Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: History of the Paintsville High School Boy's Basketball Program - Help Needed!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For some of you who don't know I have spent the last three years researching the history of the Paintsville High School boy's basketball program. I began with the first season in the history of the school, 1921, and have continued to the present. It includes every game that has been played, the scores, and pictures, newspaper articles and other great information. Paintsville currently has 1,256 wins (not counting this season) 4th All-Time in the state, 943 losses, and 2 ties. The information was posted on the Paintsville High School website but it is now under construction. Anyway, I need some help and if anyone can help me find any of the following I would greatly appreciate it. Look in old newspapers, yearbooks, scrapbooks, etc, if you can.

1. Any information on the 1921-22 season. The coaches name, any games (I have 3 games recorded), the record for the season.

2. The name of the coach in the 1923-24 season and any of the games (I have 9 games recorded), the record for the season.

3. The game against Williamson, WV (Feb. 4, 1927) as well as any information on the 1926-27 season.

4. The game against Maytown (Dec. 15, 1928).

5. The following games: Grove Center (Dec. 22, 1930), Maytown (Dec. 26, 1930), Hazel Green (Dec. 27, 1930), Woodburn (Jan. 28, 1931), and Louisa (Feb. 12, 1931).

6. The games against Inez (Dec. 29, 1932) and Prestonsburg (Feb. 18, 1933), as well as information on the 1932-33 season.

7. The game against Prestonsburg (Dec. 23, 1933).

8. The game against Belfry (Feb. 18, 1935).

9. The game against Pikeville (Feb. 19, 1937).

10. The game against Prestonsburg (Feb. 1, 1938).

11. The game against Louisa (Feb. 9, 1940).

12. The game against Inez (Jan. 21, 1941).

13. The games against Inez (Jan. 10, 1942), Warfield (Jan. 17, 1942), and Salyersville (Feb. 21, 1942).

14. The games against Meade Memorial (Dec. 15, 1944).

15. The games against Betsy Layne (Jan. 15, 1946 and Feb. 12, 1946), Belfry (Jan. 31, 1946), and Garrett (no date given).

16. The games against Meade Memorial (Jan. 22, 1949), Van Lear (Feb. 1, 1949), and Louisa (Feb. 18, 1949).

If anyone can shed just a little bit of information for me I would be forever greatful. I am trying to preserve the history of my school and allow it to live forever. Hopefully I can do a composite record for each school in the 15th Region for a book. It would take a while but I am sure that it can be done. Thanks so much everyone and I really appreciate it!!!!!
That's awesome J! I will start hitting up some Ole Timers this year. If I find anything out I will be sure to get up with you!
I think this is spectacular!
Can anyone else help?
I might be able to talk to a few folks, I will see what I can do. I would be more than Glad to help ya out J.R.
J.R. , I will try to help you out with the Williamson and Belfry game
I am involved with the Van Lear Historical Society and we have a school room in our museum that has information about basketball games. We also received not long ago a package from someone in GA whose parents had passed on, they were cleaning out their homeplace and sent us several old 8 x 10 pictures, alot of them were of the Paintsville basketball teams, we believe they were in the old gym, we aren't sure of the year, but they may help. The building is usually open Mon - Sat, give us a call and you are welcome to come and see if anything would help.
I appreciate all of the offers and I hope that we can find out more about the history of the program. If you would like to contact me at school just call and they should put you through to my room, just call between 2-3 PM (it is my planning period!!!). Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
My Granny cheered for Garrett....I will hit her up for some info!! Great going JR.
Anyone got any information (yearbooks, newspaper articles, etc.) on the following high school teams from the 1920s and 30s?

Pikeville College Academy
Magoffin Boys Institute
Salyersville High
Pikeville High
Prestonsburg High
Betsy Layne High
Kermit (WV) High
Haldeman High (Knott County - I think)

Thanks if you do!!!
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...Anothr Praise Paintsville Thread lmao...does it ever stop
Who was it Paintsville's fans fought with that year ...every 1 was fighting it was crazy....Thugs
Homer Simpson Wrote:Who was it Paintsville's fans fought with that year ...every 1 was fighting it was crazy....Thugs

Man, GROWUP. This isn't a Praise Paintsville Thread. He is a History Teacher and working on the History of his school and asking for some help. If you would take a second to read what the post is really about you would know that. WOOOOOOOOO...
I think it is cool what he is doing. I mean the school has been around since what 1889. People forget about the old schools and the pride that was in the mountains with their basketball teams. It wouldn't hurt some of these kids now to learn about were they really come from and what it meant to a school back then to be part of a team.
Yea but Im sick of Paintsville there not that good ...
OffTheHook Wrote:Man, GROWUP. This isn't a Praise Paintsville Thread. He is a History Teacher and working on the History of his school and asking for some help. If you would take a second to read what the post is really about you would know that. WOOOOOOOOO...
I think it is cool what he is doing. I mean the school has been around since what 1889. People forget about the old schools and the pride that was in the mountains with their basketball teams. It wouldn't hurt some of these kids now to learn about were they really come from and what it meant to a school back then to be part of a team.

Man don't worry about him, it doesn't bother me, my feelings get hurt more from my little dog when he gets mad at me after I have been gone all day!! Smile
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Man don't worry about him, it doesn't bother me, my feelings get hurt more from my little dog when he gets mad at me after I have been gone all day!! Smile

Cool. Your right. I don't want this one to get off topic. Have you got any new info as of late?
lmao ...... Wasnt trying to hurt mr incredible's feeling lmgdao........JR VANHOOSE LMAO
The big basketballstar.... teaching high school..........Way 2 suceed mr basketball....A joke lmao......BANNN ME FROM THE SITE ITS PRETTY MUCH BULL NEWAYS ....CYA ALL AND It was fun lmao..........
OffTheHook Wrote:Cool. Your right. I don't want this one to get off topic. Have you got any new info as of late?

