Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KBA State (7th Grade)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The schedule is out for the 7th Grade KBA State. Let's talk about some of the teams.

http://www.playkba.com/EventSchedules/Le...edule.aspx
Meece and their 10 holdbacks, who are 15 yrs old by now will run away with it, for u teams that play them, just stay home it will just make u mad seeing how old those kids are, it's embarrassing
Oldham fisherman Wrote:Meece and their 10 holdbacks, who are 15 yrs old by now will run away with it, for u teams that play them, just stay home it will just make u mad seeing how old those kids are, it's embarrassing

Here we go again... :HitWall:

What's embarrassing is a grown adult ranting on a message board about something that is within the rules for everyone to partake in.
I looked on link and it appears that only 14 region teams playing are Hazard and Wolfe County - there were a lot of mountain teams but only those from 14th region, hope they can do well !
Been told a Lexington TV station will be at one of Mecce games this weekend to do story about winning at all cost, might have to go to Lexington this weekend to see this
EKY, was Wolfe Co or Hazard Co the best team in 14th region, where did they end up in their Conference
Estill county is playing and they are in the 14th region. They split games with Wolfe, should have won both and play hazard county tomorrow.
Clay County and West Jessamine both have great teams that could beat Meece.
10 hold backs???? [COLOR="Yellow"]Winning at all cost????[COLOR="Purple"]This sounds like something that should be on 60 minutes with some in-depth investigation.[COLOR="Yellow"]The crying has already begun and the first game hasn't even been played! [COLOR="Purple"]LOL[COLOR="Yellow"]#[COLOR="Purple"]B[COLOR="Yellow"]J[COLOR="Purple"]N[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Honestyonly Wrote:Clay County and West Jessamine both have great teams that could beat Meece.
There are a lot of good teams this year and any are capable of winning state. Meece is really good but so are Lincoln, Clay, Knox, and W. Jessamine. I'm guessing Hopkinsville will have a good team too.
You are right - I forgot about Estill being in 14th - heard they are pretty solid, and Hazard pretty solid as well, I saw Wolfe play a few weeks ago at Sportsplex and thought they were pretty good team, had several good shooters and ball-handlers and a some size as one guard looked about 5"10 and center looked about 6'1 ; hope all of these teams can rep the 14th well and the mountain teams make good showing this weekend !
Estill vs Hazard game is tonight and I'll update the score once it's over. My son plays for Estill and I'm looking forward to playing Hazard to see how they look.
Johnson County has a very strong team as well. I can't imagine too many out there being much better than them.
Not seen Johnson play but heard they were really big team and could definitely win the whole thing !
Oldham fisherman Wrote:Meece and their 10 holdbacks, who are 15 yrs old by now will run away with it, for u teams that play them, just stay home it will just make u mad seeing how old those kids are, it's embarrassing

What's the problem with holding a kid back? Get another year to prepare them for college what's the issue? It's within the rules.
I don't see anything wrong with hold a kid back, but when a team has 10 or 12 holdbacks, they shouldn't allow 15 yr olds play in a state tournament against 12 yr olds, if a team has more than say 3, they should make them play up
Doubt they are playing any 15 year old 7th graders. That would be a 20 year old senior. Hold the 12 year olds back is all I can tell you bub. MMS 2016 State Champs!!!
Any info on this game?
Oldham fisherman Wrote:I don't see anything wrong with hold a kid back, but when a team has 10 or 12 holdbacks, they shouldn't allow 15 yr olds play in a state tournament against 12 yr olds, if a team has more than say 3, they should make them play up

A 15 year old would be a holdback 8th grader. There's no reason he should be playing against 12 year olds. That's because there shouldn't be any 12 year olds in 8th grade.
If they are 15 and in 7th grade playing any sport that would be a violation of state regulations.
Oldham fisherman Wrote:I don't see anything wrong with hold a kid back, but when a team has 10 or 12 holdbacks, they shouldn't allow 15 yr olds play in a state tournament against 12 yr olds, if a team has more than say 3, they should make them play up

