Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Marcum Steps down at Clay, whose next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Apparently he wanted a guarantee from the Administration that he was safe and had their support during what could be a couple rebuilding years. Looks like no promises could be made, so he has resigned.
Robert out and Gray will be the next coach. Everyone has known this was coming. Absolutely foolish to force this guy out, he done a great job.
Clay County just lost one of the top five coaches in eastern,Kentucky. Sad day for Clay County Basketball. :Sad04:
Looks like the 3 stooges (GG, MH, WS) got their wish and Marcum resigned. If Gray is the next coach which from a political standpoint that is the choice and it is just ridiculous........He couldn't get the job done the first time so what makes the board and Sexton think he can do it again. Very sad day
Sexton wanted Gray last year but didnt get the super job in time to do it and not make it look really bad so he had to wait. You can guess as to why?
64SUR Wrote:Clay County just lost one of the top five coaches in eastern,Kentucky. Sad day for Clay County Basketball. :Sad04:

seems like a bad move for sure.
Another example of Eastern Ky. politics at its best. Superintendents that thinks they know more than coaches or good ole Bob's son needs to coach our team.
Xerxes Wrote:Another example of Eastern Ky. politics at its best. Superintendents that thinks they know more than coaches or good ole Bob's son needs to coach our team.

You got that right. I wish there was a way to get the politics out of it.
Who will be the assistants? Who will start besides Sexton? Why would Glenn Gray want the job again? Sexton would have been the "main" returner as far as points/rebounds anyway regardless of who the coach was...wouldn't he?
Any chance Clay asks Shannon Hoskins to come back?
I dont see Shannon Hoskins leaving Perry any time soon.
This was rumored to go down last year and whispers started making the rounds again this year. I guess it finally happened. It's all who you know in Eastern Kentucky. Clay could take some lumps the next few years.
Hate to see Marcum forced out. He has done a good job
nedreader Wrote:Who will be the assistants? Who will start besides Sexton? Why would Glenn Gray want the job again? Sexton would have been the "main" returner as far as points/rebounds anyway regardless of who the coach was...wouldn't he?

They want Gray to have it because of the middle school kids coming up. He coached them in grade school and has a good relationship with the kids.....This is still the dumbest move I have ever seen. We keep Jones around forever when he couldn't win anything.......Spurlock surely couldn't win anything......and then you get a coach who wins the region twice and makes it to the finals 5 straight years and you force him out.....wow
This is a crazy move , Clay will pay for this
cchsfan4life Wrote:They want Gray to have it because of the middle school kids coming up. He coached them in grade school and has a good relationship with the kids.....This is still the dumbest move I have ever seen. We keep Jones around forever when he couldn't win anything.......Spurlock surely couldn't win anything......and then you get a coach who wins the region twice and makes it to the finals 5 straight years and you force him out.....wow

I think Spurlock over-achieved with some of the teams he had, definitely not the most talented runs of talent coming through during his tenure as coach. No one, and I mean, NO ONE! rounds up a search committee like the CC TIGERS!

Just hate to see a guy that done a solid job be let go, that's ridiculous in my opinion.
TheTigersEye Wrote:I think Spurlock over-achieved with some of the teams he had, definitely not the most talented runs of talent coming through during his tenure as coach. No one, and I mean, NO ONE! rounds up a search committee like the CC TIGERS!

Just hate to see a guy that done a solid job be let go, that's ridiculous in my opinion.

Where will Marcum go now? somebody could end up with a great coach.
I am not sure if he goes anywhere, he is very localized in his day job so unless it's as an assistant somewhere nearby I don't see it happening.
Ritchie's looking for a job!
He may get on as an assistant, being a convicted criminal and all. Saw some T-shirts and bumper stickers popping up around town that read "Glen is in, let the winning begin!".
The job hasn't been posted on the KHSAA website.
It doesn't matter if it is posted or not.......Glenn is in!
cchsfan4life Wrote:it doesn't matter if it is posted or not.......glenn is in!

yessir!
Really hate to see Robert go, good ball coach and great person.
Will they give steve wright a shot at it?
The Outsider Wrote:Will they give steve wright a shot at it?

Doubt it, maybe a long shot. Southwestern is a better job than Clay. I don't really think they forced Marcum out to bring in somebody else from the outside. From everything I have heard, Glenn is in.
I do not know , but on the surface it looks as if Marcum resigned because of the talent or lack of, coming. Graduation hit hard and the next couple years could get lean. I don't think they forced him out at all. It just looks like he didn't want to go through the grief of POSSIBLY losing at Clay Co.
PRIDE101 Wrote:I do not know , but on the surface it looks as if Marcum resigned because of the talent or lack of, coming. Graduation hit hard and the next couple years could get lean. I don't think they forced him out at all. It just looks like he didn't want to go through the grief of POSSIBLY losing at Clay Co.

I wish that were the case. It only look's that way from the outside. We are going to be a little lean next year, still a 20 game winner because that's what we do.
Whoever gets the coaching job at Clay County will have their hands full. Sure, graduation hurt, but my deepest concern with CCHS basketball is the lack of "TEAM" ball that was played the last couple of seasons. True "TEAM" ball has not been present at Clay since McDaniel left. When upperclassmen set that kind of example for the freshmen/JV teams, then it is like a cancer that can eat a team up from the inside out. The ONLY stat that should matter is W's & L's. Clay has all the pieces to the puzzle (if the right coach can make them fit so everyone else can see the big picture).
We had the right coach, but we see how that worked out.
Pages: 1 2