Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Billy Hicks going for his 900th career win tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to the KHSAA, Scott County coach Billy Hicks stands at 899 wins and will be trying to become the first coach in Kentucky high school history to record his 900th win tonight against Bryan Station. According to the National Federation of High School Associations Hicks has the 3rd most wins among active coaches in the United States, trailing only his friend Bob Hurley (1,130) of St. Anthony's in Jersey City, New Jersey and Tony Harper (957) of Cathedral High School in El Paso, Texas.

This season, so far, has probably been one of Hick's best and most surprising coaching performances. Scott County starts 3 freshmen, a sophomore and a junior and their 6th man is a freshman. They currently stand at 18-1 and are ranked in the top 10 in Kentucky. I don't think anyone except Hicks expected these results.

Not bad for an old Ages boy and Evarts High School alum.
we was talking about this other day. hicks does his best coaching with teams like he has this year.
He told me this team plays defense exactly like he teaches them to. He says while the kids are young they are very fun to coach. By the time they are 17 years old they start getting "dinner table coaching" at home. That is never, ever a good thing.

I actually thought one of his best coaching jobs was the 82/83 team at Evarts. They pulled some monumental upsets that year to win 20 games and get to the regional semi-finals. The team probably shouldn't have won 10 games but they didn't know it.

A few of his most memorable wins that come to mind are upsetting Lexington Catholic (#3 in USA Today) in the Sweet 16 semifinals, upsetting Littlerock Central (with NBA great Joe Jackson) at the City of Palms in Florida and upsetting Huntington with Patrick Patterson and OJ Mayo in Memorial Coliseum. His great wins are too numerous to list. His 97 team I think is the only Kentucky high school team to go undefeated against Kentucky competition since the 1940s.
Best recruiter in KY
You can say what you want BrokenArrow, but Hicks has won a state championship with a transfer (98) and with no transfers at all(07). Every single kid on his current team grew up in Georgetown, KY.. Just out of curiosity, how many teams in Kentucky do not allow transfers? I can't think of any.
BrokenArrow Wrote:Best recruiter in KY

A Clay fan and Bobby Keith supporter talking about another coach recruiting. That's classic. Lol.
Congrats to Coach Hicks, one of the best ever. I agree that this year just shows what a tremendous coach he is.

Thats so true, callmecrazy, Clay fans on here talking about getting cheated and now talking about a coach recruiting……if only there had been internet and computers back in the old Tiger Den days……...
Hicks is a gym rat. He loves the game. His record speaks for itself.