Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: DeSales @ Mayfield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What a game we have for 2a semifinals in the west. We have the defending 2a state champs of 2 years in a row visiting the new kids on the block, who themselves have won the last 3 1a state championships. Who you got and why?
Can we get a poll please?
I like the talk in this one about who is really the man so to speak. There has been many things said back and forth, not just here but on just about every form of communication there is. The latest thing I read was that DeSales has the best defense in 2a and they put up over 30 points on the second best defense in 2a, CAL, on Friday. That spurred me to do a little comparison.

The first thing that I noticed was if you take out the 37 points that the #8 team in 6a scored on Mayfield in an OT game, they would have given up fewer points than DeSales. I also noticed that in looking at the latest AP polls, Mayfield had played 8 of their 13 games against teams that were ranked in their perspective classifications. Also Mayfield has not played anyone in their class or the lower class that was not mandated by district or playoffs. DeSales on the flip side, has only played 4 games against teams ranked in their perspective classifications. They played a 1a team in this schedule as well.

In looking at the opponents combined schedule that DeSales played, I learned that it was 77-76. In looking at Mayfield's opponents combined schedule, I learned that it was 81-72. Now through this schedule, DeSales opponents if averaged out would be good for 25 points per game on their combined schedules. DeSales did well by only allowing those same teams to score an average of 8 points per game. Now, on what appears to be the slightly tougher Mayfield schedule, this is what I noticed. Mayfield's opponents averaged a score through their season of 26 points per game. Mayfield however did well in holding these teams to an average of 11 points per game.

Mayfield played 8 teams this year that at least made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. They also played 4 teams that at least made it to the regional finals. They also played 1 team that is still in the semis.

DeSales played 6 teams that at least made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. They also played 3 teams that made it to at least the regionals. They also have played 1 team that is still in the semis.

Another important factor is that Mayfield went 12-1 in this schedule. DeSales went 11-2 on their schedule. Both teams had a key injury during the season, and Mayfield had 2. DeSales injury has healed and Mayfield has only 1 still out.

I just thought this might help people to be able to put this into perspective. It looks to be a great match up.
I think it says a lot for Mayfield's program that they can move up in class and still be an elite team at the state level without skipping a beat. I don't know much about Desales having tow multiple time defending state champions play rah other makes it sound like this could be the best semifinal game this week. Personally I would like to see Mayfield win 2A this year just so everyone can see how tough it was for the 1A schools to knock them off.
Danville has the best defense,and will knock Mayfield off after they survive a slugfest against DeSales Smile
The Desales QB doesn't impress me anymore than anything we have seen in the playoffs thus far, and the Desales crew are really touting him, sure he may have just a tad more speed than the OC QB had but I think the Butler QB was on par with this kid, its just that Desales has a better receiving corp.
gobigredMHS Wrote:The Desales QB doesn't impress me anymore than anything we have seen in the playoffs thus far, and the Desales crew are really touting him, sure he may have just a tad more speed than the OC QB had but I think the Butler QB was on par with this kid, its just that Desales has a better receiving corp.

Mayfield is fundamentally sound and that is why they survive and advance.
Mayfield wins by 7 because that is what they do.
mayfield wins
Mayfield 27 DeSales 21
Should be a great match up. Survive, and advance. Looking forward to making my first trip to Mayfield.
pjdoug Wrote:Danville has the best defense,and will knock Mayfield off after they survive a slugfest against DeSales Smile

Phunny stufff.... :lmao::lmao::please::please::gtfo:
Mayfield will put up 20+ points on desales
ontopofthewest Wrote:Phunny stufff.... :lmao::lmao::please::please::gtfo:

What in the wide wide world of sports does phunny mean? You've completely lost it now ,and turned into a delusional Belfry fan, or alter ego to 55Confusedtare:
Well, this one has seemingly been building up since about midway through the 2013 season when Desales began showing everyone what they were capable of. The two of the big dawgs in classes 1-3A, that have had BOTH fan bases arguing that they could compete and win state championships in any of the top 4 classes.

