Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Exercise increases longevity. Does it? Maybe Not!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do you feel about what this guy is saying?

People say that exercise will improve longevity. This post wants to be so bold as to say that "as for longevity, less movement is better than more movement."

If you look at turtles, they usually can live for 100+ years. Why? Because turtles move very very slowly and is very very silent. This is determined by their biological structure, even if it wants to be fast and vigorous, it cannot. Compared to humans, turtle is surely the champion of longevity.

If you look at a car. The the longevity of a car depends very much on its engine. Similarly, a person's longevity depends very much on his heart. The heart is the engine of a person. There's a theory that says every person's total heartbeat in life is fixed. So if your heart beats quickly, then you'll die sooner than if your heart beats slowly.

People have calculated that if a regular person's heart rate is 70/second, and if you can reduce that to 50/second through exercise/sports, then you may live longer. But this is only a theory. There's been no supporting statistic. We all know that athlete's hearts beat very slowly, yet there's no data showing that athletes live longer than others. In fact, I'm willing to bet that there is data showing athletes on average have a shorter life-span than non-atheletes, precisely because of the over-vigor of their movements.

I believe people with long lifespans are not athletes, but those who lead a very calm life, such as scholars or artists. The reason is that scholars/artists usually have very peaceful minds, and do not have big emotional changes, and have very little psychological burden in life. In my childhood, I knew a teacher named Teacher Gong. In the 70's, Teacher Gong lost his job because of his "family background", and he had a huge psychological burden and spent all the time bemoaning his life, and as a result, even his face looks very unhealthy. But as the 90's came, he was politcally rehabilitated. And now, his mood/psychological state has been going up everyday. He just had his 80's birthday and had a very sumptuous and healthy face. Yet he almost never excercises, he spends most of his time in his study room reading books, painting, doing caligraphy, studying chinese chess games etc etc. So it seems that longevity actually has less to do with exercise/movement, but more to do with your psychological health.

Of course there should still be exercises. But I believe truly healthy exercises are things that are not very vigorous. Such as fishing, dancing, skating, swimming, singing, strolling, etc. Those things are all actually very peaceful and improves your mood. So I'd like to call them "mood improving" actions. And those "mood improving" actions are the real key to
longevity. It improves a person's psychological state, and makes your mind less intense and more calm, and you'll act very peacefully even to big disasters in life.

In the US, I am often baffled by Gyms. I think it is very bizzare and strange that people would drive 15 minutes, find a parking spot, just so they can spend 1 hour on a treadmill machine. Don't you think that is too utilitarian? I believe the alienation between people in the modern society is most actutely displayed in gyms. Why can't you jog in your own backyard? Are you not collecting fat when you sit in the car for 15 minutes driving to the gym? Of course, I'm only talking about the relationship between longevity and movement, if you go to the gym to develop big muscles and seduce young girls, then that is another issue.
wow thats interesting
it really is
well atletes in contact sports are also more prone to SERIOUS injury
true
i really have never thought of it like that...but i guess u have a point...
really interesting
this is an eye opening story
This is what i've been saying for years.. Laziness is good.
youll be the one lazy person that lives to be weell over 200. By then you will have 9552735365274457738 posts
By then I'll be the only one with an actual computer, and the only original member of BGR. Everyone else will be playing with the virtual reality stuff lol, and talking to their computer lol
QQ that posts makes absolutely no sense ...and since when are we like tutrles?

We cannot compare ourselves to turtles...

As for the rest of you, I dont see how you can sit here and not have an opinion on this crap... Smile

I agree the less stressed you are the longer you will live but not the less active...
Hahah,, in a way it makes sense though BGG. Think about it. The less stress you have on your heart the better off you are. Too get a low heartrate you do have to make it stronger, but some people like to over do it. Putting so much stress on their heart that it will stop sooner. If you lead a calm life, with some excersice then I think you should be ok. You do however have to keep in mind that you can intake all kinds of fat and stuff. But if you can just keep your cool all your life and be stress free then who's to say you won't live longer.
I agree with the less stressed part. I dont agree with the less active part. It's obvious that people who do not stress easily will live longer. So many people die early because they are completely stressed out from life, work, etc... they have a Type A personality and just cannot deal with stress effectively. I am so glad I am not one of those people. I rarely get stressed over anything. However, QQ is the complete opposite.
I don't think QQ's post meant for ya to become a full fledged couch potato, just that going to the gym for an hour a day, everyday, is somewhat ridiculous.
well, I just skimmed through his post since I am 3,000 posts behind ( yes, I have atleast that many to read since I havent logged on in almost 4 days).

It does make more sense as I read it and I agree I dont think a person needs to work out daily to live longer. I think there needs to be a good balance between work, play, and excercise...
Shew....QQ won't live much longer with all the stress he has put into this site.....

But I agree that some fitness is needed but that doesn't guarantee you a healthy life....my Grandfather was one of the healthies people that I knew...He ate everything healty...never smoked or drank....ran a couple of miles every day....he would run in races like the Bluegrass 10000 every year in Lexington....but still came down with cancer around the age of 80.....so being healthy and active doesn't ensure you a long life....I mean there are many people that are just the opposite of him and live well into their 90s.....
Actually he did live a longer life if you consider the average for a male which is 76 I think....
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:well, I just skimmed through his post since I am 3,000 posts behind ( yes, I have atleast that many to read since I havent logged on in almost 4 days).

It does make more sense as I read it and I agree I dont think a person needs to work out daily to live longer. I think there needs to be a good balance between work, play, and excercise...

Don't feel too bad. I'd say 2500 of them are post padding posts lol..
yeah, there's too much crap on here but I am a quick reader and I already read all of them..lol...
Wow.. You will live a long life i think lol
This makes alot of sense. But, i have a truck that has 204,000 miles of it. Its actually my stepdad's. But, i drive it when i want. This truck has been serviced everytime when needed. It runs like its brand new. If you run, the heart becomes stronger and it requires less beats to pump blood throughout the body. If you take care of it, by eating the right foods and keeping it strong, it can make you live longer. But, if it is a contact sport, depending on how long you play it, will make your life shorter. Look at most boxers after they retire, muhammid ali (sp) for example.
good point mario
well, i have heard over and over that exercise adds years to your life, i have to agree... back in the fall, i decited to get back in shape, so i went to the local walking track, jogged a mile. and yep, i agree, i felt two full years older trying to walk around up here.
haha funny bbfan
thats very interesting QQ u come up with some good stuff