Got some people form Martin County helping me with the Inez and Warfield information for games from the 1930s. I am going to try and go to Ashland sometime and get on the microfilm machine and look at some old newspapers and see if there is anything that I can find that I may have missed before. But I have gotten some calls from people willing to help!! Its a start!!!
That's Great. I wish ya nothing but luck. Would make a good book. Have you contacted any of the people over at Meade?
The Magoffin County Historical Society is widely renowed for there memoribilia i.e. old newspapers,clippings,etc.The curator is amazing at Eastern Ky history.There was some stuff about Leonard Carpenter the first person in the state to score 3000 points.He played in the 50s with Lincoln Collinsworth (Kris Collinsworth's dad ) who went on to play on Kentuckys 58 NCAA championship team.Check out there web site for when they are open.
Let's see........SF has been SF for about 12 yrs now........if u really want to go back to 1927.........i think McDowell High School and Wheelwright High School could show u some Great Players in both basketball and football, even tho McDowell never had a football team.........so let's not recap the yesteryears........is that a word...lol.....let us move forward with our stars of today...play this year, or last year "All A" when Pville made their resorvations 2 weeks ahead of the final regional...then had to cancel when SF beat them at AC.........Grant u Eastern KY has had a lot of good teams and good coachs.....but keep up with the times.........It's 2007...not 1927.
Nascar99 Wrote:Let's see........SF has been SF for about 12 yrs now........if u really want to go back to 1927.........i think McDowell High School and Wheelwright High School could show u some Great Players in both basketball and football, even tho McDowell never had a football team.........so let's not recap the yesteryears........is that a word...lol.....let us move forward with our stars of today...play this year, or last year "All A" when Pville made their resorvations 2 weeks ahead of the final regional...then had to cancel when SF beat them at AC.........Grant u Eastern KY has had a lot of good teams and good coachs.....but keep up with the times.........It's 2007...not 1927.
You must have been going to school at SF all 12 years cause your an idiot.
Nascar99 Wrote:Let's see........SF has been SF for about 12 yrs now........if u really want to go back to 1927.........i think McDowell High School and Wheelwright High School could show u some Great Players in both basketball and football, even tho McDowell never had a football team.........so let's not recap the yesteryears........is that a word...lol.....let us move forward with our stars of today...play this year, or last year "All A" when Pville made their resorvations 2 weeks ahead of the final regional...then had to cancel when SF beat them at AC.........Grant u Eastern KY has had a lot of good teams and good coachs.....but keep up with the times.........It's 2007...not 1927.

When did I mention South Floyd in 1927, or even McDowell of Wheelwright in 1927? I am not even looking for information on these two schools! How does the bold qualify to talk about anything in this thread? This is a history project of my own choosing and I am looking for help on it. I am not comparing players or "yesteryears" - yes that is a word!! But thanks for giving us your info. on the subject!!
Homer Simpson Wrote:lmao ...... Wasnt trying to hurt mr incredible's feeling lmgdao........JR VANHOOSE LMAO
The big basketballstar.... teaching high school..........Way 2 suceed mr basketball....A joke lmao......BANNN ME FROM THE SITE ITS PRETTY MUCH BULL NEWAYS ....CYA ALL AND It was fun lmao..........

You can go to hell buddy. JR is livin a dream bein a high school teacher and coachin basketball, sounds to me like he is succeedin. And that's right, MR.BASKETBALL, Sweet Sixteen MVP, Gatorade KY Player of the Year, USA Today Kentucky Player of the Year, do I need to go on. How many awards do you got besides bein the biggest jackass on this website.
The Fan Wrote:You must have been going to school at SF all 12 years cause your an idiot.

:thatsfunn
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Anyone got any information (yearbooks, newspaper articles, etc.) on the following high school teams from the 1920s and 30s?

Pikeville College Academy
Magoffin Boys Institute
Salyersville High
Pikeville High
Prestonsburg High
Betsy Layne High
Kermit (WV) High
Haldeman High (Knott County - I think)

Thanks if you do!!!
Like TheFan said you will be able to get lots of information on those Salyersville, Magoffin Boys Institute teams off of the Magoffin Histoican Society, just ask for Todd Preston and he will try to help you with anything you need.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~kymhs/
Visit this website.
Geez, you try to have a history discussion and you get jerks making stupid posts!

I guess that goes with the territory when you have a free site where any jerk with an email address can open an account and blast away.

Keep up the good work JR, we appreciate your efforts! It is sad that some of these so called loyal fans of other schools would rather focus their attention on attacking other schools than on their own school's history or present accomplishments.
Redneck Wrote:You can go to hell buddy. JR is livin a dream bein a high school teacher and coachin basketball, sounds to me like he is succeedin. And that's right, MR.BASKETBALL, Sweet Sixteen MVP, Gatorade KY Player of the Year, USA Today Kentucky Player of the Year, do I need to go on. How many awards do you got besides bein the biggest jackass on this website.

:lmao:
Redneck Wrote:You can go to hell buddy. JR is livin a dream bein a high school teacher and coachin basketball, sounds to me like he is succeedin. And that's right, MR.BASKETBALL, Sweet Sixteen MVP, Gatorade KY Player of the Year, USA Today Kentucky Player of the Year, do I need to go on. How many awards do you got besides bein the biggest jackass on this website.

And the award goes to...........Homer Simpson! WWOOOOOO! :lmao:

:lmao:

JR, what you're doing is awesome! Keep up the good work!
Pages: 1 2