I have to pull for the former 1A school, as I have said many times that I thought the top 1-4/5 teams in 1A could have made it nearly just as if not as far or further in the playoffs, had they been in 2A (namely 2013/2014 Williamsburg, Raceland, and Pikeville and 2014 Williamsburg, Raceland, Pikeville and possibly Paintsville and Hazard). But, I really have really enjoyed following the DeSales program from a distance over the last few years. This should be an incredible ball game an incredible amount if speed. Going with the Cards.

Mayfield 35
DeSales 32
I hope Mayfield wins. I haven't attended a game since McCracken game due to I babysit on Fridays when not forced to work overtime. I also need Western Kentucky to beat Marshal so the schedule will change to 2a on Sunday. Ive already took that day off. Come on Mayfield, come on WKU I need help so I can see 1 last game this year. I sure wish I could attend the semi final game Friday. This game should be a tossup. 55 favorite rating system calpreps has Desales by 1 on a neutral field. They haven't updated weekly projections yet though.
Mayfield by 7...
pjdoug Wrote:What in the wide wide world of sports does phunny mean? You've completely lost it now ,and turned into a delusional Belfry fan, or alter ego to 55Confusedtare:

I do believe you are obsessed with Belfry fans! :lame:
I'll make the short drive from West Paducah to Mayfield to see a good game. I'm a McCracken fan and see the score 27-13 Mayfield. I've seen Mayfield twice at War Memorial Stadium and once at McRight Field. I've seen Tilghman 3 times, Murray, Mayfield, and Central Hardin. Mayfield is Mayfield and McCracken will be back next year in the playoffs.
Blue, you guys would still be alive if not for that serious injury. I just can't understand why in God's creation your new coach used a freshman QB in that pressure filled spot. Had he gone to Hughes, you would still be alive.
DeSales will give us one heck of a game. I just think our boys will take care of business. PJ, if we get past DeSales you are close to something. The name Danville is worth an extra 7 points when it comes to Mayfield. That's why I say we would win that one in a close 35-20 type game.
I like Mccracken but i never thought Hughes touched the ball enough if he was at Mayfield him and Bright would be in the same backfield alternating touches and be unstopable.
:Shaking:
Danville hasnt been good in last 7 or 8 years but as soon as the Cards move uo to 2A their antenna goes up and they are tough again maybe we can get Desalles and them tough road to hoe this year.
I like the tougher road though. However, last year was pretty darn tough too. Beechwood and Williamsburg scared the heck out of me. Can't get much tougher than having to drive 5.5 hours to play a bigger and possibly more physical team one week and then traveling 2.5 hours to pay a similar team to us and have to go to OT to win by 1.
I will be pulling for mayfield 110% because they will need it to beat DeSales. And to all of mayfield fans and posters I'm drinking the water. H2O little man water. :partyhard

Mayfield 38
DeSales 35
Crossbones Wrote:I do believe you are obsessed with Belfry fans! :lame:

don't flatter your arrogant self :trolldad:
mysonis55 Wrote:DeSales will give us one heck of a game. I just think our boys will take care of business. PJ, if we get past DeSales you are close to something. The name Danville is worth an extra 7 points when it comes to Mayfield. That's why I say we would win that one in a close 35-20 type game.

I think 2 A is up for grabs,but I'm sticking with Danville Smile
pjdoug Wrote:don't flatter your arrogant self :trolldad:

No arrogance here, you are the one to bring up Belfry in a thread that not one single Belfry fan posted in. :eyeroll: you really need to get that Pirate crush looked at.Confusedhh:
64, we are better than last year. Are you really concerned? I'm sending you an extra barrel of water for this weeks game. It will help in the upset.
Crossbones Wrote:No arrogance here, you are the one to bring up Belfry in a thread that not one single Belfry fan posted in. :eyeroll: you really need to get that Pirate crush looked at.Confusedhh:

arrogance and wishful thinking on your part as usual. I'm for any team that beats Belfry Smile
Pages: 1 2