Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan Co 54 Clay Co. 32
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HC opened the season with a big win at Clay Co after a less than spectacular showing in the Panorama at Williamsburg last week. After a very slow start from both teams, HC's size really took its toll on a very young Clay Co team as HC took the lead and never trailed in the game. Green led the way for HC with 19 points and 9 boards. Eighth grader Mathis led Clay with 16 points.
Clay Co has to be the youngest team in the state. Most of their players are in 7th-9th grade. This will only help them in the next few years. If their 3's are falling they can compete with teams in the region but if they aren't falling then it will be hard.
HC looked a lot better than they did against Williamsburg. They have a lot to work on to truly be a 13th region contender, but I think they will get there.

Clay was a little more down than what I had thought they would be especially reading some of the posts on the board, but give them a time to mature and they will be the region favorites again in the coming years.
It's the youngest Clay team I've seen - they started a senior, three freshmen and an eighth grader
Harlan Count doesn't seem like it, but they are young also with four sophomores and a freshman starting in the preseason. They actually had two freshmen starting Monday.
BearsFan Wrote:HC looked a lot better than they did against Williamsburg. They have a lot to work on to truly be a 13th region contender, but I think they will get there.

Clay was a little more down than what I had thought they would be especially reading some of the posts on the board, but give them a time to mature and they will be the region favorites again in the coming years.

Clay is going to have problems against teams with size, but there'll be nights that they will shoot the lights out from behind the arc. This team will grow and improve as the season progresses. Good, hardworking kids that are very coach able. I never said they'd be a region favorite. I just think they'll be better than most think by seasons end. I certainly look for less drama. That's an automatic improvement.
Coming into the season, I don't think I thought of how young Clay County actually was. However, knowing that you will have the same kids for the next 4-5 years as they continue to improve is a positive. Burchell will take care of things and in a year or two Clay County will be back where they were not too long ago.
Clay is very young but the future is very good for Clay.Green for Harlan is extremely talented and Harlan is playing exceptionally well.Clay will face major adversity every game with opponents that possess strong post players and size this season.It is difficult to win these games with no second chance opportunities like last night's game.
Clay is young by grade maybe, lol. I think some of their eighth graders (red shirt freshman) have their drivers permits... Clay will be competitive and make some noise come tournament time, but I don't think they will get much sympathy from the rest of the 13th region while going through those growing pains...
skyhawk14 Wrote:Clay is young by grade maybe, lol. I think some of their eighth graders (red shirt freshman) have their drivers permits... Clay will be competitive and make some noise come tournament time, but I don't think they will get much sympathy from the rest of the 13th region while going through those growing pains...

No one expects any sympathy, it's Clay County basketball. As for the red shirt comments, if they're legal, they're legal. You are beating a dead horse.
Won't be long before Mathis is the best player in the region, they add some shooters, and have a major presence inside again. Clay County dropped off and the rest of the region rose at the perfect time.
Yes, your correct perfectly legal and Clay County practically invented the hold back system or at least perfected it. That's why I think it's so ironic that they are waiving the "young" card, entertaining!!!
UKCC Wrote:Won't be long before Mathis is the best player in the region, they add some shooters, and have a major presence inside again. Clay County dropped off and the rest of the region rose at the perfect time.

Mathis will be a great player, but there is a lot of "young" talent in the 13th and that is a huge statement and will remain to be seen... I think there are several girls who will have much to say on who is the best in the region.
I dont know if clay invented it but I was held back in 8th grade back in 1985 in somerset. We held 8 8th grade boys back that year.
skyhawk14 Wrote:Yes, your correct perfectly legal and Clay County practically invented the hold back system or at least perfected it. That's why I think it's so ironic that they are waiving the "young" card, entertaining!!!

Actually we invented the transfer system, not the hold back system. Get your facts straight. The only "card" that is being "waved (not waived)" is black and gold. Thanks for letting us entertain you. You are obviously easy to entertain.
Nice grammer correction Walter... We all could benefit from a little english lesson this morning. It's about time we are finally getting some emotional responses on here. The girl side of this board has been dead all year, flipping boring. Just trying to stir the pot a little, I'm sure things will heat up soon. Plenty of games coming up this weekend and next week.
No offense taken. Every pot needs some stirring. I sometimes do it too. Pretty boring if we don't.
Way to calm it all down guys. Walter tell him you kick his a__ if you find out who he is or something.lol
oh and I never stir anything.
How big an old boy are ya?
We are just trying to get this board stirred up a little. Come on playmaker, you know it's too early in the season to be calling for any a$$kickings. LOL
Congrats Bears