Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Proposed changes to the state tournament and possible pitch count limitations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Saw this today on the KHSAA website. Comments anyone?

On Wednesday, the Board of Control approved a proposal from KHSAA staff to revise the schedule for the state baseball tournament during its regularly scheduled meeting at the Association’s headquarters. In an effort to alleviate competitive issues under the current format resulting from pitching limitations and roster depth, as outlined in the extensive research conducted by Lawrence County Athletic Director Travis Feltner and validated through staff review of the current format, the new format will provide a minimum of three days of rest between the quarterfinals and the semifinals. Beginning with this year’s state tournament, the revised format will allow teams the opportunity to use their pitchers at the top of the rotation in both the early rounds (first round/quarterfinals) and the later rounds (semifinals/championship).
“Pitching limitations are in place for the health and safety of our student-athletes,” KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett said. “In keeping with the overall desire of the membership to maintain a 16-team format, and yet alleviate identified problems with pitching restrictions, a change in schedule was necessitated.”
“The Association has always been a leader in minimizing risk for our student-athletes based on sports medicine research, as exemplified by this action as well as our recent changes regarding contact in football,” said Board of Control President Jeff Saylor.
Working in conjunction with representatives from the Lexington Legends, the revised format for this year’s Rawlings/KHSAA State Baseball Tournament will be as follows:
Thursday, June 9 – First Round games (11 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 6:30 and 8 p.m.)
Friday, June 10 – First Round games (11 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 6:30 and 8 p.m.)
Saturday, June 11 – Quarterfinals (11 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 6:30 and 8 p.m.)

Friday, June 17 – Semifinals (6:30 and 8 p.m.)
Saturday, June 18 – Championship (7 p.m.)
In addition to discussing the format of the state baseball tournament, the Board heard a first reading of a proposal to adopt pitch count restrictions in the continued interest of student-athlete health and safety. Among the various recommendations being considered for adoption is the USA Baseball Pitch Smart guidelines, which can be found at this link: https://goo.gl/TFnIvC. Final adoption is scheduled for the January Board meeting following clarification of specifically identified sports medicine issues, with the new regulations set to go into effect for the 2016 season.
Just another example of JT doing it his way! Not sure how this helps but it's obvious that the board is not willing to class and they use this as a way to postpone it. I would like to see the proposal made by the AD. I'm sure that this story don't show the real evidence found and the support of the schools across the state. JMO
HOMER Wrote:Just another example of JT doing it his way! Not sure how this helps but it's obvious that the board is not willing to class and they use this as a way to postpone it. I would like to see the proposal made by the AD. I'm sure that this story don't show the real evidence found and the support of the schools across the state. JMO

Homer, I'm not sure what you mean. The AD's are who votes for this, the KHSAA (or JT) has zero authority, thus it did come from the schools. Our AD talked to our head coach before making his vote. I personally do not like the State tournament format change, but the rest of it I could go either way.

I saw the proposal by the AD as well as several coaches thoughts and comments through the email chains. They all had merit, but the voting AD's were intent to take the original document as proposed in committee. But, the committee was made up of the schools, not JT.....
This is very similar to how other states do the state playoffs. However, the biggest difference is they are doing it this way and they have class systems. Every round of the playoff is at a different location until you get to the finals which is always in the same place. Each round is usually made up of four schools until the semi's, and each team gets to throw their best two pitchers in each round, and then you have a week between the semi finals and the finals where all your classes play their championship game. So basically, every team gets to use their #1 in the semi's and the finals. The way it is set-up now in KY, even if a small school does somehow make the finals they are down to using their #3 and #4 guys to get there, and there are several 5A and 6A schools that have division 1 type pitchers as their #3 and #4. Until KY goes to class systems this is an alternate solution but it still doesn't solve everything.
If I'm not reading it wrong. It sound like to me they are rewarding the best player instead of the best team.
You get a trophy. And you get a trophy. And you get a trophy.