over exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen, a Pennsylvania resident.
And to think, we have a nuclear weapon stored there!
This was nothing more than a fake plot designed to give more power to the islamist terrorist running the country.
Eradicate islam or slowly watch it take over those countries.
Two more points emerged this morning from former UN Ambassador John Bolton. First is the unfortunate third purging, in a series of purges in which President Erdogan has eliminated opponents of radical Islam. He has over 6,000 in custody right now and is trying to reinstate the death penalty for many of them. Added to that is the fact that Putin now seems to be heavily courting Erdogan as a potential ally, which means any further US use of Incirlik Air Base is growing more and more unlikely. To rub salt in the wound, it would seem to me to be extremely unlikely to think that Obama could muster the courage to show enough US resolve so as to secure the situation over there long enough to evacuate US military hardware and personnel.

Secondly, ISIS has already convinced most of the world's inhabitants that it's claim of a restored Caliphate is a reality. Imagine how much more so if Erdogan, who has been unashamed to defend ISIS and the Muslim Brotherhood, goes the direction many believe he would like which is to declare Turkey part of the Caliphate. The possibility of which has recently been the hot topic of discussion in many Arab World circles.

EXCERPT---
“Turkey is the Caliphate State, and Istanbul is its capital … Turkey unites religion and the world, Arab (Wahhabist Sunnis) and Persian (Shiites), Asia and Africa, and it (the Caliphate) should be based upon this nation (Turkey)”.
http://shoebat.com/2014/08/18/muslim-bro...caliphate/

All of a sudden, the rag tag JV squad which got it's start using abandoned US military equipment and armaments, seem poised to become a world player. This time however they get an upgrade in that they could, with the aid of Erdogan's blessing, attach themselves to the largest NATO based military force in Europe. But not to worry, the administration assures us they're closely 'monitoring' the situation. And as we have seen even more carnage in France this past week, we can take heart knowing we can expect the same sort of powerful rebuke to come Erdogan's way, as that suffered by ISIS when Paris went forward with their Climate Summit last November. That will show'em.