So on the record, you're saying that Meece has at least ten 15 year old hold back basketball players playing on the 7th grade team and you have physical proof of this, correct?
Why would any 7th grader be 15? You cannot play sports your senior year if you turn 19 before August 1st.
Do you think the parents of Meece players are that crazy? I assure you they are not. Also most Meece players are 13 including half of the starters.
So use the hold back excuse if you want to.
Meece won last year but I'm sure it won't be easy to do it again.
Good luck to All teams. Good luck to Meece!!
Saw where Wolfe beat South Pulaski by 14 last night and Hazard beat Spencer County by 2 - Estill lost
Estill didn't lose they had to pull out of the tournament.
I think cal is one of the best teams in this state. probably the best. even though they lost to Lincoln county who has 5 holdbacks they still could've won it all. cal doesn't have to hold kids back when there 15 years old to win games like meece and Lincoln do.
I have seen both of these teams play a few times. I have seen them demolish 7th grade competition. Both teams best players are hold backs and that is ok. When they play younger kids on the 7th grade level they dominate. I have also seen them play up against their own age group and they are average to good players but they don't dominate their own age group which is 8th grade. Don't stress it all evens out in high school. I wonder what the history of previous MVP's of state tourney have done in High School. I know Fitzgerald from SW has continued to have success but i know of others that were average players in High School.
mindsetiskey Wrote:I think cal is one of the best teams in this state. probably the best. even though they lost to Lincoln county who has 5 holdbacks they still could've won it all. cal doesn't have to hold kids back when there 15 years old to win games like meece and Lincoln do.

If they were the best, they wouldn't have lost. That's just my opinion.

I talked to a CAL parent awhile back where they told me they had a couple of kids who had held back previously. Granted that was a football parent, not basketball. You should probably not live in a glass house.
Well, since one of my "little guys" was brought up, I have to chime in. I again have to differ with the prevailing opinion regarding "holdbacks". As usual, the devil is always in the details. Bottom line is a "late starter" is one who is "not ready" to begin school. Whereas a "holdback" is one who "repeats" a grade for some reason.

It goes to logic that if this is academically mandated, that ACADEMICS be emphasized and not ATHLETICS. Otherwise there are selfish motivations by "big people" usually not in best interest of the kids.

Bottom line is we didn't take care of business in our play in (that showed up) and we got a lower seed than needed. Instead of beating Lincoln Co in SF (as last year), we had to meet them in Sweet 16. We were up by 9 then refs intervened. Anyone know how old 51 is on LC and why he was allowed to play next round after an ejection?? Video looked pretty bad. But I'm not surprised. Spencer #23 was something else.

Regardless we will line up against anyone but we are unable to recruit or hold back our kids. Ya get what ya get.....
GEAUXBABIN Wrote:Well, since one of my "little guys" was brought up, I have to chime in. I again have to differ with the prevailing opinion regarding "holdbacks". As usual, the devil is always in the details. Bottom line is a "late starter" is one who is "not ready" to begin school. Whereas a "holdback" is one who "repeats" a grade for some reason.

It goes to logic that if this is academically mandated, that ACADEMICS be emphasized and not ATHLETICS. Otherwise there are selfish motivations by "big people" usually not in best interest of the kids.

Bottom line is we didn't take care of business in our play in (that showed up) and we got a lower seed than needed. Instead of beating Lincoln Co in SF (as last year), we had to meet them in Sweet 16. We were up by 9 then refs intervened. Anyone know how old 51 is on LC and why he was allowed to play next round after an ejection?? Video looked pretty bad. But I'm not surprised. Spencer #23 was something else.

Regardless we will line up against anyone but we are unable to recruit or hold back our kids. Ya get what ya get.....

There are some great academic reasons for holding a child back. Anyone that isn't aware of all the benefits is simply uneducated on the subject of "holdbacks".
Is there somewhere to see who made 1st team second team and so on, for the tournament! Went to KBA and found nothing. I see people are throwing around the age 15 don't think they could be 15 that means BE 19 before there senior season.
Pages: 1 2