Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Sayyid Qutb and modern jihadists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This Egyptian born intellectual- type was sent to the U.S. in the late 50's...and hated what he saw. He returned to Egypt believing the modern world was "jahiliyya," or in the barbarous state that existed before Muhammed and believed "only the strict, unchanging law of the Prophet can redeem this uncivilized condition." He was executed by the Egyptian government for his radical beliefs and writings when he refused to recant. He is widely read and held in esteem by Islamic radicals.

Those who think like Sayyid Qutb hate modernism and see America as the "Great Satan" example of all of the evils of modernism. Mohammed Atta, lead hijacker of 9/11, read Qutb and embraced his hatred of the modern world, particularly America.
If I understand correctly, what these modern jihadis most want is an ultimate showdown with the forces of modernism, a battle they refer to as "Armageddon."
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:If I understand correctly, what these modern jihadis most want is an ultimate showdown with the forces of modernism, a battle they refer to as "Armageddon."

You sure about that? The word Armageddon is of Hebrew origin, is it not?
TheRealThing Wrote:You sure about that? The word Armageddon is of Hebrew origin, is it not?

If I understand correctly, the modern jihadis understand what is spoken of as "the Great Battle" to be the same as "Armageddon" and use the word interchangeably, though, again, as I understand it, the location for this final struggle are different. From what I gather, some Islamics will not use the term "Armageddon," but modern jihadism makes use of the term.
⬆⬆ Worth noting, given suicide bombing attack on Istanbul airport, that those of the "Sayyid Qtub" school of thought will just as enthusiastically kill other Moslems who disagree with them.