Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well, what do you all think. With out Baker and Obryan, with the Cats be able to compete?
Unfortunately no matter how much they lost or down they might be I see them being better than my Devils at Russell.
Brown will be very, very good. Not as shifty as Baker, but he made his case with Baker out. I think the kid from Paintsville will be a good qb. Key for Ashland will be line play and developing their WRs. Defensively, O Bryan will be hard to replace. Much like Paintsville without Kash, without Drew and Quinten, Ashland loses that go to guy to make a play on both sides of the football. Ashland should be competitive with the local powers, but im not sure about the district. JC returns alot...
Won't be able to get by JC
I've always heard if you have two QB's you have none. I keep hearing the freshman from Paintsville is pretty good but I don't see Dowdy getting replaced as a senior. Ashland lost 95% of their offense and 99 % of their defense that's way to much to overcome if they are 500 next year I would be surprised
They have lost a lot of talent. I think the biggest question mark will be the O line and D line. I believe they started 5 seniors on the O line as well as Obryan at TE. That is going to be hard to replace. Brown will fill in well for Baker. Not the explosive back as Baker, but he will do well, that is, if the O line can come together. They might have to lean on passing the ball a little more this year with a weak line. Dowdy, though a very intelligent player, IMO, doesn't have the arm or size to be very affective. Ratliff is a better running qb, however not that consistent of a passer. Adkins has the size and arm, just not that much speed. It will be interesting to see what happens. Defensively, they need to sure up the secondary. Losing Obryan in the middle leaves a big hole. Coburn may be a nice fit for the middle line backer position. The majority of the defense will be a huge question mark. Hope it all comes together as early as possible. Beating JC will be the main thing on their mind come this fall..
I was thinking they started 4 seniors on the line but I could be wrong . Gobel , Jaxon Pruitt , Tyler Broughton, jay lane . I'm thinking Tj love played center
Anyway Raceland will be a tough test early especially on the line where Raceland returns all but 2 lineman
Grant Kruger (sp?) was the starting tackle. Love subbed in at times. Correct, I will be anxiously awaiting the start of the season.
That's who I was forgetting , grant was a good player
Next will be interesting. Atleast from a fans point of view, mich like my Rams, Ashland has a tendancy to underachieve when expectations are high and over achieve when expectations are low. I think the Kitty Cats will still finish 6-4/7-3, second in the district, and win a playoff game or two.
Lot of truth to that statement. 9-3 this year was disappointing in a lot of ways.
Since Ashland Blazer switched classes I'm not as familiar, but it seems like there was a lot of grumbling over how they performed this year. With a player like Baker who last year broke a couple huge runs on the Highlands defense, I'm surprised they didn't at least win their district and make a run at a regional title.
They finished 2nd in their district behind Johsnon central who played in the state championship game that's not all that terrible
I agree but when they outgained JC 2-1 and lost it was disappointing. When you go the next week and your D1 RB gets hurt playing defense in a meaningless game and your D1 LB gets hurt playing offense the same game and you limp into the playoffs it was disappointing.
washed up Wrote:I agree but when they outgained JC 2-1 and lost it was disappointing. When you go the next week and your D1 RB gets hurt playing defense in a meaningless game and your D1 LB gets hurt playing offense the same game and you limp into the playoffs it was disappointing.

Very true
washed up Wrote:I agree but when they outgained JC 2-1 and lost it was disappointing. When you go the next week and your D1 RB gets hurt playing defense in a meaningless game and your D1 LB gets hurt playing offense the same game and you limp into the playoffs it was disappointing.

Very poor coaching decisions, if you ask me.
^ I couldn't agree more.
Any district that has Johnson Central regardless of class would be difficult to win, Highlands always had a difficult time putting them away and winning the region. That game in 2010, they were a dropped pass and a two point conversion away from winning it late.

Ashland Blazer came to Highlands in the playoffs each year from 2012 - 2014, I want to say Quinton was hurt or sick for the first two but was able to play in 2014. I remember some of the Ashland Blazer fans grumbling about the offense being bland. Don't know if that presented the same scenario this year. The QB for Ashland in 2014 had a pretty solid and strong arm. I'm going to assume he graduated.

Based on Yustacould's post, I'm surprised a team would start a QB if he lacked the arm strength to get the ball downfield. Whether or not Ashland had the receivers to get open I don't know, but it would be so easy to pack the line if the QB's arm strength wasn't good enough to get the ball to his receivers. I would start the running QB that struggles with consistency (Ratliff?) if he can throw the ball downfield. Considering it seems like a credible running threat returns in the backfield and that QB is a running threat, that would be my primary focus. Seems like the QB situation really hurt Ashland this year from what I can gather.
Ashland should of never started dowdy at qb. Ryan kughlavon (sp) stayed open all year but dowdy never had the arm strength to throw it down field. Imo Ashland could and should of been a lot better
Word around school is that Ashland lost its starting running back for next year.
Brown ???
Arrested ?
Yes, Brown. I was texted this morning that he supposedly went to Spring Valley.
He came from spring valley so he might have went back
This puts a wrinkle in our offensive attack. Wonder what will happen next?
Maybe Ratliff at running ?
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Maybe Ratliff at running ?

Possibly. There are a few others that could do the job. Coburn is one that I would think about being back there, however, he might be too valuable at line backer. Ratliff does run the ball well. If that were the case, you would have Dowdy and Adkins as qb options. Our line will play a big part in how this season will go. If you don't have a line that blocks well, it doesn't matter who the qb or running back would be. It all starts with the "hogs".
Yustacould Wrote:Possibly. There are a few others that could do the job. Coburn is one that I would think about being back there, however, he might be too valuable at line backer. Ratliff does run the ball well. If that were the case, you would have Dowdy and Adkins as qb options. Our line will play a big part in how this season will go. If you don't have a line that blocks well, it doesn't matter who the qb or running back would be. It all starts with the "hogs".

Very true . Who is Adkins I don't know him
Will Adkins is a freshman, big kid 6'4 200 and some pounds. Good arm. He has a youtube video out, I saw it a week or so ago, good looking kid.
Pages: 1 2 3 4