Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Baseball Ever Weaker in the 14th??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been 11 seasons since the 14th region has sent a team to the state tournament. Under the old format only one team advanced from a four team sectional. From the mid '80s to the mid '90s the 14th was sending a team to the final four about every four years and sending players on to play NCAA D-I and even the minors...

1995- Hazard (final four)
1991- Knott Central (final four)
1987- M.C. Napier (final four)

Jason Chandler ('89-Breathitt Co.) Morehead State, Reds organization
Jackie Little ('88-Lee Co.) EKU
Shawn Little ('89-Lee Co.) Morehead State, NAIA All-American 1st team at Cumberland College, frontier league
Keith Stewart ('91-Powell Co.) JUCO - Minor Leagues
Todd Jacobs ('90-Knott Central) Morehead State
Devon Ratliff ('90-Knott Central) Morehead State
Harold Craft ('91-Knott Central) Morehead State
Mark Dixon ('94-MC Napier) Ole Miss, Morehead State
Patrick Wooton ('94-MC Napier, Buckhorn) Morehead State
Brian Campbell ('95-Hazard) UK
Jarvis Williams ('96-Knott Central) WVU
Roy Wells ('97-PCC) JUCO - Minor Leagues
Roger Little ('97-PCC, Hazard) Rockies organization
Rodney Little ('97-PCC, Hazard) Rockies organization
rawlingsfan Wrote:It's been 11 seasons since the 14th region has sent a team to the state tournament. Under the old format only one team advanced from a four team sectional. From the mid '80s to the mid '90s the 14th was sending a team to the final four about every four years and sending players on to play NCAA D-I and even the minors...

1995- Hazard (final four)
1991- Knott Central (final four)
1987- M.C. Napier (final four)

Jason Chandler ('89-Breathitt Co.) Morehead State, Reds organization
Jackie Little ('88-Lee Co.) EKU
Shawn Little ('89-Lee Co.) Morehead State, NAIA All-American 1st team at Cumberland College, frontier league
Keith Stewart ('91-Powell Co.) JUCO - Minor Leagues
Todd Jacobs ('90-Knott Central) Morehead State
Devon Ratliff ('90-Knott Central) Morehead State
Harold Craft ('91-Knott Central) Morehead State
Mark Dixon ('94-MC Napier) Ole Miss, Morehead State
Patrick Wooton ('94-MC Napier, Buckhorn) Morehead State
Brian Campbell ('95-Hazard) UK
Jarvis Williams ('96-Knott Central) WVU
Roy Wells ('97-PCC) JUCO - Minor Leagues
Roger Little ('97-PCC, Hazard) Rockies organization
Rodney Little ('97-PCC, Hazard) Rockies organization

That's an impressive list. Where did you get the list?
the 14th region has not produced as much as they did in the early 90's and late 80's however i do not feel like they have lost everything a lot of players just want to stay around here bobby dustin (kcc) could have went to uk and u of l but didnt because of a girlfriend and even at alc got looks from big teams a lot of the down fall in the 14th region is due to the younger programs look at the 15th and 13th region little leauge teams the 14th region do not have that type of program.
This year it will change
90FeetFromHome Wrote:This year it will change

Who is currently playing in the 14th region that will play D-I?

Since 1998, I'm pretty sure only Quentin Morgan has signed to play D-I baseball straight out of high school:

1998- Caleb Brock, Whitesburg (Lincoln Trail CC, and then to UK)*currently playing in the Indians organization
1998- Kyle Moore, Breathitt Co. (walked on at Morehead)
2002- Brandon Hammons, Lee Co. (went to Rend Lake JUCO in Ill., and then signed with Morehead)*currently at Morehead State
2002- TeWayne Willis, Perry Cent. (went to UK to play football, then played baseball at Roane St. CC, currently at Lincoln Memorial Univ.)
2005- Quentin Morgan - signed with Morehead State
Many of our kids today are not as interested in sports in general. To many other things for them to do that is easier. Kids would rather play video games, ride skateboards, four-wheelers, etc... than to go out and work to improve their ability in a given sport. Many parents do not push their kids to join a team or if they do join and things do not go their way they are allowed to quit. It is my opinion that if you are not playing, than you need to work harder and improve your skills so that you will have the opportunity to perform. Most coaches play the best players. These are the underlying reasons why the 14th region baseball talent has dwindled.
it also has a lot to do with coaches. some coaches just dont have that many connections with D-1 schools. most of their connections are D-2, NAIA, etc. its true kids aren't as interested now days but i know once i started something i wasn't allowed to quit, and i think thats how it should be. if not your just teaching your kids its okay to give up when things start going bad. they have alot more distractions in big cities than small towns. they have alot more toys and entertainment they can get their hands on in big cities. however i think its more of kids having to work in small towns. small town people are old school. when their parents were young all they knew was work. anything else was secondary, and thats why they cant understand kids wanting to put sports ahead of that.
bigE Wrote:it also has a lot to do with coaches. some coaches just dont have that many connections with D-1 schools. most of their connections are D-2, NAIA, etc. its true kids aren't as interested now days but i know once i started something i wasn't allowed to quit, and i think thats how it should be. if not your just teaching your kids its okay to give up when things start going bad. they have alot more distractions in big cities than small towns. they have alot more toys and entertainment they can get their hands on in big cities. however i think its more of kids having to work in small towns. small town people are old school. when their parents were young all they knew was work. anything else was secondary, and thats why they cant understand kids wanting to put sports ahead of that.

If the coach doesn't have a connection contact the coach yourself. College level coaches love to here from possible recruits. Ask them what they are looking for in a player, if he wants to see any tapes, if you have them, and ask him about scholarships and such. Just about no question is dumb. A player can contact the coach all he wants, per NCAA rules. It just takes some incentive on the player's and parent's part.

And I really agree with you on this.:Thumbs: