Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay all you basketball fans, got a question for you.

Here's the scenario.......

You are in a basketball game, and need to stop the clock. The other team is in possession of the ball and the person handling the ball is the team's best free throw shooter. So, you choose another player to foul...deliberately foul. The foul is not strong or violent, but the kid you foul is not in possession of the ball.

In this new age of basketball, is this considered an intentional foul?
No.
When did that change?
It really depends on how the official determines the play at that particular time. Not a cut and dried yes or no. Did he grab him to keep him from moving, like by the jersey, or did he wrap him up in a "Bear" hug? Get it, "bear" hug! That ones for you, Granny. Seriously, it's all in the officials judgement.
In the words of Charles Barkley...
You can make anything look unintentional.
I've seen it called that before and I've seen refs just call a common foul. It just depends on the officials. To me it isn't a play on the ball so it should be considered intentional IMO
You know it's running rampant in the NBA right now, and I thought Jeff Van Gundy nailed it the other night on one of their broadcasts when he said fouling is not a skill and it shouldn't be rewarded. Give the offense the option to shoot the free throws or just retain possession.
In the 13th it is intentional and the ref will make a big show of it.
Okay, here's what happened.....We played Barbourville yesterday, and was in control of the game with a 10 point lead or so with time winding down. B'ville's coach called for an intentional foul because we had the ball, and it was in Camichael's hands. He is probably the best FT shooter on the team. Instead of going for the ball, one of B'ville's players runs up to one of our players who doesn't have the kind of FT percentage that Carmichael has, and starts patting our guy. Literally patting him all over his chest and back. It wasn't violent or slapping....just patting. Well the refs called a common foul and he shot bonus FTs. I went ballistic! Next time down the floor.....exact same thing. This happened for about 4 or 5 times.

We ended up winning this game, but if this is a legal call, it's one of the smartest things I've ever seen a coach call. We were trading 1 point for every 2 or 3 of their's. Had they started this earlier, it really could've made the difference in the game.
Granny Bear Wrote:Okay, here's what happened.....We played Barbourville yesterday, and was in control of the game with a 10 point lead or so with time winding down. B'ville's coach called for an intentional foul because we had the ball, and it was in Camichael's hands. He is probably the best FT shooter on the team. Instead of going for the ball, one of B'ville's players runs up to one of our players who doesn't have the kind of FT percentage that Carmichael has, and starts patting our guy. Literally patting him all over his chest and back. It wasn't violent or slapping....just patting. Well the refs called a common foul and he shot bonus FTs. I went ballistic! Next time down the floor.....exact same thing. This happened for about 4 or 5 times.

We ended up winning this game, but if this is a legal call, it's one of the smartest things I've ever seen a coach call. We were trading 1 point for every 2 or 3 of their's. Had they started this earlier, it really could've made the difference in the game.

I think what you said is the reason it isn't an intentional foul because it isn't violent or slapping in nature.
BUT, it is very much intentional. AND since the ball wasn't even close to the player being fouled, there's no way the kid could say he was going for the ball.

I'm wondering if this is a rule change. I remember when the kids used to pass the ball around, playing keep away.....so that if a foul happened it would be ruled as intentional.
What region are you from? I haven't seen an off the ball foul called but 3 times in the last 5 years here in the 15th. lol
Granny Bear Wrote:Okay, here's what happened.....We played Barbourville yesterday, and was in control of the game with a 10 point lead or so with time winding down. B'ville's coach called for an intentional foul because we had the ball, and it was in Camichael's hands. He is probably the best FT shooter on the team. Instead of going for the ball, one of B'ville's players runs up to one of our players who doesn't have the kind of FT percentage that Carmichael has, and starts patting our guy. Literally patting him all over his chest and back. It wasn't violent or slapping....just patting. Well the refs called a common foul and he shot bonus FTs. I went ballistic! Next time down the floor.....exact same thing. This happened for about 4 or 5 times.

If they aren't going for the ball and it's not incidental - it's intentional.
McLovin Wrote:What region are you from? I haven't seen an off the ball foul called but 3 times in the last 5 years here in the 15th. lol

The 13th!!!! WHERE else?
Confusednicker:

zaga_fan Wrote:If they aren't going for the ball and it's not incidental - it's intentional.

