Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: North Laurel 17 - Southwestern 7 (Final)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
North Laurel 17 - Southwestern 7
Tight End Wrote:North Laurel 17 - Southwestern 7

:rockon:
Lilly, come out and play........
Congratulations North Laurel :Cheerlead upset baby!!!! :Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead
I don't see it as an upset. Let's face it, SW wasn't anywhere near the team their faithful would have you believe. And, North Laurel is much better than they've been given credit.
Congratulations Jags. You were the best team tonight in all aspects except penalties. Great coaching job. Great call on the 3rd and 10. You attacked SW weakness and took it to the house.

Good Luck next week, you will need it.
Congrats to Jags.
North who??? Shhhhhh!!!!
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: God Bless & Go JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wont be expecting Jim Rome around for a while.

Although im sure SW is still his number one team, even after the loss.
Jim who?
Great hard hitting game... Congrats to the Jags, you deserved to get the win. Two fairly matched teams, the Jags won the turnover battle and thus the game. Good luck next week, you guys are going to be facing a real buzz saw in Pulaski.
Looks like we will have to wait another year for that SW State Title that French was bringing.
Looks like the schedule issue has been answered. I don't mind crow for breakfast when it's served with an extra large side order of Jaguar win. What a great game! If coach Chris Larkey doesn't win the 5A Coach of the Year Award they need to quit handing it out. Congrats!
DEMARCUS I am feeling your pain from a week ago. I need Granny Bear to mentor me through this feeling of despair.
SW had their chances. SW just didnt get it done. Without edwards I was afraid SW couldnt get much offense going and they didnt. North without Nelson would be very similiar except edwards was used alot more in the passing game for sw. Coach Larkey and staff and kids done a heck of a job. loved the reverse and called at the right time. They threw the ball and kept sw honest and took advantage of sw secondary.
Cong: to my friend Chris. Wonderful year. Good Luck to you, your staff and your Team.
Paul Crewe Wrote:Lilly, come out and play........

I am here Paul. Another example of how SW is not ready for primetime like our delusional fans think.
Great job by the Jaguars. Good luck next week.
Madness Wrote:Looks like we will have to wait another year for that SW State Title that French was bringing.

I'm a Pulaski fan so it kills me to say this , that very well could happen next year! SW has a heck of a team coming back next year, Dalton, Edwards,and the Brock kid that came out of nowhere the past couple of games just to name a few! It takes about 3 or 4 year to build a program and that's just what French is doing!
Thought the Jaguar defense was the real story in this one, stopping Southwestern four separate times on fourth down, including twice in the red zone. And the late pass call by Larkey showed huge cahunas, if it's incomplete you save them a t.o. and they'll have about two minutes left to tie or win. The absolute high point to date in the history of this program. Next week is a monumental task, because Pulaski is in a different world right now, but we'll show up and give it a whirl.
Think SW has some good players, but the rest of the team has not bought in to the team concept, think some are not fired up about the support roles. Also don't think the kids are responding well to the pressure put on them by coaches. Hard for kids to be told at beginning of the season they are the best in the state and then when they play a good team and lose they are the worst team ever. Have said all year they were not a top 5 team in 5A they need depth to many skill players playing both ways. Think they have become like the bunnies across the road and have become arrogant and trash talking instead of just playing the game. Sorry just my opinion
Who ever said North would have to bring a passing game too was right. I knew McWhorter was a passing QB had watched him too much in middle school & jv. Also that North Defense was spot on last night, could not have done any better! Congrats North, job well done team!
Blitzer Wrote:Who ever said North would have to bring a passing game too was right. I knew McWhorter was a passing QB had watched him too much in middle school & jv. Also that North Defense was spot on last night, could not have done any better! Congrats North, job well done team!

Lets not forget why the pass game worked. RUN GAME. That is why.
NORTH defense was great last night. Best I have seen them play all year.
In reading the pregame threads on this game, SW wasn't giving NL any shot against them.. A lot of crow pie served by the Jags last night. Let's face it, regardless of the schedule you play, if you're playing a 5a district schedule and just a tough non district game or 2, 9-1 is a solid record and you have to be pretty good to do that.. While they'll be an underdog from here out, wouldn't surprise me to see them make to BG, similar to how Graves Co kind of came out of nowhere last year..
Little Jim Black magic on the defense for the Jaguars.
Congrats to North Laurel...
Congratulations to North Laurel last night. You deserved to win. But, you will find out next Friday night where you really stand.

I do want to point a couple of things for people who aren't close to SW's program and maybe weren't actually at the game last night.

Other than one big run in the first quarter and a blown pass coverage at the end, SW's defense held a 3,000+ yard rushing team to very little yardage. NL had only scored 10 points with about 2 minutes left in the game. Our defense gave us a chance to win even though they stayed on the field all night because our offense couldn't get a first down or turned it over.

Without Edwards, our offense is horrible. He makes yardage out of nothing. Gover is a very good runner but Edwards will be one of the best to ever come out of this area. Most any decent defense holds us to very few points. Other than a couple of kids, our O line is not very good and not very strong. However, we continue to try and run over people. We have some other offensive weapons but we rarely use them and continue to run the same 4-5 plays over and over. Not to mention, 2 of our 4 losses (Bourbon & NL) might have been avoided had we attempted a field goal instead of going for it on 4th down when we know our offense is struggling.

With that being said, I am very glad Coach French came when he did and turned this team around. He is a great coach. They will continue to progress. Also, we had a good bunch of seniors who finished with two very good seasons and stayed with it even after the fiasco they had to endure their first two years. We are proud of them and may get to see a couple of them play on Saturdays next year.
NL is now 1-1 vs the top 7000 teams in maxpreps. By comparison Pulaski is 6-1.
I must admit I was one of those SW fans that thought we be right there with PC in the running for a state title.

I was really excited about SW chances this year. We returned a lot of players that were District champs and regional runner Up's. I figured our QB would be much improved with a year of experience. I thought with Gover and Edwards in the back field, Turbo at tight end and Butte and JP at receiver we would be hard to stop. We could spread it around having 5 weapons. But with Butte not playing, Edwards getting hurt and not getting the ball to Turpin. Coupled with the two quarterback system we became one dimensional and low powered.

Good news is we played with a lot of young players that got valuable experience. And the great news is Riley Hall graduates after 23 years (I know it probably wasn't that long but it seems that long).

Since Jim is MIA I am changing my name to Willie Rome. Someone has to be the voice of unreason.

2016 Class 5A Rankings
1. Southwestern
2. South Laurel
3. Bowling Green
4. Highlands
5. Whitley County
Pages: 1 2 3