Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: When Should Mr. Basketball Be Decided?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard some talk at the Sweet 16 last week of people complaining that the Mr. Basketball ceremony is too early. Popular opinion is that they should wait until after the sweet 16 to make the decision. Can you really be the best player in the state if you can't even get your team to RUPP? And could performance at RUPP allow for more exposure to players a lot of people haven't seen play much?
Not saying I agree, just a thought based on things I heard-- What do you think?
I think in the past a kid that had an underwhelming year could have a big tournament and win the award.

I think that's what the MVP award and the state championship trophy is for.

Mr. Basketball should go to the best senior in the state.
What people who haven't been there don't understand is that the award has ALWAYS been decided before Sweet 16, it just wasn't given out until April. Votes were always due beforehand. The ceremony has now drawn attention to that fact and people are up in arms as a result. I ENJOY the Mr/Miss Basketball ceremony and am glad we hold it during the week of Sweet 16. Do you think as many people would attend and honor these kids if it was in April, one or two weeks after people were JUST in Lexington for the basketball tournament?

I think it's good the way that it is. If you change it to voting being afterward, you run the risk of players like Nick Ruthstatz being named Mr. Basketball. He was your average PG going into Rupp but people romanticized his run through the Sweet 16. They were glad to see a true point guard. Judgement will be blinded by someone that had an average career but wins a state championship. Fact.

Side note: I wish all you people that cared so much would show up for the KY/IN All-Star game... because attendance is the lowest it has ever been. We can't even pack Transylvania's gym and Indiana is still holding theirs at the Fieldhouse where the Pacers play.
Should be decided after the sweet sixteen
I agree, give Mr Basketball out just like now... The ones who have had the best season
Too many people would be biased and give it to a kid who had an awesome tourney and won a title but didn't have near the numbers of a kid who put up great numbers all year.
Im with zaga on this. I think its where it needs to be.
I like the end of the regular season decision, that way the best player at the state tournament doesn't win it every year. The best player at state tournament should be tournament MVP, not necessarily Mr. Basketball.
The way it is is just fine