And yet we shot a one and one bonus 4 times, and a double bonus twice over this same foul.

Hmmmmmmm

:pondering:
zaga_fan Wrote:If they aren't going for the ball and it's not incidental - it's intentional.

So if the are holding a player or running through a screen since they are not going for the ball it is intentional?
Nerlens Noel approves this message.

Wildcat18 Wrote:Nerlens Noel approves this message.

Confusednicker:
If a coach yells from the sideline to foul and a player does then by rule it is an intentional foul. But if a player is trying to post up and the defender is trying to get position as well then it is not. But by rule if a point guard is handling the ball and a defender runs up and grabs the other guard then it is an intentional foul by rule but most officials don't call it
Read my description...

The defense ran up and grabbed our low post while he was way out in a 4 corner position. The point guard hadn't even crossed the half line yet.

The fouls weren't game related at all, and I want to stress they weren't physical or excessive. It was like he wanted to play patty cake.

Smile
HACKA A SHAQ. NBA had to change their rules because of it.
I just read your full description. I was assuming you were talking about contact on a screen or something. I see moving screens and illegal pick all the time with no calls. But yeah Zaga Fan and others told you right. If I were reffing and it had no implications on posession ornscoring it would be a no call, but if it impeeded something it would have to be intentional. Nice try by the coach, kudos for getting it called the way you wanted but bad decision on the ref. Opposong player should have flopped and fell and opposong coach should have asked for a technical for fighting if thats the way they were gonna call it. If it were the team i was rooting for I would have been thrown out. lol
Granny bear are you from the 13th or were you from elsewhere going to 13th to play?
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:So if the are holding a player or running through a screen since they are not going for the ball it is intentional?

I consider that incidental basketball contact.
McLovin Wrote:I just read your full description. I was assuming you were talking about contact on a screen or something. I see moving screens and illegal pick all the time with no calls. But yeah Zaga Fan and others told you right. If I were reffing and it had no implications on posession ornscoring it would be a no call, but if it impeeded something it would have to be intentional. Nice try by the coach, kudos for getting it called the way you wanted but bad decision on the ref. Opposong player should have flopped and fell and opposong coach should have asked for a technical for fighting if thats the way they were gonna call it. If it were the team i was rooting for I would have been thrown out. lol

He didn't impede the low post, just patted on him. He did wrap his arms around him a couple of times but our low post was completely out of the play. And Yes....I was so mad, I was foaming at the mouth! It wasn't just one ref, it was three refs, and this type of foul was done five or six times. All with the same result. I was just sure that the rule had been changed.

McLovin Wrote:Granny bear are you from the 13th or were you from elsewhere going to 13th to play?

I live in Harlan Co, McLovin.....smack dab in the middle of the 13th....zaga lives in the 14th region. He has no idea what inconsistent officiating really is.

:lmao:
Here in the 16th the refs are just plain bad , I don't know if there is a good one in the bunch never one sided bad for both teams. Being bad is the only consistent thing about them
^^^ but to be fair the basketball is pretty bad too
You guys are hilarious! And no hard feelings but as a fan of the 15th, who has had to travel to the 13th and 14th quite a bit, Ive seen some crazy things. They may be bad to you all, but they are plain cheaters to us! lol. One even told once to hush and accept we lost this one when it was scheduled. lol
I have no problem at al believing that!
McLovin Wrote:You guys are hilarious! And no hard feelings but as a fan of the 15th, who has had to travel to the 13th and 14th quite a bit, Ive seen some crazy things. They may be bad to you all, but they are plain cheaters to us! lol. One even told once to hush and accept we lost this one when it was scheduled. lol

A majority of the time the 13th and 14th just have better teams then the 15th.
Easy Wind Wrote:A majority of the time the 13th and 14th just have better teams then the 15th.

No arguement here, but 15th gets hosed there even when we play the weaker teams in the 13,14,16. Two years ago Johnson Central got it bad against Breathitt Co.
Pages: 1 2