Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KHSAA adopts new pitch count rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good luck enforcing that during the regular season. But it makes much more sense than the innings pitched rule that has been in place since 1990.
Who will enforce the DPCR? Umpire will not be counting..it will be on the honor system. The two teams will have to communicate totals between innings.
Well reading the rule as adopted the DPCR is home team choice and the sole person who matters as pitch count goes. Umpires have no authority at all on pitch counts, which means any dispute always resolved by what designated person says. This will lead to some issues but with 120 limit probably not many. 120 pitches is a lot of pitches for a pitcher to throw even in mid-season form, most will limit kids to 100-110 . As far as rest goes most coaches will abide by it, but most the coaches I know do actually care about health of their players even without exchanging pitching information.
I agree that it makes more sense than the innings rule.

But I foresee this being a major headache to keep up with and maintain over the course of a season. Another thing to keep track of along with heat index charts.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I agree that it makes more sense than the innings rule.

But I foresee this being a major headache to keep up with and maintain over the course of a season. Another thing to keep track of along with heat index charts.

In all honesty, if a team wanted to abuse the innings rule during the regular season they could have done so easily too. Barring being scouted by another team, a disgruntled parent, or the same official(s).
This rule has been needed based on the nationwide data regarding arm injuries. Coaches and players are competitive, with early season games in the colder temps mandates more apporpriate rest.

Excited with it including middle school as well.
Pitch count rules are good for all athletes especially applying it to middle school athletes before they damage their arm.